Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linking <family type> parameters in nested families

Current Local Time
    11:07 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Linking <family type> parameters in nested families

Hello,

I am having trouble linking a the parameter to control the family type in a nested family. I created a family to express a object then nested that in a child family. I created a label (shared instances parameter) to control the family type and assigned it to the object. Then I nested the child family in my parent family. I then click on the child family to try to link the parameters in the properties dialogue box but it does not allow me too. Has anyone had similar problems with the family type control not working three levels deep? I did test my child family and object family and they both work. The parent doesn't work in the editor or in a project. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time
    10:07 PM

Make sure they parameter in the child family is "Instance" Also what type of family category are you working in?

Current Local Time

The child family parameter is instance based already. I am working all in generic models types. I am in the process of recreating a sample problem to share.

Current Local Time
    06:07 AM

If I understand correctly:
    family 1, different types or versions, 1a, 1b etc, nested and labeled in
    family 2, containing a family type parameter for the label of family 1, in turn nested in
    family 3. You find that the family type parameter of family 2 cannot be linked to a parameter in family 3.

Sorry, won't work. Category has nothing to do with it, s long as the family and famly type parameter are of the same category.
    You CAN make another family type parmeter in family 3 to select types of family 2, which in turn contains types of family 1 that you already made selectable in family 2. It is advisable to make the family type parameter a type parameter in this construction. This works even better if you make family 2 and/or 1 shared, giving you access to their parameters with a tab-selection in the project environment.

Hope this helps, everyone who actually knows what they are talking about is putting their feet up in Las Vegas for the moment.
    Last edited by ekkonap; November 27th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.

Current Local Time

Here is a sample of what I am working on. Family_1 is the sub-child family with many different types in it (Generic-Face). Family_2 is the child family that will use the sub-child (Generic-Face). Family_3 is the parent family that I want to control the sub-child from. Thanks again...also wishing I was at AU!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

Part of the problem I am having is that it has to be an instance parameter in the project.

Current Local Time
    07:07 AM

Not sure about what you're trying to achieve (no revit yet), but you won't be able to link an instance parameter to a type parameter. Revit warns you about this when you try this in a formula.

Current Local Time
    06:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by jbenoit44 View Post
    Not sure about what you're trying to achieve (no revit yet), but you won't be able to link an instance parameter to a type parameter. Revit warns you about this when you try this in a formula.

You can if the instance parameter is in the host family and the type parameter in a nested family.
    mmartin, seems to me like you can make an instance family type parameter in family 3. the family type parameter in family 2 should be 'type' so you can use it to access types of family 2 that contain different versions of types of family 1.

Current Local Time
    04:07 PM

Quote Originally Posted by ekkonap View Post
    If I understand correctly:
    family 1, different types or versions, 1a, 1b etc, nested and labeled in
    family 2, containing a family type parameter for the label of family 1, in turn nested in
    family 3. You find that the family type parameter of family 2 cannot be linked to a parameter in family 3.

Sorry, won't work.
    It looks like this is still the case. Does anyone know a work around please?

I am trying to nest a shared door panel into a movement jig that is then nested into my door family. I can link up the panel size and material parameters but not the Family Type parameter to select the actual panel. Shame.

Thanks in advance.

Current Local Time
    10:07 PM

If you've got a limited number of nested families you can make a unique parameter for each (with the appropriate family assigned) and then use a formula in yet another family to select from the previous. This is occasionally done with simple numbers.

Personally, I dislike that method. I'd go through the trouble of putting them in your parent family.