Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MEP the final frontier

"RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    Current Local Time
    01:34 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

MEP the final frontier

Well here I am now building families for MEP engineers. My first problem I've been faced with is nesting electrical connectors. I am building what I've been told is a MCC (still very clueless on what is does) I relate it to a server rack. I have built the parent family that consists of the cabinet and have a dozen nested 'cubicles'. However the engineers are telling me that they are unable to connect to any of the connectors I have placed in the nested cubicles. What am I missing here.

Thanks.

Current Local Time

Even though you have connectors in the nested families, Im pretty sure you need connectors in the host family. We ran into this problem when taking a MFG faucet or flush valve and inserting them into the water closet or lavatory family. Needed to add the connectors to that family as well.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Connectors only work in the host (family that is loaded into the project), not nested components. Ongoing feature or limitation...I imagine it is harder than it might seem to resolve what Revit should or should not do when connector is hidden or in a nested component. It's much like we can't connect to family's connectors in linked files either.
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; March 27th, 2013 at 05:20 PM.

Current Local Time

Awe GOD damnit!!!

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
    Awe GOD damnit!!!
    TAKE A DEEP BREATH! Its not the end of the world.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by BCERBIMMan View Post
    TAKE A DEEP BREATH! Its not the end of the world.
    Back to the drawing board. This family complexity just multiplied by a very large number.

Current Local Time
    03:34 AM

With MEP families you just have to go simpler and less nested, and have them place more families. Like our toilets have Shared and Nested parameterized (swappable) flush valves, because thats how real toilets are. But they wont work with MEP because of the connector issue. So in those cases where we need them i just have people place the toilet and the FV seperately. It sucks.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

If the MEP team uses "rough-in" families instead then you can build all the variables into the arch content and they just place their rough-in family "over the arch version". It's a technique that is described in the Mastering Autodesk Revit MEP book too. The rough-in happens before the fixtures anyway so it's consistent with construction and if the plumbing fixtures shift a little there are no "pipe can't be created, must delete" nightmares. Well the nightmares are a bit more manageable perhaps, not eliminated.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
    If the MEP team uses "rough-in" families instead then you can build all the variables into the arch content and they just place their rough-in family "over the arch version". It's a technique that is described in the Mastering Autodesk Revit MEP book too. The rough-in happens before the fixtures anyway so it's consistent with construction and if the plumbing fixtures shift a little there are no "pipe can't be created, must delete" nightmares. Well the nightmares are a bit more manageable perhaps, not eliminated.
    I have never looked at this book, but a couple of people in my office have the 2012 MEP version. I looked at the book and didnt see where it mentions or talks about the "rough-in" families.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

It is in the 2014 book chapter 15 (just finished the Technical Editing for the book) so I believe it is in the same chapter for 2013 book. It may not be in the 2012 book. I don't think the technique is referred to as "rough-in", that's "my" term. The author that wrote the chapter may not have been part of the 2012 team, don't recall.