Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Inserting PDF's in Revit, can it be done?

Current Local Time
    10:46 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Price View Post
    I would have loved it if the new "Viewer" mode actually made the entire UI go away, so a live Revit presentation could actually focus on the work. No UI and a Space Navigator, presentation nirvana?
    We do this manually. When we show live Revit models to clients (which is very often) we minimize the ribbon, hide Properties, make the View Cube larger, & undock the Project Browser. Been playing around with 2012 and our Space Navigator, and hope to get a good setup where I'd feel confident letting the client 'drive' most of the time!

I understand you're saying that you want it to be automatic with the viewer mode, but I'm really jazzed about the new view features. We work and present live models to our clients a lot, and so anything that makes that a more compelling experience gets us more work. ;-)

Current Local Time
    07:46 AM

Agreed Jeffrey, 2012 is worlds better than all that came before, because the graphics look great and the navigation is finally not UI driven. And with a little effort some of that UI can be made to go away. I think the Viewer could have been, well, more of a Viewer. Which means any space in the UI given to editing tools is misused. But in the meantime Revit is still a better presentation tool than 3D PDF or DWF, which is I think a very good thing.

Gordon

Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    03:46 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Price View Post
    But Scott,
    But my point about Adobe being right and Autodesk wrong is that whole sets that we might want to reference are PDF for a reason, because it is a better format for the task. Cut sheets from manufacturers are PDFs because it is a better format for the task.
    Gordon
    At some point Autodesk will have to make the big decision to provide better PDF support. DWFs are never going to supplant PDFs, even in the construction industry. It just isn't going to happen, regardless of the pros and cons of each format.

If an entire road system was already in place (PDFs), why go and try to invent and construct an entirely new road infrastructure (DWFs)? It turns out to be costly and counter-productive. Just pay the tolls and get on with it.

Forum Addict
    Current Local Time
    03:46 PM

If you want to convert a PDF to an image, use the File - Export feature of the free PDF-Xchange Viewer, or use Free PDFill tools.

If you want to get access to the vector information in PDFs using free tools, check out this link.

Current Local Time
    12:46 AM

Late to the party on this one, but a further two cents on this - whereby perhaps someone can instruct me as to why this is the case... The fact that you can import a PDF in to Design Review, mark it up, and save it to DWF, but when brought in to Revit the PDF does not show up, is ridiculous. There have got to be thousands of opportunities for someone to be using Design Review to work with both Architects/Engineers/etc using Revit AND consultants who can/will only provide PDFs... Big pain in the 'ol behind.

Current Local Time
    04:16 PM

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    All you had to do was wait for Revit 2020. Only 9 years later. Shows, yet again, how little Autodesk care after they've got your money. 9 YEARS.

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by macdraft View Post
    All you had to do was wait for Revit 2020. Only 9 years later. Shows, yet again, how little Autodesk care after they've got your money. 9 YEARS.
    And from what I can tell, it's not even an embedded native PDF, Revit just converts the PDF into a rasterized image.

Current Local Time
    01:46 AM

-1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by macdraft View Post
    Shows, yet again, how little Autodesk care after they've got your money.
    Yeah, that's it. They don't care about their customers, past, present, or future.

Current Local Time
    12:46 AM

Quote Originally Posted by RobDraw View Post
    Yeah, that's it. They don't care about their customers, past, present, or future.
    well, not everything can happen all at once, obviously. Software evolves over time. ************************************************** ************************************************** ************************************************** **************************************************

I do appreciate the DPI options and the fact that a PDF brought into Revit automatically retains its original size, unlike normal raster images that automatically come in sized at 72 DPI, which is super annoying. The PDF function simplifies the stamp/seal process for our final documents.

ADMIN EDIT:

Part of the above have been removed to comply with the following:
    Beta Projects: No posting of any details, including screenshots, questions or rumors in the public domain. That includes but is not limited to public web sites or discussion groups. The requirements are outlined in the Beta Agreement (Autodesk Pre-Release Product Testing Agreement).
    Last edited by Munkholm; February 20th, 2020 at 05:35 AM. Reason: NDA

Current Local Time

Now I want to know what was under the ****************************