Thread: help with multi-category scheduling

Current Local Time
    09:51 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

help with multi-category scheduling

i inherited a file that used a generic family to build a custom set of slider doors that are all throughout the project - these doors of course are not being picked up by the door schedule. I thought I might be able to make a multi category schedule with a shared parameter in all my doors and these custom sliders...and I have built it, but for whatever reason the most basic but vital field information is not being populated - eg Width, Height.

These fields are available and are reporting information in all the instances of every type but there is nothing in my schedule. Am I really going to have to go into each type and rebuild it so that this info become a new shared parameter?

Is there any other way around this dilemma? thanks in advance!

Current Local Time
    07:51 PM

Quote Originally Posted by oompa_l View Post
    i inherited a file that used a generic family to build a custom set of slider doors that are all throughout the project - these doors of course are not being picked up by the door schedule. I thought I might be able to make a multi category schedule with a shared parameter in all my doors and these custom sliders...and I have built it, but for whatever reason the most basic but vital field information is not being populated - eg Width, Height.

These fields are available and are reporting information in all the instances of every type but there is nothing in my schedule. Am I really going to have to go into each type and rebuild it so that this info become a new shared parameter?

Is there any other way around this dilemma? thanks in advance!
    Is there any reason you can't change the 'generic model' category to 'door' category for each of your families? That way you can simply create a door schedule (not multi)

As you are aware you'll need to use shared parameters for length, width etc. in your families if you want to be able to schedule these values in the project...these newly created shared parameters are not the same as the hard-coded door parameters, even when identically named. Obviously this is now going to cause extra columns in your schedules...

Depending on their complexity you could try nesting your existing generic families into a door template family and link the shared parameters through to the door templates hard-coded parameters.

Current Local Time
    04:51 AM

Just change the family from Generic Model to door

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHurtubise View Post
    Just change the family from Generic Model to door
    is there really a way to change a family's category? can i replace all the instances of the generic with the new door without going around swapping each one individually?

Current Local Time
    11:51 AM

Select the Generic family in the project. Edit Family.

Top left of your screen is a button with a little yellow folder called Family Category and Parameters. Open that and change Category to Doors.

Load Family back into your project.

That should take care of the Category change and the replacing of all the Generic ones with the Door one.

You will need to go back into the family and check which Parameters are present and which you might need to fill in/apply to dimensions.

Current Local Time

great! now is there a way to swap the instances of the generic with the new family that identifies as door??? if i choose one of the generic instances to swap to something else, I only have the other generic families in the project as options....are there any tricks to do this more efficiently than deleting and then placing a new one....?

thanks again

Current Local Time
    05:51 AM

You should be able to load the modified family back into the project as a door and they will all change.

Current Local Time
    03:51 AM

Assuming you don't change the family name when you load the family back into the project it should inform you that there is already one in the project and ask if you want to overwrite it. I've never had it not work when I've changed the family category during a project.