Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toposurface, "Create from Import" - Revit 2015

Current Local Time
    03:58 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Hi i need help! I was requested to model a 3D site. Which i have no experience in and i am lost, very lost. When i try linking the DWG file to revit i get the following error and it won't show anything on the viewports. I wonder if the file from the beggining the DWG is just not set right or what is happening. Hope you guys can help me. I will attach the message revit gives me

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	23696

Current Local Time
    12:28 PM

You may have to clean up the dwg(purge & audit as well in some cases) and make sure you have only the lines and objects that you'd want to see to model the 3d site. If there is some object hanging around in the file at the far end of the site topo info, usually, this error is seen.

Current Local Time
    08:58 AM

As rohini suggests, it's always a good idea to clean out such files as much as possible. Preferably all you want inside the file is the actual contour lines, and probably something to ensure it's positioned / rotated correctly - e.g. cadastral grids.
    Quote Originally Posted by vikvar29 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	help.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	23696
    That's stating the DWG file is waaaaayyyy off to the side. Revit generally doesn't like such, thus the warning about objects inside that file being 20 miles away from the origin.

This is a common problem (especially from DWGs obtained from Civils). Several reasons why this could happen, here are some (note they may also be in combination):

• The issue is that the file's origin point (0,0,0) is at some datum point/level - which tends to be something like the closest beacon point to the site and sometimes z=0 means sea level. So if you import/link the file to Origin it means the actual drawing may be very far off to the side and way above your levels. Try to import/link the DWG using shared coordinates instead, if still not working, then Center and move the file afterwards to the "correct" position/level.
    • Ensure there's no other linework off to the side inside the DWG file - else even the Centre placement option will still produce the error.
    • Ensure the file is set to the correct units, e.g. if the file is drawn in meters but it's units property is left blank (as per the default) then Revit thinks it is drawn in milli-meters, effectively scaling everything inside the file by 1000. Same goes for inches / yards, or whatever the DWG and your RVT model is using. You could manually adjust this in the import/link dialog, but I tend to prefer editing the WDG inside AutoCAD to adjust the units setting properly (just open the DWG and type units<enter>).