Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Highrise Apartmnt Workflow

Current Local Time
    02:08 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Highrise Apartmnt Workflow

Hey, i have workend on a few highrise apartment buildings now and i read over many blogs about best practices and workflow, still not quite satisfied. in the tower we have 200 units, 20 or so types and all need a unique number, and they have rooms inside so the practice of 1 room per apartment would not work. i was curious how other offices handle this issue, i set up parameters for rooms that feed its id and numbers but its hard to make those edits for groups that have a large numer of copies due to long thinking times, any suggestions?

Current Local Time
    03:08 PM

Rooms for each room
    Area plans for apartment plans
    Model group "widget" family for scheduling units
    Simples

Current Local Time
    08:08 AM

- 1 model for core and shell
    - 1 model for each unique unit type
    - Link unit files into core/shell model, link core/shell (as overlay) into each unit
    - Set linked unit files to be not room bounding (select an instance of each unit type, select "Edit Type" and uncheck "Room bounding", only have to do this once per unit type)
    - Create rooms (i.e. bedroom, bath, kitchen, etc.) in each unit file, and label appropriately
    - Create a single "room" in core/shell file for each individual unit (i.e. #314, #315, #316, etc.)
    - Assign linked unit files to their own workset so you can close it for faster/easier editing of the core/shell model

Works for us on our current project, a 19-story multi-family highrise with 344 individual units, and 20ish unique unit types.

Current Local Time
    09:08 AM

Quote Originally Posted by snowyweston View Post
    Rooms for each room
    Simples
    This. All in one model.

Current Local Time
    02:08 PM

Rooms for each room
    Simples
    can you forther explain this widget family? is this a generic model in each group with a custom number? how does that feed the info into the room schedule, do you use multifamily schedules for it then? i think im understanding you, ill give it a try, im a bit weary of the link models, because changes to plan layouts need to be done in the context of the building and it was realy too much of a hassle to link and relink, in our early project we tried that and everyone hated it so im trying to make groups work, for much larger projects, yes links would be the way to go, but in my mind thats a last resort. i guess ive seen some posts about using a family for apartments scheduling but im not entirely sure how that works- i would need to be able to make a schedules of al the rooms in an apartment of a certain type, also a schedule that would report the full area of each apartment by number, would all the rooms in a group pick up on this widget group being present? also thank you so much for your replies, this forum is a tremendous help

Current Local Time
    03:08 PM

Quote Originally Posted by karpov005 View Post
    can you forther explain this widget family? is this a generic model in each group with a custom number? how does that feed the info into the room schedule, do you use multifamily schedules for it then? i think im understanding you,
    Exactamundo.

Well, kind of. You don't need to use a mult-category schedule, just one specific to the family you make - which doesn't necessarily have to be a generic model, but a room-aware category is obviously best.

For a while (for a bit of fun) I used a perfume bottle in bathroom groups and a saucepan for kitchen groups - but nowadays I just use a small cylinder marker with model text that picks up/displays the two shared parameters I use, (one type-based for the group type, one instance-based for the unique group "number")

Quote Originally Posted by karpov005 View Post
    i would need to be able to make a schedules of al the rooms in an apartment of a certain type, also a schedule that would report the full area of each apartment by number, would all the rooms in a group pick up on this widget group being present?
    The "widget" isn't - as far as I use/employ/need it - for anything more than counting out model groups. With regards room/apartment areas - it's highly highly unlikely, (wherever you are in the world) that you can just rely on Revit's returned area values of your rooms for a schedule of accommodation that complies with all the joyous intricacies of actually producing a schedule of accommodation - in as much, you will often make omissions (shared common areas, building service zones within the unit footprint, amenity, etc) - hence why the use of an area plan - that's purely drawn, to suit said complexities of area measurement/reporting.
    Last edited by snowyweston; May 24th, 2015 at 09:09 PM.

Current Local Time
    02:08 AM

I trialed the Linking Unit Option
    350 Units, 5 Different Types Linked into Multiple Levels, then the Levels Linked into the Main one...Ended up taking over an Hour to just open...Ahhh with a Capital A

As a test I tried Binding all the Links & then just editing them all as Groups....now only takes 30 seconds to open

Current Local Time
    10:08 AM

Another idea for room widget

You can also use floors to accomplish this. Creating a unique floor type for each unit type allows you to Schedule, Tag and get the area of the unit using one object. View filters and templates can be used to control visibility. (BTW, I love the term "widget" for this application)

Exactamundo.

Well, kind of. You don't need to use a mult-category schedule, just one specific to the family you make - which doesn't necessarily have to be a generic model, but a room-aware category is obviously best.

For a while (for a bit of fun) I used a perfume bottle in bathroom groups and a saucepan for kitchen groups - but nowadays I just use a small cylinder marker with model text that picks up/displays the two shared parameters I use, (one type-based for the group type, one instance-based for the unique group "number")

The "widget" isn't - as far as I use/employ/need it - for anything more than counting out model groups. With regards room/apartment areas - it's highly highly unlikely, (wherever you are in the world) that you can just rely on Revit's returned area values of your rooms for a schedule of accommodation that complies with all the joyous intricacies of actually producing a schedule of accommodation - in as much, you will often make omissions (shared common areas, building service zones within the unit footprint, amenity, etc) - hence why the use of an area plan - that's purely drawn, to suit said complexities of area measurement/reporting.

Current Local Time
    09:08 AM

Yeah, but having a floor for each unit is a mess, especially if the units actually have different finishes and stuff in them, in different rooms or areas. Thats a lot of Floor Types, and a lot of possible confusion.

Current Local Time
    10:08 AM

I use worksets to segregate the unit type floors from the structural and finish floors (the unit floors don't relate to unit finishes). It isn't that many floor types (just one per unit type). Besides, IMHO, if you are using a "widget" object to schedule this stuff anyway it might as well be a floor. But I agree - it could definitely get confusing if not everyone involved in the process was aware of the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Yeah, but having a floor for each unit is a mess, especially if the units actually have different finishes and stuff in them, in different rooms or areas. Thats a lot of Floor Types, and a lot of possible confusion.