Thread: Changing Pipe/Duct Connection Shape

Current Local Time
    08:35 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Changing Pipe/Duct Connection Shape

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any funky little tricks to change the shape of a pipe/duct connector via a parameter control?
    My company makes fan units that have optional circular or rectangular spigots and its a little tricky getting them to be easily changeable for the customer.

The only way I can think of it the long winded method of setting up arrays and having both shape connectors set up from the start so the appropriate connector hides depending on the array count. But as I say this is quite long winded, especially with a unit with 6+ spigots.

Any suggestions are welcome

Current Local Time
    09:35 AM

Nope. Unfortunately this is one of the few things that cannot be controlled by a parameter.

Personally I really think if revit was CONSISTENT in making all parameters behave in the same way and make it possible to control every possible feature of families with INFORMATION, rather than manually, then it would be a much better BIM tool...

Anyway,
    What I do for families with multiple connector types is just put all the possible connectors in the same family. You can either host them on the face of a sub-family, that is moved around with length and angle parameters, or locate different connectors in the same place. (For example round and rectangular duct connection on the same extrusion face).
    So with the first option you just set all the unused connectors for that type to be at 0,0,0, in the middle of the family, which should make it obvious they are not intended to be used. Or with connectors in the same place users get a menu asking which they want to use when they connect something (Use the connector description to clearly say what the options are).
    Last edited by josephpeel; August 18th, 2015 at 12:01 PM.

Current Local Time
    08:35 AM

Sorry just realised I posed this in the structure forum for some reason. Sorry about that. If it can be moved by a mod please do.

Thanks for the reply joseph,
    I've tried to get that second option to work (getting the menu to appear) but it only ever seems to choose the circular connection without asking which one.

Not being that familiar with the project side of Revit I may well be doing something wrong.

I just did a test. A simple box extrusion with two connectors on the same end in the same place. One circular, one rectangular. I also named them 'circular' and 'rectangular'. I inserted the test family into the default mechanical template and clicked the duct connection and it immediately started to the draw circular duct without any options. What am I doing wrong?

I am using 2013 btw.

Current Local Time
    09:35 AM

Hmm.. just tested it again and works for me. I am using R2014 and 15 though.
    I get a menu like this if the connectors are in the same place:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Double Connectors.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	23134

I did right click on the + and select Draw Duct from the menu rather than click on the symbol, maybe that makes a difference.
    Last edited by josephpeel; August 24th, 2015 at 04:45 PM.