Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Highrise Apartmnt Workflow

Current Local Time
    12:57 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Thanks Greg, I've been looking at other places and they seem to agree that Model Groups is the way to go. I think the project will need very careful management to ensure things dont go awry

Current Local Time
    01:57 AM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Not done 1500 (!) apartments, but somewhere around 200 and I agree that Model Groups is the way to go and with attached detail groups for dimensions you should be working pretty efficient.
    I would get yourself some sinks and toilets etc that are none wall or workplane hosted just to be sure.

Current Local Time

AND no idea if you need stuff like individual floor plans for each apartment for example, but that where Dynamo comes in (even with 200 apartments)

Current Local Time

I'm a HUGE dynamo fan and I'm hoping we get a decent amount of lead-in time to get things sorted (such as complete drawing lists) before we dive in.

Current Local Time

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Yes planning is everything with projects like these. Spending a few days upfront can save you weeks in the end.

Current Local Time

For anyone who is interested there is a pretty good AU video (and downloads) of a presentation to do with this

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-un...gaproject-2016

I think I've decided which way works best for my project but I'm going to have a sit down with the team and see what they think.

Current Local Time
    06:57 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    For anyone who is interested there is a pretty good AU video (and downloads) of a presentation to do with this

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-un...gaproject-2016

I think I've decided which way works best for my project but I'm going to have a sit down with the team and see what they think.
    Yeah, i (personally) would be careful about how much latitude you give the project team to make that decision on their own.

Links "sound" like a better option, on paper. Heck, they sounded like the way to go to me too, the first few times i tried to do a project like that. "On paper" the link methodology makes more sense, except that the caveats are WAY worse, and they scale exponentially worse, as well.

The Cons to groups from that presentation, are all workable. The mirroring, rotating, etc, is all doable if your content is Unhosted.

The Family "version" isnt even a real option, if you care about the quality of the model, at all.

Current Local Time
    05:57 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Yeah, i (personally) would be careful about how much latitude you give the project team to make that decision on their own.
    Particularly if it's your job to make these decisions. Presumably you know more than most on the team about how this all works.

Of course management has to support you on these decisions. If they don't then just list pros and cons of each and say "good luck!"

Current Local Time

ultimately it will be my decision but that doesnt mean i dont want to take other people's views into consideration, after all they may come up with an idea i'd not thought of. As a team i think it's pretty important that people have an input into how the team / project works as a whole. I've always hated working in teams where one person sits there telling others what to do without any input from anyone else.

Current Local Time
    06:57 PM

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by robp View Post
    ultimately it will be my decision but that doesnt mean i dont want to take other people's views into consideration, after all they may come up with an idea i'd not thought of. As a team i think it's pretty important that people have an input into how the team / project works as a whole. I've always hated working in teams where one person sits there telling others what to do without any input from anyone else.
    Yeah, understood. And- as much as people say i come off like a know-it-all online- its less about "telling them what to do," and more about "telling them what ive already screwed up, in my life."

Years ago, i did a multifam project that i thought would be best served by Links, because (on paper) it makes much more logistical sense, especially if you come from a CAD background, where xref's are king. And even i (massive lover of groups) admit that groups are sloppy, and imprecise, and "uncomfortable." So, Links seem so natural. But it was awful. Granted, it was halfway devent if you didnt mind the hoops: having locals of each file, knowing when to reload, knowing if you wanted tag-through-links or VG:BLV for each link, knowing to unload them all to cut new views, and so on, and so on. I didnt mind it, but the general staff was ready to revolt.

Its just that... you CANT really mitigate all of the big issues with Links. They even list "possible" solutions in the PPT, but those possible solutions dont all bear fruit.

The worst support call i ever took as an in-house BIM Manager, was from a teammate "Mary." She was on a LARGE multi family project, and she was good at her job. She was kicking ass. I had helped them set the whole model up with groups, and they were rolling. Someone on the team (not her) decided the job would be better with Links, and they took a couple of days and converted it all. They were in a satellite office from me, so i didnt even know it was happening. When it was done, i said "well, okay, i wouldnt have, but its your show," and i let them be (that was a mistake, and ill own that). I woke up on a Saturday (that i wasnt planning to work) and my phone and IM was going nuts. "Mary" was in the office trying to get work done, and every time she tried to cut a section through the building, it just spin-wheeled, spin-wheeled, spin-wheeled, and she couldnt even move. So i jumped on my computer to talk to her. She was almost in tears, but our conversation went like this:

Me: Its spinwheeling because of all the links. if you need to create all these views, we need to unload the links first (or unload the worksets so the model doesnt see the links).
    Her: I cant unload them. I need them to know where the views have to go. What ELSE can we do?
    Me: Well, we can trace the plan with lines so you know where the views go, THEN unload the links, THEN cut the views, THEN reload the links.
    Her: Reloading the links takes 30 minutes! I cant keep working like this. Ive been here all day and ive got nothing done, at all.
    Me: Yeah. Links for units is tough on performance. If they are on, view regen is slow. If they are off, you cant see where you are going.
    Her: What can we do? I have to get Sections done.
    Me: Well, we can convert the model back to Groups. Back to the way it was before.
    Her: Okay, fine. Lets do that. Can you do it?
    Me: Yeah, i can start today.
    Her: How long will it take?
    Me: I can be done Tuesday. But the model is gonna be sort of damaged, afterwards.
    Her: I was hoping for like "a few minutes." I have to get these sections done!
    Me: Yeah, i know. I have no options that can fix this today, except turning off the Links. This is why we should have left them as groups, unfortunately.
    Her: .............

Those conversations SUCK. Its not an "i told you so" moment. I dont enjoy those, contrary to popular misconception. Its an "im sorry i now cant help you more," moment. And those suck.

Again, its less that i would want them doing it *my way,* and more that "i thought the same thing they did, so i tried it, and it sucks." But your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; January 6th, 2020 at 04:22 PM.