Thread: Problmes worksharing on a Synology NAS

Current Local Time
    04:43 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Problmes worksharing on a Synology NAS

Our file server is a Synology NAS (DS412) with 4 2TB drives in a high performance RAID configuration. We're a small office and rarely have more than one person working on a central file, but in the past month we've had a few sessions where 3-4 of us were working on the same central file. Each time, at least one of us got a dreaded error message stating that our local file was no longer compatible and could not be synced. When I ping the server, it says the latency is less than 1ms, though I didn't think to ping it in the thick of our sessions.

My question is, is anyone here using a Synology as a file server and had to tweak settings, Revit, Synology, or maybe Windows, to avoid worksharing problems?

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    12:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by buttonsrtoys View Post
    Our file server is a Synology NAS (DS412) with 4 2TB drives in a high performance RAID configuration. We're a small office and rarely have more than one person working on a central file, but in the past month we've had a few sessions where 3-4 of us were working on the same central file. Each time, at least one of us got a dreaded error message stating that our local file was no longer compatible and could not be synced. When I ping the server, it says the latency is less than 1ms, though I didn't think to ping it in the thick of our sessions.

My question is, is anyone here using a Synology as a file server and had to tweak settings, Revit, Synology, or maybe Windows, to avoid worksharing problems?
    you might want to check out and get involved in this thread which has info that may be what you are looking for. Certainly people there that know what they are doing.

Current Local Time
    09:43 AM

Any chance one of your users might not be on gigabit networking? I used to see that kind of problem when one user dropped to 100 Mb/s. And I have seen some network hubs that drop one port to 100 Mb/s for some reason. Or a network card that does. If that person is working in a Revit central file the difference in performance seems to cause problems, or did some years ago when I dealt with it. And all the tests in the world on the server would never show the culprit. I am not even convinced that it is the user with the small pipe who sees the failure, just causes it for someone else. Yucky. Don't miss IT. Not one bit.
    BTW, the fast test I got used to was looking at the lights on the switch. There should be different colors for 100 vs 1000 Mb. Of course in the current millennium there is probably an iPhone app.

Gordon

Current Local Time
    08:43 AM

A little bit "Yes", but a bit more "No".

I have one here at home, (albeit only a DS213j) and have central files on it - and so far it's given me no issues. I underlined "me" because, well, it's only ever me accessing said centrals - but if I can convince the flatmate to click a few buttons on my 2nd computer over the weekend I'll let you know how we get on over wireless-only speeds - which should at least enable you to rule out, (albeit unscientifically) connection speeds as an issue.

Current Local Time
    04:43 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Price View Post
    Any chance one of your users might not be on gigabit networking?
    Gordon
    Thanks all for the quick responses. I should have mentioned, we're on a gigabit network.

I'll read up on the link Dave forwarded and anything else I can find and report back if I discover anything.

Current Local Time
    12:43 AM

We experienced a similar scenario: when a second person got in the model, worksharing stopped working. The issue related to SMB2 vs. SMB3 - the technology behind the Windows File System. In other words, you can't mix operating systems or systems using different SMBs.

Current Local Time
    09:43 AM

we're on a gigabit network.
    The thing that burned me was one CAT-5 cable from the wall to a computer, and maybe bad wall port too. As result that port was randomly dropping to 100B-T speeds and wreaking havoc. Thankfully I got out of the IT game before SMB revisions (& Windows Vista/7 print drivers)!

Current Local Time
    11:43 PM

I have had people that were accidentally hooked up to a 100mb port instead of a gigabit...that is a common slowdown...

Current Local Time
    03:43 AM

We had a Synology and I never had any issues with it. I haven't had any Revit related issues with the current Buffalo system but I would trade it for a Synology in a heartbeat.

I would look into the easy fixes first - swap your Cat-5 cables around and see if that makes a difference, then work your way towards the more difficult solutions. If you havent already - check out the Synology forums. They are pretty helpful in my experience.