Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Challenge: a parametric scissors lift with multiple arms.

Current Local Time
    04:08 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I had a little more time to play with this. Alfredo asked for a hight control. Also updated for any numbers of arms increments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tutorial-RobotV2 Profile Solution.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

Tomorow morning i'll upload the same framework with the same formulas but insteed profile nested sweep i'll nest a reference line controlled box so the the arms could be controled as length and width. Very easy to update between profile solution and reference line solution.
    At the begining I opted for profile solution because was the fasted for implement the mechanism ideea. I was afraid that I could loose the cookies Now we have time 2 play.

Anyway I propose for the next parametric challenges to be announced before so the people can make time in their schedules and as Alex said, some people doesn't have acces to revit in weekend. I was lucky enough that i saw Alf post. My wife was a little upset coz i ignored complitly for the next 2-3 hours. So next time we need to know to prepare ourself. Munkholm you have to print in 3D that toy you did Dzatto I have cookies for you. In fact I didn't eat them coz I didn't want to eat alone. Munkolm should takes the cookies, because I implemented faster the solution with the help of his trick (didn't loosed time with tricky reference lines or to much trigonometry, just with the main skeleton and a bit of sine(sinus) function).
    Last edited by gaby424; April 5th, 2011 at 11:33 PM.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    09:08 PM

Quote Originally Posted by gaby424 View Post
    ...Anyway I propose for the next parametric challenges to be announced before so the people can make time in their schedules...
    Gaby, thank you very much for that step by step tutorial that you are giving us in your previous post! Not only you solved the challenge very quickly, but now you are also explaining the solutions.

In regards to your suggestion, yes, Martijn, Dzatto, and Alex, suggested similar things. Next time I post a challenge I am going to leave the thread closed for some days, so that users can submit their solutions only after a certain date. How about that? better?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
    Gaby, thank you very much for that step by step tutorial that you are giving us in your previous post!

In regards to your suggestion, yes, Martijn, Dzatto, and Alex, suggested similar things. Next time I post a challenge I am going to leave the thread closed for some days, so that users can submit their solutions only after a certain date. How about that? better?
    Yes because this way we will have time to make the smarter solutions possible per user. Of course we will loose the speed thinking factor, but this factor can sometime affect the creativity of the people that didn't succed to post in begining( bad example this competition, with the exception of Munkholm, nobodyelse posted another solutions because the problem was solved to fast... maybe there are another great solution there but because of us the users are not attracted to reveal new solutions). First competition was nicer becouse the problems were not solved very fast. So I'm ok with your proposal
    Last edited by gaby424; April 6th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.

Current Local Time

+1 with me. Maybe we should standby for a week? (not a guru myself, it will be short enough!).

Current Local Time

As i promised Robot V2 Reference Line Based, here is the same framework(Robot V2 Profile Based), same formulas, but instead nested sweep profile (Munkholm trick), i nested a reference line that host parametric simple box.

Now you can alter Arm Length and Arm Width too. In plus i put an on/off switch for wheels so you can use it as a simple platform (see Dzatto example)

The picture is the tutorial part 2 that have some specific enhancements for this Robot V2 Reference Line Based.rfa

Be creative with it, you can put it in ceilings, on walls, on moon or as a component in other machines. I don`t know if you can nested (some time ago Twiceroadsfool said that nesting more than 4 levels is problematic...the parameters doesn`t propagate anymore to the deeper childrens families...anyway i didn`t test it)

p.s.
    sorry for English mistakes (in tutorials the parameters that contain "weel" word should be read as "wheel" ; the attached family was corrected)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tutorial-part2-RobotV2-Reference-Line-Solution.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by gaby424; April 6th, 2011 at 01:58 PM.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    02:08 AM

Nice work gaby!
    And I do like the idea of a closed thread...

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by mdradvies View Post
    Nice work gaby!
    And I do like the idea of a closed thread...
    thank you. i just wanted to make a useful family. I think I forgot to delete platform length parameter( it isn't linked to geometry or formulas so it is safe to remove it). it is not useful anymore because the platform geometry is driven by basebox geometry and by platform offsets parameters.
    I also like closed thred. We will have a lot of time to work on the families. But I think Munkholm will kick our asses with his high attention to details. The watch and the scissor families that he showed us were just served as starters
    Last edited by gaby424; April 8th, 2011 at 11:12 PM.

9.    #39
    Current Local Time
    02:08 AM

yes, it is possible, I am making one