Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Revit Template

Current Local Time
    11:51 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Definitely getting a vote for POTM. This information is invaluable. Thanks for taking the time.

Current Local Time
    08:51 AM

Ive started last week with materials naming convention, than materials library than wall naming convention than walls it seems your tutorial came just in time so now i see the light Thanks. This is gold

Current Local Time
    07:51 AM

Boy this woulda been handy last year. Some of this stuff I've done, others I never thought of.

This kind of stuff is what makes this place brilliant.

I feel like I have lots of work to do now....

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    12:51 AM

Here's a question for ya.

A lot of my buildings are typical. Let's face it, you can only design an auto lube center so many different ways. I have a typical (and I use that word loosely) base drawing. A four bay double stack to be exact. If I need a five bay, I start with that and add a bay.

When I finally get a template together, how can I get an existing drawing into that template?? I know I'll have to do some editing once it's in there, if that's even possible. If it's not, then am I doomed to start a base project all over in the new template?? That seems harsh. lol

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    10:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Here's a question for ya.

A lot of my buildings are typical. Let's face it, you can only design an auto lube center so many different ways. I have a typical (and I use that word loosely) base drawing. A four bay double stack to be exact. If I need a five bay, I start with that and add a bay.

When I finally get a template together, how can I get an existing drawing into that template?? I know I'll have to do some editing once it's in there, if that's even possible. If it's not, then am I doomed to start a base project all over in the new template?? That seems harsh. lol
    dude! that's your template (or one of them anyway), the model with the lube bays in it. Just save it as an .rfe file, add all of the stuff Aaron said above and you're good to go.

Current Local Time

I personally wouldnt. I would make it so when you go File > New > and use your template, there is NOTHING there. Then what would i do? Have both a 4 bay AND a 5 bay, saved as Model Groups, in your library somewhere. You can nest as many view's Detail Groups in to those Model Group files as you want, and call it a day.

File > New.
    Insert Ribbon > Load as Group.
    Select 4 or 5 bay.
    Place Model Group.
    Select model group > Ribbon > attached detail groups > go to town.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I personally wouldnt.
    and the reasons why are? It would seem to me that if you do the same thing over and over again why not have the same thing in your template. But then I'm a noob and you know what you're doing. So, for my education I'd appreciate knowing why.

Current Local Time

1. Why have to recreate the 5 bay the few times he needs to do that? if its all in the template, there are two choices: Start with whats in there (and every other option has to get rebuilt), or start with nothing (or maintain different templates). The Model Group option lets you break it down in to subsets, however it seems intelligent to do so: Individual bays, the entire 4 bay OR the entire 5 bay, a 2 bay, whatever.

2. Saving it as a template = Whenever you want to update it, add to it, whatever, you make to monkey with the template, where all of your other settings are, etc. Versus having it saved as a 'container' file (Model Groups) which means its a different beast than where the template is, with all of the settings, and whatnot, which i prefer.

3. The times you DO want to start a new file and NOT have a building there, how will you do it? Maintain two templates? Everytime you update it, that method sucks. Plus, you have two files, which- at that point- makes it more work than my method, since i have two files, but one of them has no settings and template issues to deal with.

Im not saying dont do it. Im saying i wouldnt do it. I started my career in architecture doing McDonalds renovations in AutoCAD 2000. Ill tell you what: Even with something as prototypical as that, i didnt have a "base file" that had architecture in it already. A good infrastructure and setup will get you farther than trying to "start half done" will, every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Just my two cents though.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Just my two cents though.
    thank you, a very valuable $0.02. It initially just seemed right to start with the basic stuff in the template even though I don't do it. My projects are all so different that it doesn't make sense for me. I can see now why the content should be elsewhere and brought to the model on a per project basis. Just to not have multiple templates makes a lot of sense.

Current Local Time

Multiple templates completely sucks. We have three, despite all best efforts to keep only one. The reason being, there are some things that are so time intensive to change, you might as well maintain three templates.

We have:

Beck Standard Template
    Beck NCS Template
    Beck USACE Template

The reason being: The difference between the graphical standards means replacing every annotation family loaded in, the viewport types (which means editing viewport sizes and shifting content around), changing all of the sheet names, etc. In the case of the USACE, it even means re laying out sheets, since their sheets are way smaller (22x34).

Even with such a good reason to do it, it STILL sucks. Generally as i update things in the template week to week, i ONLY update the Beck Standard one. Then once every few months, i eat a few days to redo the other two templates. Multiple templates SUCKS.