Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Model Maintenance

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    November 11, 2013
    Posts
    212
    Current Local Time
    06:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    This is the list I've cobbled together thus far:
    WEEKLY:
    · Manage Links (check for lost links or links from workstations)
    · Check the Project Browser for unsorted ("???") views and standard view organization
    · Evaluate groups and verify none have 0-1 instances.
    · Review families within model for standard file naming / accuracy
    · Check Filters and View Templates for use and naming conventions
    · Inspect Worksets for cleanliness and correct as necessary
    · Review Warnings
    · Remove unused views, sections, and reference planes
    · Clean out Revit Project Folder of any non-Revit related files
    · Check for CAD files placed on multiple views and remove as necessary
    · Revise Copy/Monitor items from Linked Models
    · Check standard drafting items for user edits and correct as necessary
    · Evaluate any in-place families for redundancies
    MONTHLY :
    · Audit and compact the model
    · Manual Purge to remove all unused groups, CAD files, etc.
    · Archive old Revit models as needed and record in the Model Log
    · Delete local files and replace with a new local file (each user)
    · (optional) Create a fresh Central file and Archive the existing file

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    July 4, 2013
    Posts
    179
    Current Local Time
    04:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post

    2. Dimensional Rounding. If i found any dim styles that were set to be rounded, or if the project units were on anything other than 1/256", i changed them all back, and checked out the worksets for both and didnt relinquish. Then i emailed the team, and firm management.

    4. Faked anything. Model parts hidden and redrafted, wall sections as drafting views, text covering up dimensions, "no text dimensions," "overridden dimensions" (except for obvious stuff like writing VERIFY IN FIELD, or MAX SIZE" or something. All of these (in my humble opinion) are grounds for immediate dismissal. I dont know why more firms dont take it seriously, but ive seen some firms whos drawings are garbage quality, and- even though they dont agree on the cause- i can point to *faking stuff* as a very real cause. Ive got no time for that. Whenever i saw that (i would check when i was in projects doing repairs, troubleshooting, or maintenance), i would immediately notify that firms QC and management groups, and also basically just go ballistic on the staff. And i hold my head up high about every time i did it.
    This is the difference between creating a pretty conceptual drawing on paper, or using a computer to figure out how the building is actually put together. Unfortunately, most architects are in the business of the former.
    Last edited by Revitaoist; April 21st, 2016 at 04:07 PM.

  3. #23
    Forum Addict sdbrownaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20, 2010
    Posts
    1,138
    Current Local Time
    07:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I'm going to throw this out. I agree whole heartedly about rounding dimensions. However there is a place for them. I am curious if anyone has found a safe way to do them. For instance, during programing phase or conceptual design, when you have not yet "cleaned up your model" in terms of wall types, etc. but you need to give the owner a plan that shows their office sizes. I'm ok with a rounded dimension that shows the office is 10' x 12' instead of 10'-0 5/8" or whatever the truth is. So what I've done in the past is create a "presentation" dimension style. Its only to be used on certain types of deliverables. However there is the fear that someone could mistakenly use this dim type somewhere else in the project. So I could make it bold or dark blue or something to graphically indicate that its a rounded/presentation dimension and then the team would know it if they accidentally used it. Thoughts?

  4. #24
    Forum Addict Charles Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6, 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    1,015
    Current Local Time
    02:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Some over the road trucks have what is nicknamed a, 'Tattle Tale' connected to them to provide feedback to the owner in real time of the trucks condition, speed, arrival time and departure time etc. Wouldn't it be cool to have this capability in Revit directly connected to a pink slip or a pay raise?...LOL

  5. #25
    Moderator
    "I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Dave Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, California USA
    Posts
    4,574
    Current Local Time
    04:08 PM

    1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Karl View Post
    Some over the road trucks have what is nicknamed a, 'Tattle Tale' connected to them to provide feedback to the owner in real time of the trucks condition, speed, arrival time and departure time etc. Wouldn't it be cool to have this capability in Revit directly connected to a pink slip or a pay raise?...LOL

    In my office that add in is called Wife

  6. #26
    Moderator cellophane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 9, 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    6,387
    Current Local Time
    07:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrownaia View Post
    I'm going to throw this out. I agree whole heartedly about rounding dimensions. However there is a place for them. I am curious if anyone has found a safe way to do them. For instance, during programing phase or conceptual design, when you have not yet "cleaned up your model" in terms of wall types, etc. but you need to give the owner a plan that shows their office sizes. I'm ok with a rounded dimension that shows the office is 10' x 12' instead of 10'-0 5/8" or whatever the truth is. So what I've done in the past is create a "presentation" dimension style. Its only to be used on certain types of deliverables. However there is the fear that someone could mistakenly use this dim type somewhere else in the project. So I could make it bold or dark blue or something to graphically indicate that its a rounded/presentation dimension and then the team would know it if they accidentally used it. Thoughts?
    I have some like that and have them set to a dark color and it works OK.

    The only other time I'm really OK with rounding dimensions if for site dimensions. Property lines are always janky dimensions and for our purposes rounding to a 1/2" is fine.

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    November 11, 2013
    Posts
    212
    Current Local Time
    06:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrownaia View Post
    I'm going to throw this out. I agree whole heartedly about rounding dimensions. However there is a place for them. I am curious if anyone has found a safe way to do them. For instance, during programing phase or conceptual design, when you have not yet "cleaned up your model" in terms of wall types, etc. but you need to give the owner a plan that shows their office sizes. I'm ok with a rounded dimension that shows the office is 10' x 12' instead of 10'-0 5/8" or whatever the truth is. So what I've done in the past is create a "presentation" dimension style. Its only to be used on certain types of deliverables. However there is the fear that someone could mistakenly use this dim type somewhere else in the project. So I could make it bold or dark blue or something to graphically indicate that its a rounded/presentation dimension and then the team would know it if they accidentally used it. Thoughts?
    I've actually been dealing with some of this as of late. We have some PMs who are very adament (and one principal who's very passionate about proper dimensioning techniques also in on it) that we should never show anything, ever, smaller than 1/16".

