Thread: addition study strategy

Current Local Time
    12:16 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

addition study strategy

I need to put together several very quick studies on a potential addition. With each study I need to display a label with square footage. I was hoping to display them as a colored semi- transparent shape over an aerial image. Each individual option will be on a separate sheet and some of the addition options overlap.

What's the best way to do this with Revit? I tried floors, but don't know how to get them to report their area. I tried area color schemes but got into trouble when they overlapped. I tried filled regions but the transparency doesn't work over images. i tried combining areas+floors but it's getting cumbersome.

I suppose this is a situation for Design Options, but I'm open to other ideas.

Thanks,

Sarah

BIM there, done that cliff collins's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    01:16 PM

You can make a Floor Schedule, and place it on a Sheet.

Area Plans should also work well, with corresponding Schedules.

You could also explore Masses and/or Mass Floors and Schedules.

Yep--use Design Options. You should be able to Schedule Areas in the different design options as well.

Filled Regions are OUT!

Current Local Time

You cant put Areas in Design options.

Youll decide between using Areas, or using Rooms and Color Fills.

If you use Areas, youll need to make Multiple Rentable Area schemes for the different options, and create a new Area Plan for each scheme, and create a new schedule for each scheme, which isnt a big deal. Once you go in the Area Schemes and make some new ones, youll see how it works.

Or you use Design Options, and Rooms with Color Fills. Then you can put the rooms and walls in design options, and make plans and schedule that reference the different design options in VG.

Make Sense?

Current Local Time

I guess where I am having trouble is what to do where areas in different options overlap. Even if I have a different area scheme, I can't put two differently areas in the same place... ?

Current Local Time

You can't overlap areas within a scheme, so if spaces within an option need to overlap it wouldn't work. If areas within an option don't overlap you could do a separate area scheme for each option. If you need to have rooms within an option overlap, and tag their area, why don't you try using massing? It can be colored, transparent, and the floor area is tagable.

Current Local Time

If you use a Different area scheme FOR each different Option, it works perfectly, since the areas and the boundaries from different schemes dont affect one another. I had someone do it here the other day.

If you are seeing one options areas in another options *scheme* it isnt set up correctly. You need to use a WHOLE different Rentable scheme for each option, if you are using Revit Areas.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    You need to use a WHOLE different Rentable scheme for each option, if you are using Revit Areas.
    To do that you must open Area and Volume Computations (on the Room & Area drop down on the Architecture tab) and make a new area scheme for each option. This will prevent areas from overlapping.

Current Local Time

Whoa- my mind is blown. I'm sorry Aaron, when you were telling me about Area Schemes I was misunderstanding, and confusing what you were talking about with the the color schemes. I had no idea that I could create more than just the Gross and Rentable Area Schemes. I wish I had realized that yesterday, would have made this easier. Thanks for the clarification, jmk.

Current Local Time

I was working with area plans a couple of weeks ago, and I'm sorry I didn't think to mention it until today. I knew that you could create more (we have some in our office template) but it took me awhile to figure out how. It would be much more intuitive if the "Edit type" button when you create an area plan would open the window where you could create new schemes, instead of being consistently grayed out.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by safoulkes View Post
    Whoa- my mind is blown. I'm sorry Aaron, when you were telling me about Area Schemes I was misunderstanding, and confusing what you were talking about with the the color schemes. I had no idea that I could create more than just the Gross and Rentable Area Schemes. I wish I had realized that yesterday, would have made this easier. Thanks for the clarification, jmk.
    In all honesty, i would probably use Rooms and Design Options, if it were me. I despise Area Plans. LOL