Thread: How can I create a tag to show the height at the centre of the pipe?

Current Local Time
    03:24 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

How can I create a tag to show the height at the centre of the pipe?

I'm working on our first Revit project at the moment.

I want to create an annotation tag that will show the height of the pipe at the centre. I can find how to tag the inverted elevation and I've tried spot elevation but I can't figure out the centre.

I just want it to show the height you select under "offset" when drawing the pipes.

I'm sure there must be a really simple way of doing this (I hope) that I just can't find.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I had originally posted this on a different forum, but I used that more when we used mainly AutoCAD, and didn't get any replies, I'm hoping joining this forum will be more relevant now we've switched.

Thanks in advance!

Current Local Time
    10:24 PM

Kathleen,

As long as your pipework has no slope, then create a new generic tag > change the family category and parameters to pipe tags. Insert label and select either Start Offset or End offset. Save the family out, and load into your project. This will give you the centre elevation, but NOTE, this will not be of any use for sloped pipework.

Current Local Time
    10:24 AM

Thumbs up Center of Pipe Elevation Tag

I too wondered how this could be done. This is the perfect solution! Thanks so much!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJonnson View Post
    Kathleen,

As long as your pipework has no slope, then create a new generic tag > change the family category and parameters to pipe tags. Insert label and select either Start Offset or End offset. Save the family out, and load into your project. This will give you the centre elevation, but NOTE, this will not be of any use for sloped pipework.

Current Local Time
    09:24 AM

Old thread.

For the record, tags shouldn't be used at all for Pipe Elevations. The Spot Elevation tool should be used. I would highly suggest using this instead.

Current Local Time
    03:24 PM

Hi, you're quite right that this isn't any good for sloped pipework. Can you please advise how to have the parameter as 'spot offset' as opposed to start or end offset?

e.g. to show the spot height to the centre of pipes wherever an annotation is added?

Many thanks

Current Local Time
    06:24 AM

I totally agree, but how do you snap to the center of the end view of a pipe? I have resorted to drawing a line, which will grab the quadrant or end of the arc, then use spot elevation on the line.

Current Local Time
    10:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by tzframpton View Post
    Old thread.

For the record, tags shouldn't be used at all for Pipe Elevations. The Spot Elevation tool should be used. I would highly suggest using this instead.
    Personal opinion, but spot elevations should be used for invert and sloped pipe only. A pipe tag that references the elevation off a reference level is built for that purpose. If the information is correct and automatic in both methods, why would one be better that the other?

Current Local Time
    09:24 AM

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJonnson View Post
    A pipe tag that references the elevation off a reference level is built for that purpose. If the information is correct and automatic in both methods, why would one be better that the other?
    Unless I've missed a Label Field, the only option in a Tag is the Invert Elevation field, which is good for the exact purpose of the flowline to the lowest point of slope of the pipe to the I.D. of the pipe itself. It's referenced only to the level it was originally referenced to and I don't think you can change it.

Using the Spot Elevation tool gets the actual BOP/BOI (Bottom of Pipe/Bottom of Insulation) value, which is what is used for field teams in setting hangers or adjusting for hard foam insulation. It also is dynamic, where as the location of pipe you place it, that's the value it will populate. So if you place a Spot Elevation on both ends of a slope pipe, you'll get the low and high values. Spot Elevations also have the ability to be referenced from any level.

-TZ

Current Local Time
    02:24 PM

If I wanted to do something like this in Autocad Vanilla, I would probably create an MTEXT item, and insert a field into it, which would access the information from the selected object. Shareit https://get-vidmateapk.com
    Last edited by barryallen1337; September 18th, 2019 at 10:14 PM.

Current Local Time
    02:24 PM

i'm surprised you haven't gotten any feedback on this thread yet.
    Surely there will be a more REVIT appropriate solution, which I can't help you with specifically.
    9AppsVidMate apkVLC
    If I wanted to do something like this in Autocad Vanilla, I would probably create an MTEXT item,
    and insert a field into it, which would access the information from the selected object.
    Last edited by smithclarkson02; March 24th, 2020 at 07:36 AM.