Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modeling my parents new kitchen

Current Local Time
    03:23 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    thanx for the reply and I agree with you that having this for that long does not make it the best option, but there is just a big problem with all the doors and windows in the room. First of all the render makes it look a lot bigger then it really is, so I tried to re-shuffle a bit the way you said and it actually give you less space inside the U shape if you turn it around 90 degrees.

Problem is that the wall that has the door to the garden is shorter then the wall that has the door to that little extra room, so I would have to squeeze the U shape about 20 cm and then the chairs would be in front of the door to the garden all the time. The attached image is a plan of the kitchen as it is in the renders I posted in earlier posts and as you can see there is only one wall without any door or window, which makes it a pain in the butt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen.jpg  

Current Local Time
    07:23 PM

What is the room just off the kitchen? Just curious. Is that room off limits to the remodel? If not I would absolutely combine the two rooms and move some of the cabinetry in there. How deep are your cabinets? The 'U' shaped area seams a little 'deep' for kitchen cabinets. Could just be me. Also are you planning on building the cabinetry that close to the doors? That really doesn't leave much room at all for grabbing the door knob on either doors. I know it's a tight space, but I just think there is an easier way to get a lot of cabinetry in there without making it feel so cramped.

Current Local Time

Yes the room next to the kitchen is off limits and probably a lot smaller then I modeled it right now, did it from memory, just to show there is a room there.
    The U shape is deeper then a cabinet, because there are chairs there so they can use it to eat. Cabinets themselves are 60cm and there is a 40 cm overhang to be used as table. The cabinets along the 3500mm wall are 40cm deep and the rest are 60cm

The door to the smaller room is indeed a bit cramped in there and a chair will need to be moved to open it I think, but it is mainly storage and the washer/dryer is in there. The door now just has a curtain in front of it but there is a lot of cold air coming from that room in the winter, so they want a door there now, we even have moved it a bit to the right already from where it is now to have some room to put the cabinets. Maybe I have room enough to put a sliding door there inside the small room, which would solve the problem with that door.

The door to the garden can't be moved of course and even though I know things can be better, they have the cabinets setup around that the same way now, which does not pose any problems.

have been showing this idea to my parents and they think, and I agree, there are to many knobs, so I think we will be changing the long ones to smaller knobs, which would probably make it less 'busy'.

I have been thinking about other setups, but everything I try results in an even more cramped or impractical space, but I just had one more idea, that might work

Current Local Time
    09:23 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
    have been showing this idea to my parents and they think, and I agree, there are to many knobs, so I think we will be changing the long ones to smaller knobs, which would probably make it less 'busy'.

I have been thinking about other setups, but everything I try results in an even more cramped or impractical space, but I just had one more idea, that might work
    May want to consider inset cup pulls on the ground cabinets rather than knobs or pulls to get every valuable inch from that space.

Current Local Time

Yeah, might need to change the knobs, not really sure what my parent want/like.

Just got of the phone with my dad and it seems he is willing to move the door to the garden a bit, which gives a bit more room to do something different. Attached the next idea. So far I used mostly 60x60cm and 40x40cm cabinets, but I'm sure they would want big drawers, so some measurements will change a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kitchen.jpg  

DrAc

100% better!

Current Local Time
    02:23 AM

you should probably use quartzite or granite for that countertop. Great design btw, if ever you need a source for your countertop provider. Feel free to check out on this. here

[Robin Deurloo, link removed]
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; May 22nd, 2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: link removed

Current Local Time
    02:23 AM

Oh, I didn't see that this thread was 7 years ago lol. I should take a good look on the date before commenting. Anyway if you find my comment helpful or not. you can bump me up on the message.

Current Local Time
    07:23 PM

Personally, I really like quartz for countertops. It isn't as porous as granite and marble. It's more durable too. I found this

[Robin Deurloo, link removed]
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; July 8th, 2019 at 06:17 AM.