Thread: Convert window family into curtain wall panel family

Current Local Time
    06:44 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Convert window family into curtain wall panel family

Hello Guys!

Please can tell me if it is possible to convert a window family into a curtain wall panel family. If possible how do I do that? The curtain wall panels designs are so few in Revit.

Current Local Time
    11:44 AM

For a quick hack you can replace the curtain wall panel with a wall component and then place a window in that wall.

As for converting it no you can't convert it, but you can nest the window family into the curtain panel family. Using reporting parameters on the reference planes in the CP family you can associate those to the width and height of the window family. You will also have to make the width and height parameters instance based inside the window family to get this to work correctly.

Current Local Time
    10:44 AM

Quote Originally Posted by amolese View Post
    Hello Guys!

Please can tell me if it is possible to convert a window family into a curtain wall panel family. If possible how do I do that? The curtain wall panels designs are so few in Revit.
    I take it you never bothered to create new mullion types? The possibilities with curtain wall panels and mullions are endless....
    You can also create panels with the frames already in them too. I use these for my windows when I have different panels (fixed & vent for example)

Current Local Time
    06:44 PM

Quote Originally Posted by MPwuzhere View Post
    I take it you never bothered to create new mullion types? The possibilities with curtain wall panels and mullions are endless....
    You can also create panels with the frames already in them too. I use these for my windows when I have different panels (fixed & vent for example)
    Thanks for all the answers. I know already that I can replace a curtain wall panel with a wall and insert a window there but you cannot do with exact precision as it will not insert it to match the wall to the nearest mm. Besides I have many to do and an additional wall will increase my file size. Also I know the endless configurations possible with curtain wall panels but it has limitations. For example if you want to insert a vertical sliding window, there is no curtain wall panel for such. I am using the revit-content all-in-one-window and sash window purchased from Revit-content. They give me endless possibilities of window configurations. I am trying to create various combinations of curtain walls with sash and other types of windows, pocket doors, sliding doors, bi-fold doors etc... being able to insert directly would be extremely useful. But thanks guys, @BD Mackeyyour suggestion of nesting the window family into the curtain panel family is a good idea. I will research it and see how I may make it work.
    Last edited by amolese; January 27th, 2015 at 03:22 PM.