Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generic model floor based line weights

Current Local Time
    03:44 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Generic model floor based line weights

I have created a floor based generic model. I would like to be able to control the line weights of this model once it's joined to a floor in the model. At present it is assuming the line weight thickness of the floor its joined to. Within the GM I have tried putting nest families such as a site family so I can control the line weight separately. This is all good but once I join the the floor all the line weights go out the window.
    This attached image shows the GM family joined and unjoined.
    What am I missing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GM floor.JPG  

Current Local Time
    05:44 AM

When you join geometry (geometries? geometrii?) they 'become one'. Not sure if what you are wanting is possible with the 3D joined geometry, unless you start fooling around with visibility settings and nested annotation trickery. Or keep it unjoined and use invisible linework to hide the intersections

Current Local Time

Hi,
    You can try:
    1. In the family editor create a new subcategory for your model items. Creating Family Subcategories - WikiHelp When the family is loaded in the project you can change the line style of the new subcategory to suit.
    2. Create filters and use them on your views (or in view templates)
    Cheers,
    Jh
    Last edited by jh75; June 17th, 2013 at 07:55 AM.

Current Local Time

Thanks for replyjh75. Yes I created subcat for different components of family. Unfortunately when I join to floor all these setting are 'taken over' by the floor line weights, even if I apply view filter. The line weight control is about graphic hierarchy, I don't wont the interior of the drain (screed) or drain cover (mildsteel) to have the same importance thickness as the RC slab. The office I work in is quick particular abt this and I tend to agree.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by redmonki View Post
    Thanks for replyjh75. Yes I created subcat for different components of family. Unfortunately when I join to floor all these setting are 'taken over' by the floor line weights, even if I apply view filter. The line weight control is about graphic hierarchy, I don't wont the interior of the drain (screed) or drain cover (mildsteel) to have the same importance thickness as the RC slab. The office I work in is quick particular abt this and I tend to agree.
    I dont get why you're trying to join the geometry of a metal cover with a concrete floor. They're different elements made of different stuff. Is that why you've used generic model category?

Current Local Time

The GM is meant to be a composite family ie linear drain RC, interior screed lining of drain & drain cover. The family is working fine in that when I join with floor it seamlessly integrates and shows a clean section without having to clean up anything. The last piece of the puzzle is getting control over the line weights. Yes I can use a nested detail group in section view but its fiddly and less clean.
    It would be nice if subcat line weights could retained their own properties once joined.

Current Local Time

The GM is meant to be a composite family ie linear drain RC, interior screed lining of drain & drain cover. The family is working fine in that when I join with floor it seamlessly integrates and shows a clean section without having to clean up anything. The last piece of the puzzle is getting control over the line weights. Yes I can use a nested detail group in section view but its fiddly and less clean.
    It would be nice if subcat line weights could retained their own properties once joined.
    Joined geometry is joined geometry. Tried shared nested components? last resort might be linework.

Current Local Time

Yeah have tried. Failed. Maybe I'm asking too much, but to me it seems logical that you can join geometry but retain line weights.

Current Local Time

Yeah have tried. Failed. Maybe I'm asking too much, but to me it seems logical that you can join geometry but retain line weights.
    Seems logical to me that the join geometry tool was designed for pulling pieces together to create a unique part that couldnt be created as a single piece of geometry (in itself a hack), so I still dont see how a metal cover and a concrete floor could be considered a single element. Add a screed layer you still have 3 separate components made of 3 different materials.

Current Local Time

So are you suggesting I model each of those components separately and then align them together in the model?