Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Needed: Data Extraction From Revit

Current Local Time
    03:36 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Help Needed: Data Extraction From Revit

Hello All,

I am very new to Revit and it's API functionalities. I am working on a project for which i need to extract the site boundaries, and building layout information from a Revit model. i.e. the x,y,z coordinates of the site boundary and the the building location. I am planning to use this information in developing a site layout planning model. As i am new to Revit and haven't used any of the functionalities, I have now clue on how to extract the required x,y,z coordinate information from a Revit model. I tried google, but not luck :-(.. Could anyone please help me with this? I would really appreciate any help with this, and i am in an urgent too... Thanks!!

Current Local Time
    05:36 PM

You need the SDK. Its included in your Revit distribution. There is a RevitAOI.hlp that is impotant but doesnt explain much. The examples that arew included in the SDK are a very good source of informition. And in version 2012 there is a great "Revit 2012 API Developer Guide.pdf". I like this dokument altough it is not complete yet. And very important - you need the building coder blog written by Jeremy Tammik(http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com). If you combine this sources you have everything you need for a depp understanding of the API

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

You could also use Excitech Toolkit. This is a free Addon. You'll need to create a point based family (Simple Generic Model Family will do). Draw a crosshair on the insertion point, place where needed, create a schedule of the Generic Model family and use the Excitech Toolkit to create and fill x, y and z-paramters. The schedule can be exported to a txt-file which can be imported in Excel.

Current Local Time

Thanks a lot for the information. I would go through the provided sources and see if it helps me. I tried the ODBC export option in Revit, but was not able to get the coordinates from the exported database. Do you have any thoughts on if the Revit RDBLink would help me getting the coordinates information?

Thanks & Regards,
    Karthick A.

Current Local Time

Thanks a lot for the information. I have downloaded the toolkit and installed. As i am very new to Revit, I have no clue on how to create the point based family (Simple Generic Model Family will do), and draw a crosshair on the insertion point. I will try to go through the toolkit manual and see if i can figure it out. Will let you know where i stand and if i need your further assistance to get through it :-)

Thanks and Regards,
    Karthick A.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time

How to create a point-based family:

In Revit, click the R > New > Family > Generic Model
    This IS a (Insertion) Point Based Family. The crosshair you see in reference planes is the insertion point of the family.
    Simply draw two lines of any given length and lock to the refplanes.

Import the family into Revit. Use Excitech Toolkit to create parameters for the family (they have a good tutorial on this).

Good luck!

Current Local Time

Thanks for the info. I am going through the exercise right now. Will let you know if I was not able to get through. Thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by mdradvies View Post
    How to create a point-based family:

In Revit, click the R > New > Family > Generic Model
    This IS a (Insertion) Point Based Family. The crosshair you see in reference planes is the insertion point of the family.
    Simply draw two lines of any given length and lock to the refplanes.

Import the family into Revit. Use Excitech Toolkit to create parameters for the family (they have a good tutorial on this).

Good luck!

Current Local Time
    11:36 AM

Even without using the API, you have property lines that can be tagged & scheduled, and spot coordinates (which can also show elevation) that can be placed in a view. Specify Coordinates at a Point to set your 0,0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenShot002.png   ScreenShot003.png  
    Last edited by truevis; May 17th, 2011 at 04:33 PM.

Current Local Time

I was not able to follow it. If you don't mind, could you please explain in further details about how i need to do so? Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by truevis View Post
    Even without using the API, you have property lines that can be tagged & scheduled, and spot coordinates (which can also show elevation) that can be placed in a view. Specify Coordinates at a Point to set your 0,0.

Current Local Time
    11:36 AM

Any update on how to do this (How do you EXTRACT DATA)