Thread: Revit Family Selection in a Link

Current Local Time
    05:59 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Talking Revit Family Selection in a Link

Hi, I'm relatively new to Revit. I'm trying to copy/monitor an entire family in a linked model. Right now, I'm just selecting each element one by one, since the options under "select all instances" are grayed out (I assume because I'm dealing with a link). So, is there a way to select an entire family in a linked model?

I appreciate your help very much!!

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    03:59 AM

Quote Originally Posted by m.j. View Post
    Hi, I'm relatively new to Revit. I'm trying to copy/monitor an entire family in a linked model. Right now, I'm just selecting each element one by one, since the options under "select all instances" are grayed out (I assume because I'm dealing with a link). So, is there a way to select an entire family in a linked model?

I appreciate your help very much!!
    Insert tab, Insert from File, Insert 2D elements from file

Current Local Time
    11:59 AM

Quote Originally Posted by m.j. View Post
    I'm trying to copy/monitor an entire family in a linked model.
    I assume you mean you want to copy/monitor every instance of a (Model) family in the link into your project.

Go to Collaborate -> Coordination Settings. Select the correct linked model in the menu above.
    Find the category you want and change it from "Ignore Category" or "Copy Individualy" to "Allow Batch Copy". You can also set families to be replaced by another family of the same category if you want, or leave it as "Copy original".
    Now you can do Copy Monitor -> Batch Copy and it will import everything with "Allow Batch Copy".
    (I suggest doing this one category at a time because it can take a very long time... Also when you are done set everything back to "Ignore Category" so that it doesnt ask if you want to copy every time you open the model )

If you get a warning about copying the levels, use Copy Monitor -> Select Link -> Monitor (Creates relationship between elements in different files). Click on a linked level and then your level to associate them.

Unfortunately CM doesnt work with Workplane Based families... If everything you copied appears on the ground floor at height 0 instead of on the correct levels this is because they are workplane based. You can overwrite them with a Level based version in the link, or you can just use copy paste per level instead (Save linked model with a different name so you can open it at the same time.)
    Last edited by josephpeel; August 6th, 2014 at 08:09 AM.