Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you do your existing building surveys into Revit now?

Current Local Time
    11:20 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

How do you do your existing building surveys into Revit now?

I've been looking at ways of improving the way I get existing building surveys into Revit and came across this type of software related to laser scanning:

I wondered if laser scanning was now widespread or what other methods people use to get existing buildings into Revit (most of my projects involve old and historic buildings which are seldom nice and square )

Thanks.

Current Local Time
    05:20 PM

Laser scans are great... for scanning. They absolutely suck for modeling, if you let them model automatically. You get a ridiculous amount of hyper-finite angles and lengths, and almost nothing at 90 degrees. Using one of those models for real architecture and construction work afterwards, is basically a joke.

We laser scan, and then we model over it, manually, without snapping. Its the only way to get something even somewhat reliable AND "normal" for architecture.

Current Local Time

Thanks Aaron, that's very useful to know.

My local land surveyor is starting to offer laser scanning of buildings and I've been to Autodesk presentations on Recap which is in my BDSP subscription but that's how it looked to me - still an awful lot of hand work.

cheers,

Current Local Time
    05:20 PM

I had to write spec's for modeling off of Laser Scanning, for our own internal department as well. I was a bit dismayed that i had to do it, since it wasnt an exercise in technical software so much as an exercise in pointing out critical thinking and what information is useful and what information is uesless, but it went something like this:

These pages are all excerpts from our larger BIM-E, but these are the changed pages related to reality capture.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by willsud View Post
    what other methods people use to get existing buildings into Revit (most of my projects involve old and historic buildings which are seldom nice and square
    Presently? Z-Maps/Vertex-sourced context models, but for our Rhino workflows/

For Revit? Two ways;
    1. Said sourced models go into a site component family, each separate property gets "trace" modelled, the import purged, then loaded and placed.
    2. Any immediate (i.e. touching) context - when requiring demo work - will get modelled "as best as can be" using native Revit tools.

But (and I know this is no excuse) with our current work doing very very little existing/demo/context work (it's pretty much all clean-slate sites) we're not really looking at those kind of workflows.

In a former (work) life I did get to play with a very nice point-cloud-scan-translated-to-Revit model (provided by others) of a rather handsome 60's concrete tower (for an internal refurb/fit-out project) and that was a joy to work with (or to be more precise, "within") - but that was only because we had a great dialogue with the model provider/author to have them edit/correct the Revit model throughout the project lifetime (it was commissioned and employed as an existing contextual benchmark and the "new" data from periodic scans run during the demo. stages were continually re-fed into it)

For your kind of work, I'd be more inclined to think along the lines of ReCap - at least for contextual referencing - not that I've had much cause, or opportunity, to fully get hands on with that. But for actual modelling-with work? I'd (perhaps lazily) run with watertight caveats on your acceptable assumptions of accuracy and dimension-on-site disclaimers!

Current Local Time

That's very kind of you Aaron - many thanks.

Thanks Snowy... really useful stuff this as it isn't really a subject that gets much attention except in the product literature of scanner manufacturers and resellers

Current Local Time

Just wondered - anyone here used a 3D Disto at all for building measuring or setting out?

It's on version 3 now (of the firmware anyway) and is rather pricey and not terribly well explained by Leica but looks potentially interesting...

Leica's 3D Disto Facebook page has some nice pictures and stuff:
    https://www.facebook.com/Leica3dDisto

and Leica also have another new Disto - the S910 - which is a bit of a strange-looking device:
    Leica DISTO? S910 - Measure anything from anywhere - Leica Geosystems

Current Local Time
    06:20 PM

I've only had a chance to work with one laser scan and it was helpful but not fantastic. In all fairness however, it was one of the first scans the company ever did and there is a bit of a learning curve. That said - it was great for verifying heights on the facade and changes in grade but it wasn't worth much in terms of actual modeling other than using it as an overlay. But for getting details on a 100 year old church it is way faster than getting up on a lift with a tape and notepad

Most of our as-built work it is done the old fashioned way with a tape, pad of paper, camera and laser. We have a Disto X310 (i think) and it is light years beyond trying to use a tape measure but it does have its limits with distance and lighting levels. The newer versions have a camera so you can see what you are targeting and some work well outside but they get pricey.

Current Local Time

Just started working at mechanical design firm that uses laser scanning i know recreating things in mechanical rooms that where built in the 60's with many upgrades and retrofits through the years the laser scan makes recreating the room alot easier then pen, paper, and tape measure. But u still have to model everything it comes in through point cloud in revit. (kinda a grainy 3d picture). Being able to scan things and then have it modeled in revit would be sweet not sure what would happen when something gets in front of the scan like a untilty pole or something. Lots of scans?
    Last edited by Darius; April 9th, 2015 at 08:48 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Darius View Post
    Being able to scan things and then have it modeled in revit would be sweet not sure what would happen when something gets in front of the scan like a untilty pole or something. Lots of scans?
    Multiple scans. The scanners are registered to points around the site and the scans should overlap if done properly so you will get the pole and whatever is behind it.