PDA

View Full Version : New Revit 2012 API breakdown

sgermano
March 25th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Hi guys, there are some really cool new API enhancements to 2012. If you havent had a chance to check them out yet you can here: http://ibdrg.typepad.com/ibd-resource-group/2011/03/2012-revit-mep-changes.html

Alex Cunningham
March 25th, 2011, 02:39 PM
What does this mean to us meer mortals? I have no idea what this can do for us. Anyone care to elaborate on the API

joseguia
March 25th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Should mean cooler apps that can do cooler things .. you know .. for cool people.

dzatto
March 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I guess that leaves you out Alex.

OOOHHH Gotcha!! lol

Seriously though, thanks for asking the question since I too have no clue what API even stands for. lol

Alex Cunningham
March 25th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I am so cool... I even know what API stands for. Application Programing Interface DUH!!!

It's okay Dan, we never have expected much from you anyways BURN!!!!

JTB
March 25th, 2011, 04:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

It is what was missing from pre 2010 releases, that's why we didn't have any plugins for Revit... It gets better with every release...
The success of AutoCAD was that it became a platform for CAD apps... it was not only a CAD app...

joseguia
March 25th, 2011, 04:59 PM
In a way the API is for REVIT what LISP is for CAD.

Then there's VSTA which also gives you API functionality and its built right in, VSTA is a good way to expose yourself to REVIT innards and play with the API to create or break.

dzatto
March 25th, 2011, 08:15 PM
But I'm scared to look around Revit's innards. That's why I have friends like you Jose! :thumbsup:

joseguia
March 25th, 2011, 08:39 PM
Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis .. all I know how to do is check my email .. I'm not quite sure how I even managed to get onto this site ..

btw - Thanks for sharing the link sgermano!

mdradvies
March 28th, 2011, 08:39 PM
But I'm scared to look around Revit's innards. That's why I have friends like you Jose! :thumbsup:

I'm getting my first day course on Revit's innards on thursday. I'll let you know what they look like...

joseguia
March 28th, 2011, 08:48 PM
to quote one of the greatest movies ever ...
"I just want to tell you .. good luck. We're all counting on you."

=)

sgermano
March 30th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Your welcome! If anyone is thinking of diving into the API let me know, there are alot of great resources on the web for beginners. I was even thinking of putting together a blog post to compile all my notes and reference material for anyone who would want to start programming the API. Would you guys find this useful?

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Willis .. all I know how to do is check my email .. I'm not quite sure how I even managed to get onto this site ..

btw - Thanks for sharing the link sgermano!

joseguia
March 30th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Your welcome! If anyone is thinking of diving into the API let me know, there are alot of great resources on the web for beginners. I was even thinking of putting together a blog post to compile all my notes and reference material for anyone who would want to start programming the API. Would you guys find this useful?

I think that would be awesome,what would we have to do to nudge you to provide us the info =)

mdradvies
March 30th, 2011, 07:48 PM

YES PLEASE!!! All help would be very useful...

mdradvies
March 31st, 2011, 09:09 PM
So, I've had my first day of API... Are your ears supposed to bleed afterwards???
I'll be sending in a blog post one of these days, if only to stop the knowledge draining out of my head. Or at least channel it into something that I can reread in the near future for reference.
For now, I'll call it a day. I'm going to tilt back half a bottle of 18yr scotch to stop my head from spinning and off to bed...

Alex Cunningham
March 31st, 2011, 09:19 PM
Dude its only 2:18 PM. LOL

KiwiCodes
April 1st, 2011, 12:08 AM
... I'm going to tilt back half a bottle of 18yr scotch to stop my head from spinning and off to bed...

Mate, that is the only way I can sleep ;)

Alex Cunningham
April 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
Thats gona get expensive... You better charge more for your software. Its worth more.

KiwiCodes
April 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thats gona get expensive... You better charge more for your software. Its worth more.

Well that may be true, but have you ever tried to sell software to Architects etc... Its like draining Blood from a stone LOL.

Munkholm
April 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM
...but have you ever tried to sell software to Architects etc... Its like draining Blood from a stone LOL.

Ouch......

joseguia
April 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
Well that may be true, but have you ever tried to sell software to Architects etc... Its like draining Blood from a stone LOL.

so thats the reason not all firms have made the "SWITCH" .. LOL .. gotcha

sgermano
April 7th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I started the blog post on programming for the Revit API. Part 1 will cover the basics, and where to find help when you need it or when you get coders block.

http://ibdrg.typepad.com/ibd-resource-group/2011/04/how-to-start-programming-for-the-revit-api.html

Part 2 will cover the Revit API potion, where to start and who to turn to when you feel like you need a bottle of scotch to ease the pain because your code is not cooperating! ;)

Ian.Kidston
April 7th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the effort on Part 1 - interesting and very clear. Looking forward to part 2.

Cheers

mdradvies
April 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Nice, it will be on my RSS-feed!