Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Model Maintenance

Current Local Time
    07:18 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyus View Post
    I don't know if it's an Imperial thing, but I've never had to (or seen) dimensions being rounded here. If a dimension is 3541mm, no-one seems to care.
    However, if I really felt like wasting time, I'd adjust the model elements so that the dimensions round, not round the dimensions. I don't see the point in being any less accurate.
    Imperial measurements are stupid

Current Local Time
    06:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by cellophane View Post
    Imperial measurements are stupid
    Imperial is SO stupid.

Current Local Time
    04:18 PM

Let's Make America Great Again by switching to metric! lol

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    ... there are a few things i would do any time a project team asked me to get in their files to help with something:

1. View naming standards. I had a project team once ask me to get in their massive hospital model, to help "fix some stuff." After an hour in there, i couldnt find a damn thing. This was lunacy, since we had firmwide naming standards from the minute i worked there. I told the project team i wanted every view renamed according to standards, immediately. They said they wouldnt take the time to do it, so i told them i wouldnt work on their project, to troubleshoot the issue. I dont have time for that nonsense. If there is a standard, you use it. If you dont LIKE the standard, you follow the proper procedure to make your voice heard (while still following the standard), or you march your ass to the door.

2. Dimensional Rounding. If i found any dim styles that were set to be rounded, or if the project units were on anything other than 1/256", i changed them all back, and checked out the worksets for both and didnt relinquish. Then i emailed the team, and firm management.

3. Worksets as Visibility Control. Es no bueno, if im in the picture. If its that way when i opened a file, i undid it. Here, the few folks i work with know not to do it. Ever.

4. Faked anything. Model parts hidden and redrafted, wall sections as drafting views, text covering up dimensions, "no text dimensions," "overridden dimensions" (except for obvious stuff like writing VERIFY IN FIELD, or MAX SIZE" or something. All of these (in my humble opinion) are grounds for immediate dismissal. I dont know why more firms dont take it seriously, but ive seen some firms whos drawings are garbage quality, and- even though they dont agree on the cause- i can point to *faking stuff* as a very real cause. Ive got no time for that. Whenever i saw that (i would check when i was in projects doing repairs, troubleshooting, or maintenance), i would immediately notify that firms QC and management groups, and also basically just go ballistic on the staff. And i hold my head up high about every time i did it.

5. Addins that shouldnt be installed. Easy enough to track, especially now that i manage all of the computers. But in previous offices, when i found them, i would alert IT and have them forcibly removed. A lot of folks dont understand the repurcussions, and what kind of testing REALLY should go on before apps get deployed, and id see "some person" install "some thing" they got from "some site" because "someone suggested it," and it makes my blood boil. 6 months down the road, a project file is trashed because some clown developer is trying to shove marketing data in to a piece of content that gets shoved in to our models somehow. no thanks.

Honestly, i think the *clean this and check that* of the RVT files themselves, is overrated. I check my files WHEN something starts to misbehave, but i think people do it trying to squeak every last bit of performance out of underperforming files, when they are performing poorly because of other decisions that might not make sense. Certainly, a lot of the things i do are seen as conventional, but... My models get a lot of detail, get very big, and manage to run like champs. So i keep rolling with it. And i bank all the time people spend doing this stuff, and i do more stuff. Like rant on RFO.
    I love this post so much I want to marry it.

My firm is so horrible in regards to "faking it" that I can't stand it. And their "standard" is to round dimensions. Sometimes to 1/2"!!!!!!!

I'm new to this firm, and the firm is relatively new to Revit. I'm already showing them that what they've done with drafting elements CAN be done with model elements, and some people are starting to listen. As for the dimensioning thing, I'm surprised how many people here don't understand the concept of accumulated tolerances! I'm close to a break through, I think ... if I can't get through by the 1 year mark, I'm out the door.
    Last edited by johnmc73; April 22nd, 2016 at 04:47 PM.

Current Local Time
    06:18 PM

Quote Originally Posted by johnmc73 View Post
    I love this post so much I want to marry it.

My firm is so horrible in regards to "faking it" that I can't stand it. And their "standard" is to round dimensions. Sometimes to 1/2"!!!!!!!

I'm new to this firm, and the firm is relatively new to Revit. I'm already showing them that what they've done with drafting elements CAN be done with model elements, and some people are starting to listen. As for the dimensioning thing, I'm surprised how many people here don't understand the concept of accumulated tolerances! I'm close to a break through, I think ... if I can't get through by the 1 year mark, I'm out the door.
    I've been at my firm >2 years (and it's my first job out of school). At about the one year mark I really started digging into the fact that they're inefficient at Revit, and by the year and a half mark had prepared a business plan, and been given a role of BIM manager for the office. With that, for us, has also become a general house keeping / re-evaluation of standards, etc.

Honestly, it's been an amazing experience and almost unbelievable opportunity for me as someone who's well, vastly underqualified/inexperienced to have such an important role in a firm of almost 100 employees. I was vocal about what I thought needed done / why, and they had also seen the need, and I took it and ran with it.

If it's something you feel strongly about and that it's worth your time/the opportunity to put your own investment into the company, see if it's worth the effort - and talk to the right people, of course.
    Last edited by thetragicjoy; April 22nd, 2016 at 05:22 PM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by thetragicjoy View Post
    If it's something you feel strongly about and that it's worth your time/the opportunity to put your own investment into the company, see if it's worth the effort - and talk to the right people, of course.
    Honestly, some of the comments in this thread have given me a renewed hope that this CAN be done. I read this one particularly, which NAILS my firm pretty spot on:

Quote Originally Posted by Revitaoist View Post
    This is the difference between creating a pretty conceptual drawing on paper, or using a computer to figure out how the building is actually put together. Unfortunately, most architects are in the business of the former.
    I've been steadily pointing out some significant errors in a lot of our projects. Mostly because they would be "in a hurry" and hide the model elements and draft on top. That one view looks great, but they wouldn't be able to figure out why other views weren't matching.

Unfortunately, I've been being assigned to projects that were put on hold and resurrected around 75% CD, so it's too far down the road to do any significant changes. The mantra is "it is what it is" But I've been assured that I'll be on a project from the ground up soon. When that one gets going, I'll be able to show them how much easier the project goes and how much time is saved. Fingers crossed!

Current Local Time

for general Model Maintenance tasks, anyone used plug-ins? which one is recommended?
    1) Autodesk Model Review, this is the one which can be further customized, isn't it? i do recall the AU2011 class (CP5880 Writing Your First Autodesk Revit Model Review Review Plug-In) by Robert Bell
    2) Autodesk Model Checker, this one really confuse me, is it the same as above? if not then what's the difference? better than Model Review?
    3) Solibri Model Checker, anyone used it for Revit model? is it better than Autodesk ones?

8.    #48
    Current Local Time
    08:18 AM

this is a good thread that should be revamped at 2020 state of the art. I am actually collecting Dynamo definitions for this or that aspect but I have nothing that works with LOD checkings and compliances.