Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Highrise Apartmnt Workflow

Current Local Time
    09:06 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    For efficient, time saving workflow.

1. Build shell and core model separate from apartment interior elements. Set Project North as soon as possible.

2. Build apartment interior Model made ofModel Groups. acquire Shared Coordinated to match shell & core Model. Group is a powerful tool when put in the right hands. Make Walls unconnected using specific Height values and keep component families, like kitchen cabinets simple. Add small Generic Family to center of apartment interior Groups for Tagging as Model Groups do not Tag. Model Groups do Schedule. Build Parent Group made of Nested apartment interior Groups then Copy to Clipboard and Paste to Levels as needed. Use the Tab Delete function to Exclude Groups from Parent in order to make slight variations to Parent Groups. Use Restore tool as needed. Again these are all great Revit tools to be used for this purpose.

3. Avoid using propagation of LinkedIn RVTs as there may be problems with Scheduling per Level and Family management across disparate RVTs. Keep in simple with as few RVTs as possible. Break up RVTs for performance not propagation.

4. Avoid using Assemblies as this is not intended use. They are a shop drawing tool.

5. Create you own custom apartment unit matrix (Model Group Schedule). Match the Generic Family name and Model Group name described in step 2.

Recommendations

a. Manually add square footage values to apartment interior Group via Shared Parameter.
    b. Do not use Rooms or Areas in apartment interior Model. Keep the mode very simple.
    c. Use industry standard A = 1 Bedroom, B = 2 Bedroom and C = 3 Bedroom as prefix for apartment interior Model Group Tags
    d. Do not mirror Model Groups. Create separate apartment unit Model Groups for "mirrored apartments". Use a different ID. A1.0-236 vs A1.1-236 where .1 becomes the mirrored version of .0 and vise versa.

Current Local Time
    02:06 PM

Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    Exactamundo.

...For a while (for a bit of fun) I used a perfume bottle in bathroom groups and a saucepan for kitchen groups - but nowadays I just use a small cylinder marker with model text that picks up/displays the two shared parameters I use, (one type-based for the group type, one instance-based for the unique group "number")....
    I wonder if it would be better to model a "certificate" that goes on the apartment entrance wall so in Enscape you could see all the info when you walk into the apartment

Current Local Time
    09:06 PM

Great idea. Thanks and all the best!

https://www.sixtysecondrevit.com/201...room-tag-node/

Current Local Time
    12:06 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what's the purpose of adding a widget family? Purely for tagging? It sounds like it still requires manual data entry and someone to manually verify that the widget parameters and the group name/layout are actually matching, and if so, is there any reason widgets are preferable over just taking something like the kitchen bench (or some other dominant/agreed upon component) and putting the group info into some of the parameters there?

Current Local Time
    03:06 AM

Quote Originally Posted by LeChumpOfStultz View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what's the purpose of adding a widget family? Purely for tagging? It sounds like it still requires manual data entry and someone to manually verify that the widget parameters and the group name/layout are actually matching, and if so, is there any reason widgets are preferable over just taking something like the kitchen bench (or some other dominant/agreed upon component) and putting the group info into some of the parameters there?
    The widget was a hackaround before Group schedules became a thing. But seeing as Groups still can't hold all the info. our widgets do - we've not made the jump.

There's value in what you say - save not all groups get a kitchen counter (why I moved on from my perfume bottle) - and our (now Entourage) widget can be used when and wherever we need it (not just in a residential unit counting capacity)

Further, the widget acts, when allowed to be - and left in 3D - as a useful navigation tool in other workflows (namely Navisworks, where you typically would hide the room volumes from the model space) - and, with some cuteness, could very much do what Alex is suggesting - although I try to avoid the geometry overload of model text these days.

+ your concerns re: data entry/verification steps - whilst valid - are mostly moot (in my opinion) since,

1. we (now) have dynamo doing a lot of the heavy lifting there anyway,
    2. we have dynamo do checks for us against that data as well,
    3. we have further automated checks in our Excel schedules,
    and
    4. human checks to catch any strays.

Essentially, what I'm trying to get at is - work is work, and oft. requires, and deserves, some!
    Last edited by snowyweston; August 21st, 2019 at 08:22 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by BIMNerd View Post
    For efficient, time saving workflow.
    Avoid reading threads resurrected from 4 years ago?

Welcome to the forum.

Current Local Time
    12:06 PM

I'm not sure how long it takes you to craft your posts snowy, or if it's a skill that comes rather effortlessly to you, but your responses always make for an enjoyable reading experience. I find them both incredibly informative and oddly hilarious given the subject matter, so thank you greatly.

Further, the widget acts, when allowed to be - and left in 3D - as a useful navigation tool in other workflows (namely Navisworks, where you typically would hide the room volumes from the model space) - and, with some cuteness, could very much do what Alex is suggesting
    Finally a task worthy of my creativity, I'm all in on widgets!

Essentially, what I'm trying to get at is - work is work, and oft. requires, and deserves, some!
    had to end on a downer

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by LeChumpOfStultz View Post
    so thank you greatly.
    No, thank you.

(I try to write like I talk, so it mostly comes easy, and when it doesn't, I have an edit tool to abuse!)

Current Local Time

Rooms for each room
    Area plans for apartment plans
    Model group "widget" family for scheduling units
    Simples
    Apologies for dredging up an old thread but I've just been told I'm moving onto a new project of 4 towers with a total of about 1500 apartments. I've not done apartments in Revit before and I was just thinking about the best way to go about it. Is this still the best / most reliable way? ie model groups for apartment types as opposed to separate models linked in? i guess linking in 1500 models would kill the main model when opening.

Current Local Time
    07:06 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Opinions vary, as they do. For me its Model Groups all the way (but be aware of the limitations of non-system hosted families) and Area Plans for scheduling.