PDA

View Full Version : Question: 'Acquire Coordinates' Command Does Nothing

truthjusticeUSAway
December 16th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I'm trying to link a structural file with my MEP file except when I press the Coordinates -> Acquire Coordinates button, nothing happens. I'm assuming a directory is supposed to pop up so I can find the structural file I'm looking for. Has anybody run in to this or am I missing something?

I'm in Revit 2014.

James
December 16th, 2013, 01:13 PM
are you linking the file in, acquiring co-ordinates, then publishing to the link?

Twiceroadsfool
December 16th, 2013, 01:50 PM
When you click Acquire Coordinates, the cursor is now waiting for you to select a Linked File to acquire the coordinates from. You need to click the button, then select the file to use in the acquisition.

truthjusticeUSAway
December 16th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Alright, I'm getting that. So do I click the struct or do I click the floor plan I'm linking the struct into? Either way right now when I click, I get a message telling me the two share coordinates already but they do not match up on screen whatsoever.

truthjusticeUSAway
December 16th, 2013, 01:59 PM
OK so now I get the actual structural to appear by deleting whatever was coming in when I linked it, scrolling down to RVT Links in the browser, and manually creating an instance. I aligned it to the model using the steel callout lines and it appears to work, but I still was never able to get the acquire coordinates command to work.

James
December 16th, 2013, 02:04 PM
click aquire co-ordinates in your model (you will get no prompt, it will acquire the co-ordinates of the current open model), then click publish and click on the linked file and it will publish them to it. (will be the "boxed" link in the file)

you may get an error if you have 2 locations when acquiring/publishing - if so you will have to delete one of the locations. the one not in use!
when you save the file, it will prompt to save the new location to the link to - answer yes so it updates the link.

truthjusticeUSAway
December 16th, 2013, 02:24 PM
I don't know what you mean by "click publish". I click on Acquire coordinates, I click on the structural link, it tells me "The shared coordinate system of the project you selected is already synchronized with the current project". That's all I get. There's no command for publish anywhere. I don't know what you mean by "2 locations when acquiring/publishing". I have my central model and my structural model.

James
December 16th, 2013, 02:27 PM

is the publish command, under acquire.

truthjusticeUSAway
December 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM
OK. I clicked acquire, then I clicked publish and clicked on the linked Struct file. It doesn't look like anything happened, but is that all I had to do?

James
December 16th, 2013, 02:52 PM
click save, it should prompt to save the linked files location.

Steve_Stafford
December 16th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Deep breath, back up....

You need to back up and start over and because you've already acquired coordinates it is more involved. You need to break the relationship that's been created between your file and theirs.

Reset Shared Coordinates

Create a new blank project file
Put a pair of crossing grids in plan so you can see it when it is linked later.
Save the Project

Open your model
Delete the linked structure model (make sure it isn't on the list of RVT in the project Browser still)
Insert ribbon > Link Revit > your temporary new blank project
Positioning: Auto - Origin to Origin
Manage ribbon > Coordinates > Acquire Coordinates > select the blank project you imported (note Status Bar instruction)
Save your project - it now thinks it is in sync with this new project instead.

Establish Shared Coordinates with Structure

Delete the blank project we used earlier
Insert ribbon > Link Revit > the structure model
Positioning: Auto - Origin to Origin

Where is their model relative to yours? Are they lined up?

When trades link models together they should start with Origin to Origin because that's all they have as a common reference. Where is the architect in this process? Projects often start with the architect and they establish the coordinate relationship with the site and survey data. Is that not how this project is organized? Did your firm begin modeling without a background model to work inside? Ideally we don't model anything until we have at least a basic reference model to link/import using Origin to Origin.

If your model and theirs are not lined up, do you have a common point you can use to move the link so that it does?

Assuming you do then move the link so it lines up properly.
Use the same Acquire Coordinates tool and select their link
Delete the link
Insert the link again
Positioning: by Shared Coordinates
Save your work

Your model should now be in sync with theirs until (IF) they alter shared coordinates again. If they do you'll have to repeat the process.

James
December 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM
nice tips, it becomes a headache when you have about 7 shared files, but they are sharing off different ones!

DaveP
December 17th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Nice write-up, Steve!

Something that has bugged me ever since the Project/Survey Points have been exposed is that you can't turn on the Project Base Point in a Link!
Seems to me that is half of why you'd want to see the PBP. If you could see both the Parent's PBP and the Link's PBP, you could figure out exactly how far to move the Link - or even move it by Snapping. Then you would have to draw a Grid at Origin.

cellophane
December 17th, 2013, 02:58 PM
Steve's post probably covers it but if you haven't seen his posts on shared coordinates they are well worth a read:

Revit OpEd: Shared Coordinate Post Summary (http://revitoped.blogspot.com/2012/05/shared-coordinate-post-summary.html)