Thread: Internal BIM standards

Current Local Time
    05:53 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Internal BIM standards

Could anyone point me in the direction or care to share their own businesses internal BIM standards document with me.

I'm looking for an internal document you hand to other Revit users which would include where to save files, what font you use, dimension styles etc.

I've previously completed a CAD standard guide for companies but not too sure what to include in a Revit/BIM standard.

If you don't want to share on forum, if you DM me i'll give you my email address.

This would be a massive help as I can't find any online.

Thank you

Current Local Time
    06:53 AM

Quote Originally Posted by domsib View Post
    I've previously completed a CAD standard guide for companies but not too sure what to include in a Revit/BIM standard.
    It's near exact the same thing.

The important thing to when writing a document for either (or both) is identify (to yourself first) what that document is meant to be.

In that; is it "truly" a CAD/RVT document, that only deals with "CAD/RVT things", (I.e. has guides on how to do certain tasks and operations in said program) - or is it a document intended to explain "all types of ouput"? The latter still requires the former, but you (at least I) write them very differently. For instance, having a rulebook for "all of our documents will look like this" means you'd then need a "how do you make a document look like that in XXXXXX" guide for each piece of software.

This is when I start to question the value of re-writing software help manuals for office use. Sure, there are things we don't do in Revit, (that you could learn about using the help function) and things we do do in Revit (that you won't ever read about in the program help) - and these things are recorded for reference - but more importantly such concepts are drilled into users from the get-go - and captured (whenever possible) in our template - for example, our default system ramp and soffit families are called "DO NOT USE".

Current Local Time
    05:53 AM

I've found standards have the most benefit with new users. One document to understand numbering and naming conventions, dimension styles to use etc.

As of now all users of revit in our office are going to be new to it. So I was hoping to get a document structured explaining what to use when and etc. Struggling for inspiration on the content though.

I'm not going to rewrite user guides on how to do things in Revit that can be left to tutorials and training but there are many ways to do things and I want our way in writing so we not all heading in different directions.

Current Local Time
    11:53 PM

I wrote a standards guide for a previous employer; I wish I still had access to it. Most of the sections had subsections for application to ACAD and Revit. There really weren't too many topics that were Revit exclusive. So that's where I'd start; look through your ACAD standards, and for each topic, determine what the Revit equivalent is.

Current Local Time
    01:53 PM

I have started at a new company just over a year ago and this is something that I have been tasked with also, alongside building a Revit template. The current ACAD standard here is extremely lacking in detail so all of what I am putting together for Revit is from scratch. I am in the early stages and am struggling with format, not having done one before, so if anyone is sharing a copy of theirs then I will be a grateful recipient. All of your tips are much appreciated also!
    Cheers.

Current Local Time
    06:53 AM

https://aecuk.wordpress.com/

We've started with this as a base point and modified it to suit other office specific requirements and business procedures.