Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hiding Sections of Pipes

Current Local Time
    11:56 PM

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Question Hiding Sections of Pipes

Would anyone find it useful to have a tool that hides sections of pipes in plan view to the extent I've demonstrated in the attached image? It would need to involve not splitting and hiding pipe elements, but truly just hiding the singular element along the user defined length.

Please, do not lecture me on how to use Revit. That is not the point of this post as I'm not a newbie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hidden pipe.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	39.2 KB 
ID:	23930  

Current Local Time

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Our new answer is to modify the filled pipe end detail component and hide the whole pipe. Align and lock the detail component line work to the pipe.

Name:	pipe break mod1.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	4.2 KB 
ID:	23931  

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by TFuller View Post
    Would anyone find it useful to have a tool that hides sections of pipes in plan view to the extent I've demonstrated in the attached image? It would need to involve not splitting and hiding pipe elements, but truly just hiding the singular element along the user defined length.
    100% yes, I would use such a tool. It would be very useful indeed.

Current Local Time

Our new answer is to modify the filled pipe end detail component and hide the whole pipe. Align and lock the detail component line work to the pipe.
    This still wouldn't be as effective as a tool that does works like the Split tool, where you pick to points along a pipe run and it hides everything in between, placing the pipe break symbols at each end. In the way you've provided it (obviously) will hide anything below the mast portion of the Detail Component.

So, just to reaffirm, I would love to have an actual integrated Revit tool that does such a thing. When piping systems in mechanical rooms get congested it can greatly help out.

Current Local Time
    12:56 AM

Can you explain a little more about how this works? I'm very interested!

At my firm, we just put 2D "squiggle" annotation families into our standard Pipe Union. Visibility is controlled by an instance Yes/No parameter. To cut a pipe, I Split the pipe in two locations, hide the middle segment, and turn the Visibility Parameter on for the two new Unions I just made. It works well enough for me, but I always like to learn new Revit tricks.

I'd love to have a dynamic "cutaway" family for double-line pipes, like what you showed in that picture, that scaled to match the OD of the pipe. Just haven't gotten around to developing that one yet....

Current Local Time

I've never cared for the cut-away approach unless it is an entire view designed as such. Using them on floor plans is counter intuitive to me.

If you are going to use them in a floor plan, a symbol different from a standard break should be used to indicate it as a cut-away.

JMTC

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Necro99 View Post
    At my firm, we just put 2D "squiggle" annotation families into our standard Pipe Union. Visibility is controlled by an instance Yes/No parameter. To cut a pipe, I Split the pipe in two locations, hide the middle segment, and turn the Visibility Parameter on for the two new Unions I just made. It works well enough for me, but I always like to learn new Revit tricks.
    I do not like adding extraneous fittings that could affect a BOM or QTO, that's why I wanted to avoid the split and hide method. That method instances of couplers that only exist for the sake of "drafting" and this is anti-BIM in my opinion. Definitely an area where the desires of traditional 2D drafting methods do not always comply with BIM principles in the actual execution within Revit.

This request came to me via a coworker whose department runs Plant3D and we are seeing how much we can make Revit still produce the drawings they are used to seeing (We don't need a sidebar conversation on this - we are all well versed in the follies of this attitude but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do no matter how much evangelizing).

The filled pipe break annotation symbol was modified to include extra line work for the "sides" of the pipe and a stretchable parameter for pipe length was added to make the squiggle pipe body as long as needed.

You would draw the squiggle across the pipe from side to side. Align and lock the sides of the pipe squiggle "pipe sides" to the sides of the actual pipe. Then drag the end of the pipe squiggle's "pipe end" down to the end of the actual pipe which is likely to the next fitting. Then hide the real pipe, just leaving a 2D representation of the pipe that includes the pipe squiggle.

I removed the unnecessary masking region.

Name:	pipe break mod2.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	23963  
    Last edited by TFuller; October 19th, 2015 at 02:16 PM.

Current Local Time

I do not like adding extraneous fittings that could affect a BOM or QTO, that's why I wanted to avoid the split and hide method.
    Exactly why I see the point in having a function like this.

Definitely an area where the desires of traditional 2D drafting methods do not always comply with BIM principles in the actual execution within Revit.
    ^^^^ this!!! There are too many to comprehend, haha.

You would draw the squiggle across the pipe from side to side. Align and lock the sides of the pipe squiggle "pipe sides" to the sides of the actual pipe. Then drag the end of the pipe squiggle's "pipe end" down to the end of the actual pipe which is likely to the next fitting. Then hide the real pipe, just leaving a 2D representation of the pipe that includes the pipe squiggle. I removed the unnecessary masking region.
    This really is a great idea. The main and obvious reason why an integrated functioning tool would be better is for associativity, so edits don't fall through the cracks. But very intuitive approach.

You know... "caring is sharing"... haha.

-TZ

Current Local Time

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I do not like adding extraneous fittings that could affect a BOM or QTO, that's why I wanted to avoid the split and hide method. That method instances of couplers that only exist for the sake of "drafting" and this is anti-BIM in my opinion. Definitely an area where the desires of traditional 2D drafting methods do not always comply with BIM principles in the actual execution within Revit.
    Wow, you have much more regard for the contractor that I do! :P That seems like a lot of work. I'd just split the pipe and let his takeoffs be wrong. But then, I'm sure I'd feel differently if I were in a design-build environment.

In my corner of the world, at least for now, the contractor is responsible for building stuff per our printed drawings, not the 3D model. Actually modifying that contractual language would give a whole lot of consulting firms like mine some heartburn. From where I'm sitting, BIM is still very much regarded as a coordination and design tool that produces 2D Contract Documents. There have been times when I've suggested things like "Hey, we can put quantities on these Revit Schedules, or indicate the left hand/right hand state of equipment, etc... to help out the contractor." The answer has always been a firm "No. We're not taking responsibility for that."
    Last edited by Necro99; October 19th, 2015 at 04:16 PM.

Current Local Time

Necro... some of us "are" contractors. Quantity takeoffs matters to guys like us!

-TZ