    Fine. I get that. Buuuuuut... it still matters. Then the camp splits into: "Just round it to 1/16!" and, "If it's not a clean dimension, move it!"

    Compromise: 3 dim styles:
    Grid style is 1/256". All grids should be that accurate, period. If they aren't, you need to fix it. Plus we show grids with a dot, not a tick.
    TickMark is 1/16". Sometimes things we dimension just can't be clean dimensions (or so they say....)
    Working is 1/256" and in RED BOLD FONT. So you know what it is and that it shouldn't be used on documentations drawings for dimensioning.

    I think the color works well. I say either make it a specific color or very stylistically different so they know. You could do a filter for just the presentation drawings that makes it print black on those views but red/blue everywhere else?

    We don't do a lot of schematic stuff in Revit yet, so not an issue... yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Karl View Post
    Some over the road trucks have what is nicknamed a, 'Tattle Tale' connected to them to provide feedback to the owner in real time of the trucks condition, speed, arrival time and departure time etc. Wouldn't it be cool to have this capability in Revit directly connected to a pink slip or a pay raise?...LOL
    Hahah... couldn't we use workset monitoring for that? Sounds nice sometimes but I know some people who fixate too much on "who did this wrong" instead of "what do we do to fix it" so, while I wish for this sometimes, too, I'm okay without it (Again going back to people deleting grids.......)

  8. #28
    Forum Addict Charles Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6, 2011
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    1,015
    Current Local Time
    02:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by thetragicjoy View Post
    I've actually been dealing with some of this as of late. We have some PMs who are very adament (and one principal who's very passionate about proper dimensioning techniques also in on it) that we should never show anything, ever, smaller than 1/16".

    Fine. I get that. Buuuuuut... it still matters. Then the camp splits into: "Just round it to 1/16!" and, "If it's not a clean dimension, move it!"

    Compromise: 3 dim styles:
    Grid style is 1/256". All grids should be that accurate, period. If they aren't, you need to fix it. Plus we show grids with a dot, not a tick.
    TickMark is 1/16". Sometimes things we dimension just can't be clean dimensions (or so they say....)
    Working is 1/256" and in RED BOLD FONT. So you know what it is and that it shouldn't be used on documentations drawings for dimensioning.

    I think the color works well. I say either make it a specific color or very stylistically different so they know. You could do a filter for just the presentation drawings that makes it print black on those views but red/blue everywhere else?

    We don't do a lot of schematic stuff in Revit yet, so not an issue... yet.


    Hahah... couldn't we use workset monitoring for that? Sounds nice sometimes but I know some people who fixate too much on "who did this wrong" instead of "what do we do to fix it" so, while I wish for this sometimes, too, I'm okay without it (Again going back to people deleting grids.......)
    Understood, and I agree,...Luckily we don't have any issues where a pink slip is required,...

  9. #29
    Administrator Twiceroadsfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7, 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    11,150
    Current Local Time
    06:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrownaia View Post
    I'm going to throw this out. I agree whole heartedly about rounding dimensions. However there is a place for them. I am curious if anyone has found a safe way to do them. For instance, during programing phase or conceptual design, when you have not yet "cleaned up your model" in terms of wall types, etc. but you need to give the owner a plan that shows their office sizes. I'm ok with a rounded dimension that shows the office is 10' x 12' instead of 10'-0 5/8" or whatever the truth is. So what I've done in the past is create a "presentation" dimension style. Its only to be used on certain types of deliverables. However there is the fear that someone could mistakenly use this dim type somewhere else in the project. So I could make it bold or dark blue or something to graphically indicate that its a rounded/presentation dimension and then the team would know it if they accidentally used it. Thoughts?
    I think its a terrible idea. But you knew that already. =)

    I dont agree there is a place for them, at all. I dont believe you *need* them in Design, or on *pretty drawings.* Hell, i dont believe you need them on property lines either (i use a dimension style that shows decimal feet, so it matches the property line description on the survey). I think people decide what they *need* based on what they *want* and things like rounded dimensions are the result.

    Ive actually had a client get irritated at differences in dimensions in design and in documentation. It was an isolated thing, and im sure it wouldnt happen again, but whats so bad about a client seeing a room that is the actual size?

    BTW, this isnt a "revit thing" either. All of the projects i did in AutoCAD back in the day, we had Dimension Styles, and none of those were "rounded" either.

  10. #30
    Forum Addict sdbrownaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20, 2010
    Posts
    1,138
    Current Local Time
    07:08 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I think its a terrible idea. But you knew that already. =)

    Ofcourse I did After working with you I'm never even sure if I agree with myself. I ask myself, now what would Aaron think about this?

    There is nothing wrong with the client seeing the actual size of his room. The deal is at concept/SD you don't know exactly what size it will end up so you aren't faking anything, you are conveying intent. Its just going to be 12+/- x 10+/-. So that would be the best option in my opinion is a rounding with automatic suffix. As soon as I have real walls that I believe in I agree completely no need for rounding.

Similar Threads

  1. Model maintenance during construction
    By Knitro87 in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 23rd, 2015, 07:53 PM
  2. Alive in the Lab: Labs Will Be Down for Maintenance Tonight
    By Alive in the Lab in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: June 30th, 2014, 10:45 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2011, 02:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •