PDA

View Full Version : Most users per central file?

Jrobker
April 5th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Whoa, did we hit a wall. I feel like im doing the crab walk in 10' deep mud.
I know revit is painfully slow to begin with, but this is unusual.
It is taking me near 1 minute to copy text...yep good ole dumb text.

If we have 5 users in the central file we are good, but the minute the 6th person enters...revit will shart itself.
So far we have been celebrating shart week.

We have no issue with our server.
Any switch that connects to the main switch has a minimum of a 2 GB connection.
Windows 2008 R2 server
HP MSA 2010 storage with a 10GB connection to the backbone.

CPU Specs
3.7 turbo quad dual 8 core
Zeon E3 i7 extreme liquid cooled.
2GB video radeon 6950
16 GB 1866 memory
850 watt power
160GB SSD
1 TB additional drive.
Asus Specialized motherboard

Our server is sick!
My CPU is sick!

revit is (literally sick)

Sooo...
Has anyone else noticed a slowdown with the amount of local copies per session?
What is the most amount of users you have had modeling simultaneously in their respective locals?

PS.

Our model size =111MB
Total including links 700MB

Alex Cunningham
April 5th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Does it matter who the 6th person is?

Steve_Stafford
April 6th, 2012, 12:42 AM
Create new locals each day?
Used Audit?
Compact?
How many Review Warnings?
Anything major in particular get done to the design (model)?
Is one PC in the mix particularly weaker in specs than the rest?

Better if links are unloaded? (close worksets they are assigned to, better than unloading first)
Any chance something major changed in the linked files?
If there are significant issues in the links they could be affect performance in your host (possibly)
Did you just get updated links, coincidentally, very recently?

You can try cleaning out the .ini cache for worksets.
Examine the user Revit.ini file > remove the data under Workset section (a cache of workset "history")
There is a installed default Revit.ini and user Revit.ini files, it will be in user version. To be sure you can search the pc for all the .ini files and check.
I don't know for sure that will help but it sure helped me with performance when I was not connected to a network that I was connected to temporarily anymore.

Jrobker
April 6th, 2012, 12:51 AM
We do create locals everyday (to purge journals). Even though the factory specifically told me that was unnecessary.
No audit yet. It is working fine now that 4 users have gone home.
No review warnings
Nothing major in model. The odd thing was, it worked fine for about 3 hours (all six) than WHAMO, hit the wall.
2 CPUs are not as good as the others, but for revit specs (min requirements) are more than efficient.
I detached from central and had no problems. The model was lightning fast. I will try and unload links tomorrow, when problem persist.
We have not updated links or opened links, so I know of no issues that could have presented themselves.

I will try cleaning out the .ini files tomorrow when the users return.

It does not matter who the 6th person is.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks.

Steve_Stafford
April 6th, 2012, 12:58 AM
I brought up 11 things and you answer nope, sheesh. You've either decided the answer is six people or you actually did everything I wrote already. Not sure which. Either way we will need more clues...

Gordon Price
April 6th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Never noticed a major slowdown from a specific number, but I have noticed a major slowdown and stability impact the minute anyone on the team isn't connected at 1Gb. And I have seen switches just kind a randomly drop one port to 100Mb. That and some NICs will just randomly (it seems ;) ) go to 100Mb. I would track down what ports everyone on the team is on, and see if one of them is a slow port, for whatever reason. And also look at the switch log, and see if one port is getting a ton of resends. that also will cause that user to lock up the central file for long periods of time.

Gordon

Alex Cunningham
April 6th, 2012, 01:39 AM
When Saving to central do you get a notice that you are waiting for others to finish saving? How often are people auto syncing?

Jrobker
April 6th, 2012, 03:40 PM
When Saving to central do you get a notice that you are waiting for others to finish saving? How often are people auto syncing?
We are not being placed in the sync ques.
Auto syncing? Are you talking about reminders or worksharing update frequency (if so 30 -60 sec)?

Steve, I have have done every test except for:
cleaning out the .ini cache & looking at the switch logs.

I am currently working with IT on this because of the randomness of behavior.
5 users fine I get in last...no good.
5 users fine, someone else gets in last..no good.
Appears to me that we have reached a limit.

How many users have any of you had in at one time?

MPwuzhere
April 6th, 2012, 04:13 PM
I've noticed significant slowdowns with 9 people in one model.....but that is when we were all in the same office and using one workset....

Steve_Stafford
April 6th, 2012, 05:56 PM
I've had or worked with firms with between 12-15 at one time in a single project file.

mog505
April 11th, 2012, 12:27 PM
We have more users using less good hardware and have no issues at all. (mere 4 core 2.7ghz processors)
As a result have set a general rule that any model over 200mb is too big and Revit struggles to handle the file sizes without doing some rather interesting and occasionally random things.
Generally the remedy is to split up the M&E model into separate M and E portions and link them together so you can coordinate.

troygates
April 24th, 2012, 04:13 PM
We have several models (MEP) over 200 mb and had some slowdowns with around 8 people working in the models. When we moved to Revit Server for all projects the slow downs went away. You might want to look into a Revit server, even if its just for a single office it has a better system for synching models. Something else to check for is CAD links. Seen those slow down projects before also.