Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a Revit Template

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    02:03 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Okay, I need to be schooled on Model Groups. Are you saying I could save an entire project as a model group? Then, when I insert it every view is where it should be?

The other problem I have is that the boss will want a full set of plans in a day. No joke. He thinks that since I built a lube center last week, this on should be just like it so just print it out. Thats why I wanted a base drawing. But it does suck to do it that way.

At one point I had 3 different building codes (BOCA, UBC, and SBC). That's 3 sets. Then there is a right hand and a left hand office. Then there's front load and back load. SO I had a ton of "typicals" and keeping them updated was a chore to say the least.

So please explain model groups a bit more while I check the online help.................Thanks!

Current Local Time

No, the views wont be set up, or even present. But you can have "the notes" in all of the views, even though the views dont exist yet. So you would still have to make all of the views on day one after inserting the Model Group, but then after making all of the views, you could select the Model Group and say "Place the attached detail group for the "Restroom elevation" in this view," and it will automatically.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    dude! that's your template (or one of them anyway), the model with the lube bays in it. Just save it as an .rfe file, add all of the stuff Aaron said above and you're good to go.
    Only if I take the project that is half way done and start making a template out of it. I was going to start from a blank OOTB template with nothing in it yet (as far as modeling).

Maybe I'll just finish the project. Then do a template later. Then update the project..........again. lol Either way it's a lot of work. May as well get started..........

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    12:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by dzatto View Post
    Only if I take the project that is half way done and start making a template out of it. I was going to start from a blank OOTB template with nothing in it yet (as far as modeling).

Maybe I'll just finish the project. Then do a template later. Then update the project..........again. lol Either way it's a lot of work. May as well get started..........
    my template is getting created slowly over time as I do projects and find settings that I want to change etc. I'm self employed and can't afford the time to stop and create a really good complete template. I frankly wouldn't know how to go about it anyway as I learn more and different things on each project. Small steps sometimes gets you to your destination also

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    07:03 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    my template is getting created slowly over time as I do projects and find settings that I want to change etc. I'm self employed and can't afford the time to stop and create a really good complete template. I frankly wouldn't know how to go about it anyway as I learn more and different things on each project. Small steps sometimes gets you to your destination also
    Yep, that's the way I've done it too. And by the looks of the OP, I will need a few rounds in the future.

As for the practical way to create a model group: take a "basic" project, remove everything not so basic about it. Then go to a 3D view with everything on, select all, create group. It will ask you to incorporate some stuff, among other Detail Components.

Current Local Time

This is great for us beginners. Thanks Aaron

Current Local Time
    05:03 AM

thanks Aaron, i fully appreciate you sharing your wisdom here if i hadn't given you so much rep already i'd be adding one more

i don't understand why anyone would start a professional project without their own template, kinda goes directly against what Revit and the way it functions is all about.
    like the others above we update in small steps when necessary

At my work we have two templates, one arch and one mep.

Current Local Time
    03:03 PM

Thanks! It's great to have a to-do list. A lot of this we've done, but I haven't tackled some of it yet, and this makes me want to start tackling today. Or at least as soon as this deadline is out the door. I've been using Revit for a whopping 4 months, and am just starting to think I might have a handle on it some day. Meanwhile, the rest of the office is about to start projects, and I want to have the template much further along before they do. This is a great help!

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by cogan View Post
    Thanks! It's great to have a to-do list. A lot of this we've done, but I haven't tackled some of it yet, and this makes me want to start tackling today. Or at least as soon as this deadline is out the door. I've been using Revit for a whopping 4 months, and am just starting to think I might have a handle on it some day. Meanwhile, the rest of the office is about to start projects, and I want to have the template much further along before they do. This is a great help!
    As long as no new deadline shows up...

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by elton williams View Post
    i don't understand why anyone would start a professional project without their own template, kinda goes directly against what Revit and the way it functions is all about.
    Ehh, not really. I don't have a template yet, but I've completed a few projects. Do templates help? Absolutely. Do you need one eventually? Definately. Do you have to have one before you do a project? Not at all.

I don't have the time to stop all production and create a template. When I have a few moments, I'll start one. But I also have to do a ton of families at the same time. Then, when I think I have some down time, another project comes up! lol

Then again, I'm in a different position than most firms. I'm the only Revit user/ designer. So I can change stuff whenever I want without any consequence. So, I guess if I worked in a huge firm and was going to roll out Revit to 100 users, then I'd probably have templates in place. But I wouldn't go so far as to say it's absolutely necessary before doing a professional project. Just my 2 cents......