Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Model Maintenance

Current Local Time
    02:24 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    One other thing I like to do is take a swing through the Families in the Project Browser for In-Place families
    If you start seeing multiple-multiple families by the same name, that means they've made an In-Place family and copied it all over and that deserves a beat-down.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InPlace.PNG 
Views:	30 
Size:	7.6 KB 
ID:	26409
    If I see something like Reception Desk 1, I might let them get away with it if there's only one. But any time you need more than a one-off, In-Place families are NEVER a good idea.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by thetragicjoy View Post
    "Standards" is a dirty word around here,
    How about instead of using the term "guideline", you start replacing "Standards" with "money-saving practices".
    Our policy here is that project managers are welcome to deviate from any standards they want.
    Right after we tell them how much it's going to cost their project to do so.

Current Local Time
    12:24 AM

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    How about instead of using the term "guideline", you start replacing "Standards" with "money-saving practices".
    Our policy here is that project managers are welcome to deviate from any standards they want.
    Right after we tell them how much it's going to cost their project to do so.
    So long as designers are willing, and eager it seems, to work gobs of overtime, it's a harder sell than it should be. It's not "really" money out of their pockets (the owners I mean) so long as the team meets the deadline. And since we're so bad at tracking data (on to the next project!) and so good at making excuses (well, you see, on this project Mercury was in retrograde so, you know) it's just as hard to prove it on the back end.

The problem is architects running a practice. We need more business people practicing architecture.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Ouch! That's rough! You must have worked places where you were the MAN.

Most places I've worked, so far, consider the PM/PA/PD to be all knowing. If they think it's right for their project (even if it can be shown empirically that it may not be) they not only can, but are encouraged, to do it. I don't like it but if/when I try and throw what weight I do have around I become everyone's least favorite person. Then I get nowhere.

Glad it works for you. I'm sure your models are bullet-proof and your firms have made more profit as a result. Maybe, with time and patience, I can convince the PTB to get more serious about standards.
    Oh i wasnt the man. Oh, and it didnt make me popular, by any stretch. And there are a few "Project Managers" (in quotes because im not sure they were doing a very good job managing) that i had to go toe to toe with, and it got ugly a few times. It even cost me a few opportunities to join firmwide *Leadership.* Obviously im also running my own venture now, so there is a lot that can be said there about whether or not i "play well with others," LOL. What i can tell you is anyone that was looking after their companies best interests, couldnt tell you that i wanted something my way JUST because it was my way, but that there was a reason my way was better. And when my way has proven NOT to be better? Ive not only shut up, ive advertised i was wrong, and promoted "the other way." But all i can say about that, is what ive learned in the last 12 months:

Peoples egos/feelings/pride/attitudes (mine included) have to get checked at the door, when we are talking about whats best for a project. It was MANY years before management finally sided with me on the rounding dimensions, and the faking things. And until they sided with me, i couldnt just charge in and fire away. And even when management had my back, it didnt mean i was popular with the PM's. But, after MANY years, the STAFF knew i was acting in their best inrerests. So there was at least that.

Ultimately, i wouldnt change a thing about how i treated those particular issues. I wasnt kidding about what i said about resources: Time is finite, and as support staff, ALL OF US are stretched too thin, and work too many hours. If a project team wants to turn their lot in to **** with rounded dimensions and drafting view wall sections, i respect their right to do it... As long as they respect my right to not get involved in their project in any way, shape, or form.

That (believe it or not) is my compromise, over my former-more-drastic behavior of force fixing it, and making them do it right.

If the PTB arent serious about standards, i dont know how someone (whos role it is to create efficient workflows based on standards) is ever set up to succeed.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    If the PTB arent serious about standards, i dont know how someone (whos role it is to create efficient workflows based on standards) is ever set up to succeed.
    Baby steps my friend. I first need to convice them that standards will not only make for a better builidng (most people's number one priority it seems), but also get them home sooner, and put more money in their pocket! I know it's true and can even show the math behind it but, not to get too politcial, there are a lot of people you can show proof to that refuse to see it if it differs from their worldview (myself included on some issues I'm sure).

Sounds lik you built up that trust over several years. Hopefully I can do the same/simliar.

Current Local Time

Interesting discussion

Model management is always a sensitive topic. Unfortunately most people don't care much until it goes sour. So my goal is simple, i just try to prevent it. I don't have a schedule to open projects and go file by file. Actually it would be impossible (17 projects in Paris and the smallest one is 7 000 m2 (75 000 sf for my US friends)) to even put together such a schedule and... i would get bored to death.

