Thread: copy/monitor killed when arch model unlinked?

Current Local Time
    12:04 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

copy/monitor killed when arch model unlinked?

I'm still trying to figure out most everything with this program, even after about 14 months.

When you initially get an architectural model. I go to copy/monitor, filter everything structural and say finish.
    After this your grids, walls, everything should be on point with architectural model right?

Sometimes, I found I'd like to open the architectural model to see architectural stuff to be sure openings are all there, etc., and would be forced to unlink the project. The other day I found this post: Revit OpEd: Worksets for the Small Project Is this another reason to be sure to use the worksets for linked files?

Another co-worker pointed out everything I copy/monitored was not copy/monitored. Does unlinking ruin that relationship? I "knew" I copy/monitored everything to start with.

I found a few times when the architectural model was relinked it shifted to a different place, which I dont' understand if the origin point had not changed.

How do you handle this scenario ?

and a hearty thank you -

Current Local Time
    11:04 PM

Yeah...unlinking the model removes it from the project, along with any saved view settings you or a coworker set.

Best method...open another session of Revit and detach from Central...or...if you have already opened, detached and saved you, can just open as a local file. The key is "Another Session"!

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    11:04 PM

It would help if you described the scope of the project and the project files involved.

Worksets:

My blog post you mentioned assumes that there is a project that has more than one building or project file that are linked together. If each project file has enabled worksets then it is possible to open a local file for each of them in the same session of Revit because the version of each of the project files that is linked to each other is the central file, not a user's local file.

Let's assume Building A and Building B are part of a project that shares the same site. I want to work on A and B at the same time, current session of Revit. If each of these files are linked into each other I can't do that when they are stand-alone project files. When we enable worksets for each of them and open a local file we'll find we can open each project in the same session.

Copy/Monitor:

I seldom, more like never, use C/M on everything that is eligible for it. The tabs (in the dialog) are listed in the order they are likely or appropriate to use (I think so anyway). Levels and Grids are a pretty sure thing. I'll want my own version of them so I can make my documentation look the way I need it to. Columns are a maybe and usually only if I'm doing structural work. Walls and Floors are even less likely, unless again I'm doing structural work and it's a wood framed building where nearly all the external walls end up being structural (bearing and/or shear). Btw Copy/Monitor in 2016 has added the ability to specify the Location Line Revit uses during the C/M process.

Once you are using C/M don't Detach the link, just use Reload instead...it is exactly like AutoCAD external references. If C/M goes haywire you can Stop Monitoring. Select the affected elements and click the Stop Monitoring button. Once you've fixed the position of the affected elements you can use the Monitor part of C/M instead to restore the monitoring behavior.

Can't explain why your linked file is moving without more clues...

Current Local Time

Ok, it's starting to make more sense. thank you Michael

I'm an architect, but happen to be working for a structural engineer at the moment, and am getting to see a huge difference in creating a model (architectural) and working with one (structural). Though I think it will help create better architectural models in the future.

A coworker (structural drafting) mentioned the model elements (walls, openings, roof) were not copy monitored. With Steve's blog post I see we need to keep linked architectural models on a workset to maintain that Copy/Monitor relationship. That helps huge, and something I can share at the engineers office.

Is it possible for grids/levels to change in a structural model if they were copy/monitored, and then unlinked? Apparently the levels now differ from the architectural. Not sure if this is possible.

This project is a straight ahead tilt up warehouse project with a flat roof and steel trusses. There are two files involved, architectural, and structural.

Current Local Time
    02:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by trevorpan View Post
    Is it possible for grids/levels to change in a structural model if they were copy/monitored, and then unlinked? Apparently the levels now differ from the architectural. Not sure if this is possible.

Of course it's possible to alter any element in either model regardless if it's copy/monitored or not. Think of it like this: each model it it's own independent entity. All copy/monitor does is copy an element and lets you know if the element has been moved. I copy/monitor arch elements and move them all the time. No elements are "locked" from one model to the other. Plus, once you lose the link, all is fair game. no more warning messages of elements moving.

To add to your first question. Yes you can open an arch model while the struct is open and you will not lose the copy/monitor link. All that will happen is that Revit will unload the linked model. It does not remove the link. Once you close out all that needs to be done is reload the file. Of course if you wish to avoid this just open another Revit and open the arch file from there.

Current Local Time

Thanks Mr. Greg,

it's slowly coming together, just want to be sure I'm following best practice!