PDA

View Full Version : Adding To A Circuit

dzatto
July 12th, 2012, 09:18 PM
I have a circuit with 4 strip lights. I added 3 more, but Revit won't let me add them to the circuit. Why?

They are the same light. The circuit is big enough to handle it. The weird thing is, it will let me add some troffer lights. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to add stuff to a circuit?

I tried manually connecting them with wire, but that just made it part of the electrical network, not the circuit.

tzframpton
July 13th, 2012, 02:31 AM
I have a circuit with 4 strip lights. I added 3 more, but Revit won't let me add them to the circuit. Why?

They are the same light. The circuit is big enough to handle it. The weird thing is, it will let me add some troffer lights. What am I doing wrong? Is there another way to add stuff to a circuit?

I tried manually connecting them with wire, but that just made it part of the electrical network, not the circuit.If you don't get an answer by morning I'll show this to my cube buddies.... two senior electrical engineers who are Revit savvy. Be back in the mo'nin! :)

tzframpton
July 13th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Check your connectors to see if the voltages are the same. So for instance, make sure you're not trying to connect 277v connector to a 120v circut.

Aaronb
July 13th, 2012, 02:09 PM
How are you adding them to the circuit? There are a couple of ways - you can either edit the circuit you want to add them to, and use the Add tool, or you can right-click on the connector of the light you want to add and use the Add to Circuit option there. If neither of those methods work, then there's something else wrong.

dzatto
July 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Yep, first thing I checked. Basically, I have a circuit already created and decided to add 3 more light to it. I copied the same lights over, but they won't add to the circuit. Since I'm not showing my connected loads in my panels, just the breaker size, I just add some wire to the other fixtures and called it a day. I'd like to know why this happened, though.

I guess I could delete all the lights and start over, but who wants to do that? :laugh:

Thanks for trying, though! I do appreciate it.

Aaron:
I didn't know about the right click option, but it doesn't work, either. It lets me select the circuit, but doesn't add it.

Aaronb
July 13th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hmm, I'm trying to visualize the workflow here. When you right click on the connector and Add to Circuit, do you see this?

Then after you select the circuit, you should see this:

Then the last step is to hit the "Arc Wire" button, and the wire will be added to the circuit.

Note that Wires are little more than glorified annotation objects, and just connecting lights with Wires won't actually add them to a circuit. Hope that helped some.

dzatto
July 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I select the fixture, right click the connector, add to circuit. Then, when I choose a light in the circuit, I get the same as you have in picture 1. That's it. It let's me select the circuit, but nothing happens. It doesn't add to it. So I don't get picture 2 or 3 (obviously).

I knew that putting the wire in doesn't actually connect it to the circuit. I only did it to make it look connected in plan, so the electrician knows the same switch runs all the fixtures. Sort of a quick fix, if you will.

I'm about to delete the entire circuit and start over. Actually, I just realized I can delete the circuit without deleting all the fixtures, right? So I'll try that and report back in a few. About to go into a meeting...

Aaronb
July 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
I'm about to delete the entire circuit and start over. Actually, I just realized I can delete the circuit without deleting all the fixtures, right? So I'll try that and report back in a few. About to go into a meeting...

Yep, just Tab through the lights until you get a dashed box, that's the circuit. Good luck!

dzatto
July 13th, 2012, 03:19 PM
Well, I got the circuit to work, but now the new fixtures won't connect to the switch. :banghead:

resmeymom
May 9th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I cannot get either to work. I can't add to a circuit nor can I add to a switch. But wait... THERE'S MORE!

I decided to test something out. I went ahead and uncircuited a device and then tried to re-circuit it. Lord behold, I can't circuit something that I just uncircuited from the same circuit a couple seconds ago!

Has anyone fixed this issue yet?

-Resmey Mom

dzatto
May 9th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Sorry Resmey, this was 2 years ago and I don't remember what I did to solve it. I should have posted my fix here for situations just like this. :hide:

Let me think about it and see if I can come up with something.