Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Structural Beams (Length)

Current Local Time
    02:03 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Structural Beams (Length)

I'm trying to create a composite beam (i.e. (3) 2x10) where the number of members would be parametric using an array. I've done this sort of thing before, but it requires the nested family being arrayed to be controlled directly by the host's parameters (if the size needs to be parametric). This wouldn't be a problem, except that the Length parameter in the host beam family I'm using (copied from the dimensional lumber beam family) seems to have no relation to the beam's length once loaded into a project. Any solutions?

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    03:03 PM

Don't use a beam family? Try creating them all from a generic model family, then set the category to 'structural framing'. That way, there's no parameters or anything. You can create just the ones you need.

Current Local Time

Yeah, that's plan B. I was hoping to use a beam family because it stays connected to columns.

"OMG I killed Revit"
    Current Local Time
    03:03 PM

Try creating a new parameter. Of course, you can't name it Length (and you can't get rid of parameters already in a family template anymore). But, you could use Beam Length or something like that.

Current Local Time
    10:03 PM

if nested beams are shared, you should get length in schedule.

Current Local Time

The problem I'm running into is getting the nested beams to stretch with the host beam. The length parameter in the host beam seems to have no correlation to the length of the beam in a project; linking the nested beam length parameter to the host beam length parameter has no effect. I've tried changing the length parameter of the nested beam to an instance and then locking each end to the same ref planes that stretch the form that was already in there, but such a method doesn't seem to work when arraying the nested family.

Current Local Time
    10:03 PM

I was refering to a shared nested family, so that you will schedule them in the project. Link mark parameter between host and nested will help you sort things in schedule.

Current Local Time
    06:03 AM

Quote Originally Posted by kowen1208 View Post
    The problem I'm running into is getting the nested beams to stretch with the host beam. The length parameter in the host beam seems to have no correlation to the length of the beam in a project; linking the nested beam length parameter to the host beam length parameter has no effect. I've tried changing the length parameter of the nested beam to an instance and then locking each end to the same ref planes that stretch the form that was already in there, but such a method doesn't seem to work when arraying the nested family.
    Unless im missing something while having a is there any reason you cant use a beam system?

Current Local Time
    01:03 PM

kowen1208,

did you ever find a solution? I'm trying to build up something similar (I actually tried what you are doing with both wood and steel studs, reverted to just arrayed extrusions). I've fought this over and over and can't find a fix.

Steve Stafford has this thread from a couple of years ago Revit OpEd: Family Puzzler - Beam and Family Type Parameter

And there is a similar problem with columns with a fix. Revit Rants: Revit 2012 & Nested Structural Columns Workarounds

Julien, the point isn't really scheduling, if anything you'd schedule it as a (3)2x6 bundle, not individual pieces.

Elton, we are talking about (3) wood members that effectively act together as a beam. So the beam system would be (in this case) 4.5" wide with 1.5" equal spacing. Very hard to manage when you might have dozens and impossible to tag on plan. Most graphic conventions have it looking like a single beam also, not three lines so close together.

I'm guessing the fix is to build up a similar family outside the OOTB using either the generic model or structural framing. Then just re-using the type catalog from the dimensional lumber.

I'm dying to know why this is so hard. I am fairly certain there is some magic (i.e. some crazy code I don't understand) with all those reference planes at the ends of the member that will allow it to work.

My .02, your mileage may vary.

Current Local Time

My solution is to have separate families for each quantity. I.e. a family for one member, a family for two members, etc. Not what I was hoping for, but it's really not that bad, since I've never seen anything higher than four.