Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Navisworks...Getting started?

Current Local Time
    06:49 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    Not quite.

Basically; as we explained explained earlier - we use the manual .rvt to .nwc method - the .nwc files you're seeing are the automated go-between files Navisworks really needs (it doesn't "really" read Revit files).

Doing it manually means we can control when (and what) from the Revit model goes to Navis - the automated (append .rvt) route means the go-between/bridge .nwc file gets re-made each time you open the .nwf file - pulling in whatever the .rvt file looks like at that time.

Clear as mud?

Links don't get pulled - so it's something else. If you've fixed the errors (in the model) and Navis still refuses to play ball, I'm sorry but that's a bit too much of nothing to stab at from here... especially since I've only ever used .nwc files provided to me by my consultants, never made one for them.
    I've downloaded the Navisworks exporters and used them which worked well. Now i've got my 3 .nwc files into 1 .nwf file.
    So lets see if i've got this right, as I update my revit model, the .nwc files are updating, and when I open my .nwf file the .nwc are remade and latest versions are shown? and this only works using the export tool direct from Revit?

Now i'm in Navisworks i've got used to using the Navigation wheel and moving around my model and changing the visual settings. I'm going to have a look at creating sections next and maybe a walkthrough.

My original post was about creating walkthroughs but someone has told me to use Showcase as it is better for this purpose.

So my question is what other uses can I get from it, what is Navisworks used for other than walkthroughs.

Current Local Time
    07:49 PM

Quote Originally Posted by domsib View Post
    So lets see if i've got this right, as I update my revit model, the .nwc files are updating, and when I open my .nwf file the .nwc are remade and latest versions are shown? and this only works using the export tool direct from Revit?
    No, with the "manual method" you need manually re-export the .nwc as and when you require, from Revit, using the exporter.

My original post was about creating walkthroughs but someone has told me to use Showcase as it is better for this purpose.
    I for one don't like Showcase - and since Navisworks can do most (if not all) of things Showcase can, along with all the other (far more important to BIM) stuff - I'd say sticking with Navisworks is your best bet.

So my question is what other uses can I get from it, what is Navisworks used for other than walkthroughs.
    Wow - if I knew we were starting "here" then I'd have kept things simpler!

Navisworks, first and foremost, is a data-aggregator - that can read multiple formats (from multiple vendors and universal languages)

A good many in the industry use it to combine data from different sources into single space (think of all the file formats Revit can't link). Once you've all the data in the same place you can coordinate the work of all contributing parties. It has inbuilt clash detection tools, since 2014 quantity takeoff tools and also a tool to integrate and associate programme information with the model data to do construction sequencing. The walkthrough and rendering tools are purely (at least in my mind) there to assist with displaying the product of these (prior) processes - not to be used as a walkthrough/rendering tool alone (although, with work, there's no reason why you can't)

EDIT
    Thinking about it, we should probably move this thread to the sub-forum it belongs in...
    Last edited by snowyweston; October 25th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.

Current Local Time

No, with the "manual method" you need manually re-export the .nwc as and when you require, from Revit, using the exporter.

I for one don't like Showcase - and since Navisworks can do most (if not all) of things Showcase can, along with all the other (far more important to BIM) stuff - I'd say sticking with Navisworks is your best bet.

Wow - if I knew we were starting "here" then I'd have kept things simpler!

Navisworks, first and foremost, is a data-aggregator - that can read multiple formats (from multiple vendors and universal languages)

A good many in the industry use it to combine data from different sources into single space (think of all the file formats Revit can't link). Once you've all the data in the same place you can coordinate the work of all contributing parties. It has inbuilt clash detection tools, since 2014 quantity takeoff tools and also a tool to integrate and associate programme information with the model data to do construction sequencing. The walkthrough and rendering tools are purely (at least in my mind) there to assist with displaying the product of these (prior) processes - not to be used as a walkthrough/rendering tool alone (although, with work, there's no reason why you can't)

EDIT
    Thinking about it, we should probably move this thread to the sub-forum it belongs in...
    Yes i'm brand new to Navisworks. I've only opened it up once before.

But Thankyou. Your feedback has been great in helping me understand it further. Going to give youtube a blast the weekend and do a bit more reading. Then try to record a walkthrough following my mouse around the building.

Current Local Time
    07:49 PM

Then try to record a walkthrough following my mouse around the building.
    You could try that - but instead of the record method, look for guides on how to create animations with viewpoints - it's easier, and more powerful.

Current Local Time

You could try that - but instead of the record method, look for guides on how to create animations with viewpoints - it's easier, and more powerful.
    Will do