Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elevator Architect vs Revit Content All-In-One Elevator

Current Local Time
    05:06 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Elevator Architect vs Revit Content All-In-One Elevator

Just downloaded the free plugin for Elevator Architect

But I have actually been intrigued with Revit-Content's All-In-One Elevator.

Usually I ignore the All-in-one families as I would have a heck of a time getting them to schedule with the rest of our in-house families. But with Elevators is used for floor plans and wall sections. Items are pretty much called out, but its more for clearance issues. So I am really tempted in getting the $99 elevator family...

Thoughts? Anyone use the All-in-one? (And how is Revit-Content.com getting away with using Revit in their domain name?)

Current Local Time
    11:06 PM

Hi Michael,

I have one of the earlier versions and have used the All in One elevator for a couple of years. They work quite well, but boy the one I use is a HEAVY beast. A very noticeable drop in performance once it is in the model. Another issue is how large the selection window is for the family, makes it very difficult to select other building elements near where the elevator is positioned.

I remember that there was talk that they would improve both of these issues in later release so, not entirely sure if these comments are relevant to the most recent version or not.
    Last edited by Ian.Kidston; February 20th, 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

Current Local Time
    07:06 AM

I'd say neither. Elevator content isn't required to be so massively complicated like the all in ones, and I don't like the way the EA app builds them. A few modified door families, a parametric GM with a nested Detail Component for plans, and some walls, and you have a super lightweight but great elevator.

There was another thread recently on it...

Current Local Time
    02:06 PM

Hi Michael,

Let me clarify upfront, that I am working for DigiPara, developer of Elevatorarchitect.

Main goal of Elevatorarchitect is to help you finding the correct dimensions of real existing elevators in the market. It provides you with all neccessary information about shaft dimension etc. I would suggest you giving it a try, since it is free. Btw, if you just need a basic family, a small self modeled rfa may help too as Aaron mentioned before.

Thank you,
    Andreas

Current Local Time

The detail component method was how I usually did it, with the OOTB Elevator door....But I was recently asked for some more detail than usual so that is why I was looking at the All-In-One... I did try out your program Andreas...and it was pretty similar to what I had done myself without the research...oh, and your database didn't have the elevator I was looking for. Found one pretty close though, but it was different enough I had to try another direction.

Current Local Time
    08:06 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I'd say neither. Elevator content isn't required to be so massively complicated like the all in ones, and I don't like the way the EA app builds them. A few modified door families, a parametric GM with a nested Detail Component for plans, and some walls, and you have a super lightweight but great elevator.

There was another thread recently on it...
    http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...do-you-do.html

Current Local Time

Wow....totally missed that thread...

Current Local Time

Late comer on this one. Seems like complex elevator families make complex enmeshment of modeling programming out of a simple need. The ones I have seen have to parametrically interconnect and relate to every floor served, something that is implicit simply by the height of the elevator and locating the elevator doors. Stick with the generic out-of-the-box.

Current Local Time
    07:06 AM

I completely disagree with that. The "elevator content" itself, doesnt have to parametrically relate to every floor served, at all. Its not a requirement. And if you look at how Elevators are erected on site (and if you build your content that way), it works perfectly.

1. A generic Model family for the Cab/Cab-doors/tracks/motor/Hoistbeam, etc, that has a nested Detail Component in it for displaying in plan correctly.
    2. A series of Doors (or Specialty Equipment, in our case) for the doors in the walls on each floor, that match the doors of the cabs.
    3. Walls for the shaft walls.
    4. Face based families for the operational controls and indicators on each floor.

Elevators get complicated because people think it needs to be one component you drop in. They arent designed that way, they shouldnt be modeled that way.

Current Local Time

I think we are on the same page on this. I also do not like elevator families that build and connect to what should be independently modeled things, like the floors served, or shaft enclosure, for example. Your checklist is good. Not sure what you disagree with. Tell me if I am wrong: Elevator manufacturers Revit families go too far with what they offer to do in a model. Thanks for responding so promptly. I am an infrequent poster, trying to get move involved.