Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angled array nested into roof truss family

Current Local Time
    05:17 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Angled array nested into roof truss family

Hi All,

I really need some help with a family that I've created. It's essentially a pitched roof timber truss. I've nested some families into it which are the bracing gussets fixed to the sides of the timber members. I can get these to change angle with the truss nicely when the pitch is altered. However these bracing gussets need to be a set distance from each end and then be at a min/max of 600mm centres. I cannot achieve the minimum spacing, and it struggles when rotate the truss after I've put a dimension paramter for the offset at each ends. I need to somehow make this dimension link to a ref line or plane that rotates, as the dimension no longer is parallel to the rotated component.

Cheers

Current Local Time
    04:17 PM

Would like to post the truss family it will go a long way in being able to help you.

Current Local Time

Thanks. Have managed to sort this out shortly after you posted your reply! That always seems to be the way, hence I quite often battle it out by myself to get things resolved.

I have another problem with a structural column family which has been made into a timber frame column. I need to be able assign paramters to the overall height of the column. These heights also need to schedulable, of which I have shared parameters to do so. But the main issue is that if the height is controlled by the upper level (which is ideal for some columns - not all, as some will continue up to eaves level, but some will just be small infill panels and will want to be controlled with intance dimensions, to get round this I may create two different families) and I cannot see a way to run parameters off the top level value. Is this possible? For example I have an array which the quantity of items is updated depending on the height of the column. I have done this with a dimension but the whole family does not link with the upper level.

Current Local Time

Also, if I try to align the family within a project to a level it does nothing. The height is only controlled through the properties.

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    12:17 AM

I agree with Mark B., above. Please post some images of what you're dealing with. It's so much easier for us to provide some help if you post some illustrations or a family, instead of writing paragraphs with descriptions.

Current Local Time

OK thanks.

See image below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wall Panel.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	212.8 KB 
ID:	17790

Current Local Time

Going back to the roof trusses. I have the family working perfectly in family edit mode, but when it is loaded into a project is doesn't work properly (the bracing gussets go off) when changing the angles as can be seen in the images attached. Why is this? All things fine until loaded into a project?! Something simple I've missed off I'm assuming?!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof panel family - 35deg.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	17791Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof panel family - 45deg.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	17792Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Roof panel family in project 35 and 45 deg.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	171.8 KB 
ID:	17793

Current Local Time

Well, now you have two different questions in the same thread. Maybe it would be better to start a new thread for the other question.

Anyway, about the original question: make the array in one family, make that family workplane based, and nest it into the other family; set its workplane to a reference line that is controlled by an angular dimension. About the spacing, make the number of items be controlled by the value of the spacing.

About the other question, yes, it is possible to measure from the top level going down, in the structural column template. You can use a reporting parameter to schedule those distances.

Current Local Time

OK thanks Alfredo.

So to make the first family workplane based, how do I do that? At the moment the workplane box value is grey and displays: Level: Ref;level with no grey box to the right to adapt. If this is all normal, then how do I set the nested familys workplane to a reference line?

Current Local Time

In the family, on the ribbon, under the Modify tab, find "Category and Parameters". Set "Work Plane-Based" on and "Always vertical" off. Then, when the work plane-based family is loaded into another one, the placement option should be by "workplane". Then, you place and rotate the nested family so that its rotation matches the rotation of the reference line that is controlled by an angular dimension, and then you select the nested element and click on "Edit Workplane", and select the reference line.