Thread: Ref. level wall hosted family can't add plan view annotation label

Current Local Time
    11:58 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Ref. level wall hosted family can't add plan view annotation label

Hey people,

I'm kind of new to Revit MEP, and I'm working on creating/updating an electrical family library for my firm.

Most of electrical designs are plan view with symbols rather than 3D or elevation views. I've been having trouble with some Revit Families that are wall hosted. For instance, the Variable Frequency AC drive.rfa in Revit MEP 2016 is a wall hosted family. When you view the floor plan>ref. level (as you normally would to add an annotation family) you actually are seeing an elevation because it is a wall hosted family, and you'd be looking at the wall as a "top view". However, when you view the "back elevation" where the annotation family would need to be seen from on a floor plan (actual top view for wall hosted in model floor plan) Revit won't allow an annotation label to be added.

Does anyone know how to change the ref. level floor plan view to be seen from the ceiling looking down parallel to the wall rather than looking directly (perpendicular) to the wall? or how to allow an annotative family to be viewed here?

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Current Local Time
    02:58 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Cfoote View Post
    Hey people,

I'm kind of new to Revit MEP, and I'm working on creating/updating an electrical family library for my firm.

Most of electrical designs are plan view with symbols rather than 3D or elevation views. I've been having trouble with some Revit Families that are wall hosted. For instance, the Variable Frequency AC drive.rfa in Revit MEP 2016 is a wall hosted family. When you view the floor plan>ref. level (as you normally would to add an annotation family) you actually are seeing an elevation because it is a wall hosted family, and you'd be looking at the wall as a "top view". However, when you view the "back elevation" where the annotation family would need to be seen from on a floor plan (actual top view for wall hosted in model floor plan) Revit won't allow an annotation label to be added.

Does anyone know how to change the ref. level floor plan view to be seen from the ceiling looking down parallel to the wall rather than looking directly (perpendicular) to the wall? or how to allow an annotative family to be viewed here?

Any and all help is much appreciated!
    The symbol needs to be added as a detail item (use a nested family)

Current Local Time
    09:58 AM

most electrical fixture/devices family have "Maintain Annotation" check box, if you use nested generic annotation then it's going to be displayed in plan/ceiling view anyway, display "size" will change according to view scale.

use detail item only if it's for real world size symbol, like lighting fixture, etc.