Thread: Column Grid Crop Boundary Offset

Current Local Time
    04:01 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Column Grid Crop Boundary Offset

I'm having an issue with Revit where the column grid bubbles on my plotted sheets are extending a bit too far and are overlapping the title block. I've been searching this issue all day and tried everything I have found no avail.

Basically I want to either adjust the default 1" offset between the crop boundary and the bubble, or get the bubbles to move along with my annotation crop boundary. The project is very large with approximately 30 cuts per floor so adjusting the main crop regions won't work - I need to keep the main crop boundary where it is but still be able to move the bubbles in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Andrew

Current Local Time
    05:01 PM

Have you tried modifying the column grids in 2D in any of the views... this is view specific and will allow you to have grids with unique extents in each view/ sheet.

Current Local Time

Can you elaborate on what you mean by modifying the column grids in 2D? The way my project is set up, I have one large view of each floor where the column grid extends all the way across the building. Then I also have dependent views for each cut, corresponding to each keyplan sector. In one of these views I cant seem to adjust the bubble location except by changing the crop boundary, which I would like to avoid.

I've attached a pic that shows the bubble location relative to the main crop boundary and annotation crop boundary

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	92 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	10927
    Last edited by aorton; January 16th, 2013 at 08:24 PM.

Current Local Time

If you click on the column grid itself you will see a little text element that will say either 3D or 2D....

Dragging the column ends with 3D enabled will change the extents of the column grid[s] you are modifying across the project,
    while, dragging the column ends with 2D selected will only change the grid extents in the current view.

BIM there, done that cliff collins's Avatar
    Current Local Time

You could also try using a Scope Box, and associate your Grids with the Scope Box. When you adjust the extent of the Scope Box, all the Grids will move with it globally (throughout the entire project) automatically. You can still adjust them individually using 2D extents as well. Your Levels can also be controlled by a Scope Box (or Scope Boxes--depending on the size/shape/layout of the building.)

Current Local Time

Okay, I just gave that a shot, I think I may be doing something wrong here. In my dependent view there is no 2D/3D option when I select the column grids. In my main full floor view however I do have the option of 2D/3D, but changing between the two doesn't seem to get me anywhere. In both cases I don't have the ability to move any of the bubbles in or out while on my dependent view or the plotted sheet. Annotation crop boundary has no effect in either case. Here's a screenshot of what I see when I select a column line in the dependent view/plotted sheet. All I can do is move the grid lines themselves back and forth, but the bubble stays the same distance from the main crop boundary.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	84 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	10928

Current Local Time

If you turn annotation crop off... you should be able to move the column bubbles closer/ farther away from the building at will...
    are you unable to do this?

Current Local Time

Alright, so I finally found out what the problem was. Brace yourselves, because this is going to sound dumb... I couldn't move the bubbles in or out because I was trying to drag the wrong thing. Turns out you can easily move them in and out, but you have to click a BARELY visible blue dot "handle" at the base of the bubble. I was stupidly trying to click and drag the bubble itself.

Thanks for the assistance kommunalka and cliff. Hopefully someone in the future can learn from my ignorance!