But i have a few tools that i use to clean up (actually have my own clean up tool to remove A LOT of stuff when needed) and i've started to use Dynamo so i can make the user even more responsible. Because the key is users for me. We have a pretty extensive turnaround so by the time people starts being good and understand... they leave. Make my job a lot easier of course .... so i've been looking into tools (Dynamo) to give the users on feedback they might not see at first. Number of InPlace families for example, is always a good indicator if someone is messing around and very hard to track visually)

Archive i don't care much since our system is pretty rock solid. Revit Server's backup are available live for the last 3 days and the rest is on the backup system, easily accessible.

Family modelling is always an issue, and that's where the more experienced users comes in. I just wish i had more of those...

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

I have great respect for Project Managers, it is damn near impossible to be a good one at times. That written, Revit has many good qualities but it will NEVER fix a project that has a bad one.

Current Local Time
    03:24 PM

One of my BIGGEST issues is with users who blindly "duplicate" system families (walls, floors etc) and change the structural thickness, give it some random name (which doesn't even come close to the families already in the project which are named correctly and follow the companies standards) and don't check the the contained information and update it!!

I was helping in a project the other day and discovered a wall which was:
    Modelled at 200mm wide, with metal stud material.
    Named 100mm wall bla bla
    Description was 90mm CORE FILLED BLOCKWORK
    The assembly code was Ext CMU Wall

Now, we use our files for quantities and I had a very confused QS on the other end of the phone saying WTF is this wall?
    This is the stuff I find important to check THE DATA has to be correct in the elements.

We do care about in place families as our quant software doesn't like them, so they need to be loadable families.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    File organization, warnings, dimensional rounding that will screw a project team during CA, and so on.

Opening 30 files every week, to validate worksets, and click Audit and Save As- when it doesnt do a darn thing- is eating up precious resources (you, you are the resource, and you have limited time to make an effect) on non-value-adding activities.

I agree with model reviewing. Clean up the warnings, or yell at the team. Clean up the Dimension Styles, and get motoring. No need for the other stuff.
    Our plan of action is for each team to have a BIM "Coordinator" (a group made up of our more advanced users), and that they would perform this weekly / monthly maintenance review, not the BIM Manager, definitely not what we need to be spending our time on. More for them to keep the project running smoothly and if they don't, well, then when we step in to troubleshoot, we know who DIDN'T do those things, don't we?

I guess it's also a question then of -how- do you start to enforce these standards and know people are trained properly? We're still grappling with that one.

As a little bit if background, myself and another employee have been working full time since the second week of January on building our standards, template, family library. Starting in May, we both go half time BIM Management / half time architecture staff (because in reality we both want to be architects, not BIM managers).

So, we're hoping to help with this time split we can distribute some of these tasks to BIM Coordinators / project leads. But we also have to train the whole office which is daunting.

The office has been putzing in Revit for about 7 years, but mostly as a drafting tool (they still don't want to do Door Schedules and even some, Drawing Lists in Revit). So really getting people to adopt and follow standard protocols is going to be key, too.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    Baby steps my friend. I first need to convice them that standards will not only make for a better builidng (most people's number one priority it seems), but also get them home sooner, and put more money in their pocket!
    I'm amazed at how resistant people are to "standards", really. My office is definitely more business savvy than some, and sometimes I think their push against "standards" is just them wanting to make sure they remain "important" with their own ideas/ways of doing things.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielHurtubise View Post
    Interesting discussion

Archive i don't care much since our system is pretty rock solid. Revit Server's backup are available live for the last 3 days and the rest is on the backup system, easily accessible.

Family modelling is always an issue, and that's where the more experienced users comes in. I just wish i had more of those...
    We have a problem in general with being digital packrats, so it's more of archiving it off our main project servers to a storage server, I guess.

We have a few more advanced users for family modeling... But always more training to do! We also have seen a good bit of turnover. Our office as a whole is pretty unbalanced / top heavy, which makes it unattractive to younger more tech savvy staff, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    One of my BIGGEST issues is with users who blindly "duplicate" system families (walls, floors etc) and change the structural thickness, give it some random name (which doesn't even come close to the families already in the project which are named correctly and follow the companies standards) and don't check the the contained information and update it!!
    Thankfully most of our PMs are pretty on top of things like wall types, etc. (-MOST-). And we're trying to really ingrain people with, if you don't have it, ASK US FIRST. I said this today, "ASK US. Don't go to Revit City... We will find it or help you build it" which wasn't taken very well, haha.

"But I have a subscription to Revit City!"

It's definitely a process.. and we're trying to baby steps. (HOPEFULLY) Highly effective baby steps..
    Last edited by thetragicjoy; April 21st, 2016 at 03:16 PM.