Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27

Thread: How to model Barbed wire for fencing

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    August 20, 2011
    Location
    VARANASI
    Posts
    129
    Current Local Time
    04:11 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!

    How to model Barbed wire for fencing

    I need to place multy row of barbed wire fencing on top of boundry wall. Can barbed wire be model through line based family. plane wire can be model but how to make spikes at certain intervals on the wire.
    Can i get barbed wire family from any site or user ?

    LJU

  2. #2
    Member duende123's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20, 2015
    Posts
    186
    Current Local Time
    11:11 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    models the spike in a family
    load it in the family line based of barbed wire
    make an array with spike family
    apply parameter to number of element of array
    apply parameter to the number of element of array
    apply this formula to this parameter

    Lenght / <distance between spike>

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    August 20, 2011
    Location
    VARANASI
    Posts
    129
    Current Local Time
    04:11 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I have modelled a line based plain wire family with variable radi, but facing problem in making spike family. The line base family will run horizontally, as there is no scope to give angle param to Ref line of line family.

    LJU

  4. #4
    Member Barth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2013
    Posts
    301
    Current Local Time
    09:11 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by lallanji View Post
    I have modelled a line based plain wire family with variable radi, but facing problem in making spike family. The line base family will run horizontally, as there is no scope to give angle param to Ref line of line family.

    LJU
    Instead of using a line based, consider an adaptive component family; you can repeat your barbs along divided lines between 2 adaptive points. This would allow you to place those APs (perhaps the Posts) at any angle in relationship to each - with the barbed wire stretching between them.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 19, 2011
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    508
    Current Local Time
    11:11 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barth View Post
    Instead of using a line based, consider an adaptive component family; you can repeat your barbs along divided lines between 2 adaptive points. This would allow you to place those APs (perhaps the Posts) at any angle in relationship to each - with the barbed wire stretching between them.
    That would be too heavy, considering there are often hundreds of feet of the stuff.

    It's easy enough to do by modeling a single full rotation and then arraying along the line. This family I found follows the general method I would use, but would add parameters to control the diameter of the coil and potentially swept blends instead of multiple sweeps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    Member Barth's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 2, 2013
    Posts
    301
    Current Local Time
    09:11 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew K View Post
    That would be too heavy, considering there are often hundreds of feet of the stuff.

    It's easy enough to do by modeling a single full rotation and then arraying along the line. This family I found follows the general method I would use, but would add parameters to control the diameter of the coil and potentially swept blends instead of multiple sweeps.
    Thank you for your feedback Andrew. Could you tell you what you mean by “too heavy”.

    The Razor Wire family you posted needs a little more work to replicate the behavior of a line-based family: like being hosted to a Ref. Line and having Instance Parameters so you can drag its length and direction on placement in the project. Probably the easiest way to fix it, would be to nest it in a Line-Based family and associate it’s parameters to the host. Still, I think building this family as an adaptive component family would work better and easier overall. It would take a few hours of work though to find out for sure though. So, right now, it’s just an opinion.
    Last edited by Barth; September 16th, 2016 at 11:57 PM.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    August 20, 2011
    Location
    VARANASI
    Posts
    129
    Current Local Time
    04:11 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Im talking about straight run barbed wire (not about coiled razor wire) these are made by twisting 2 or more thin wires (like rope) & spikes at regular intervals. How to twist 2 or more wires to form a rope & modelling & placing spikes (not razor).

    LJU

  8. #8
    Moderator snowyweston's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 21, 2010
    Location
    C.LONDON
    Posts
    4,426
    Current Local Time
    04:11 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last week you wanted a quick lazy way to simply model a columned wall and yet this week you're concerned enough to want to model barbed wire to point you've entertained adaptive components? A little odd. A railing should suit just fine.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    August 20, 2011
    Location
    VARANASI
    Posts
    129
    Current Local Time
    04:11 PM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    This time I concern for Fence on top of that wall with angle iron posts in Y shape at regular interval to support 9 rows of straight barbed wire.

    LJU

  10. #10
    Member duende123's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20, 2015
    Posts
    186
    Current Local Time
    11:11 AM

    Not allowed! Not allowed!
    lallanji,
    that level of detail should have?
    Maybe you should upload an image

Similar Threads

  1. Wire Sizes
    By dzatto in forum MEP - General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 19th, 2014, 08:59 PM
  2. Wire sizing problem
    By Lauft in forum MEP - General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: March 10th, 2014, 04:08 PM
  3. Do U Revit: Wire End Woes
    By Do U Revit in forum Blog Feeds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 23rd, 2013, 06:15 PM
  4. Fencing up a topographic surface
    By Wadeshuey in forum Architecture and General Revit Questions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: March 12th, 2011, 07:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •