Thread: iPad Pro model display - Sketchup, Formit and Revit

Current Local Time
    01:48 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

iPad Pro model display - Sketchup, Formit and Revit

I had my first site meeting tryout with an iPad Pro (12.9") with Magic Keyboard yesterday - very nice too.

So as to be able to show clients a Sketchup model sent by oak roof truss manufacturers I installed the Sketchup Viewer.

Then I thought - wouldn't it be nice to be able to manipulate the model remotely at the meeting - given that we are all meant to self distance etc.

I plugged in my 3DConnexions CADmouse and that worked (USB-C to USB adapter) then the obvious occurred to me - remove the cable and just pair the Bluetooth CADmouse.
    Works a treat - at least for orbiting in the Sketchup Viewer - zoom in and out doesn't work so far.

Incidentally I brought this Sketchup model into Revit via a tip I saw on a reseller's blog. Import it into Formit, save as Formit file, import Formit model into Revit. Seems to come into Revit quite nicely.

I've a Simlab licence for a Revit to Sketchup exporter which I must update to 2021 and try out.

It's not ideal but is there any other way of showing a Revit model on an iPad - particularly if no wifi or only mobile data is available?

Current Local Time

I am so slow sometimes... but I get there in the end

Best of all, use an Apple Magic Trackpad connected by Bluetooth enables zooming, orbiting while sitting at a distance from the iPad Pro.

Still can't do a sideways slide but it's pretty good overall and gestures work as you might expect on the iPad.

Neat

Current Local Time
    08:48 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Without wifi or data is a bit of a trick, but if not restricted by that, You could try Autodesk Viewer. That lets you open a model in a browser window and works fine on iPad. Here is a quick one I just created. Just upload the file and give it a little while to process and it is good to go.

https://autode.sk/3dWya1u

Current Local Time

Thanks a lot Jeff - I've never come across this Viewer.

Where am I uploading the Revit project file to?

Works very well - love the 'Explode' option - always wanted to be able to 'blow up' a model, er, temporarily

The entire project file seems to be available - drawing sheets etc. 3D views are a little disappointing to look at though, lacking textures or is that because I need to include texture file locations in the upload?

Nonetheless pretty amazing - and yes it does work fine on an iPad

Current Local Time
    08:48 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Where am I uploading the Revit project file to?"

It is getting uploaded to Autodesk resources in the "the cloud". More specifically a section of AWS that we use for our cloud services.

"The entire project file seems to be available - drawing sheets etc. 3D views are a little disappointing to look at though, lacking textures or is that because I need to include texture file locations in the upload?"

It is what it is I guess. There is no way to upload any kind of textures or materials. I think they are abstracted a bit during the upload/extraction process in order for the performance of the model to be managed reasonably in a browser environment.

Current Local Time

Many thanks Jeff.

It is a very useful tool to have available. I found it particularly useful this week in discussions with technical reps for roof structure, floor structure, lifts and the like where they do not have access to anything other than 2D cad blocks to let them see context in accessible 3D that doesn't require heavy-duty hardware.

cheers,

Current Local Time
    12:48 AM

Will - before you upload the model, you can choose what 3d views/ sheets etc shows in the viewer by using the Collaborate/Publish settings tool:

There are some things within it that could be better implemented: I suggest you give them feedback: quite a few of my feedback items have been implemented over the past couple of months, which is really encouraging: the team seems keen as to make it better
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Collaborate.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	39094  

Current Local Time

Alex, many thanks for highlighting that feature

The biggest issue I have is the lack of materials showing on the surfaces which then sends me to the Export to Sketchup plugin from SimLab. Perhaps the two systems are complimentary as clients won't be interested in the technical items, just the surfaces and overall look

cheers,