Thread: nested shared families affect performance, but how exactly?

Current Local Time
    01:02 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

nested shared families affect performance, but how exactly?

Nested components are practical, but managing them in different host families is a pain in the***. Making them shared solves that problem, after reworking the constraints in the host family. However, the more of these shared and nested components I add, the more time revit needs to process a change in the parameters of the host family in all the nested shared components (my hardware is fairly up to date, for a desktop anyway).

Now, has anyone worked out what causes the most 'drag' when nesting shared components? Because I do like the workflow improvements, just not the delay when making a change. This seems the first case in my experience where automating a task slows me down in stead of speeding things up.

I first noticed the problem when I started using the following setup: a shared component for my door swing, nested that door swing in all my shared door leaf families, nested those in my door families with a family/type parameter to be able to exchange the door leaf families within the project environment.

There are probably more ways to set this up, but before I dive in and rework my door families AGAIN, I would like to know which approach has served others best to achieve a similar workflow.

Current Local Time
    11:02 AM

I see the ever so slight drop in performance as a necessary evil when considered against the improvements in coordinated information & control.

As with most things in Revit, the advantages of what's going on "behind the scenes", across the entire model & database, far outweigh the desires of speedfreak operators and their want for responsive immediacy to their editing. Think the Tortoise & the Hare.

I think where it can become an issue is when/where you go "too deep" into your LOD - it's a joy to have super-shared families (not super-families) but if in the end you're not really exploiting the functionality of multi-layered shared components in your documentation (tags, schedules & filters say) then maybe it's not worth it. Sure, those needs can differ from job to job, but then you certainly don't want to split your libraries by LOD. Better to have and not need...

I guess.

Current Local Time

If you are super sure that your swing design is in a final stage, make it a template and build any other leaf directly in this template. Because you know the speed decrease in this direction "non nested geometry"-->"nested+nonshared"-->"nested+shared". Indeed the bigger files for non shared things make your project bigger in size but this is not affected the overall speed if you have enough RAM memory .So make compromises where you think it`s worth if you don`t like lags.

On the other hand, the way the hardware evolve, and even the speed increasing behind every version in Revit, i think it is not worth to make compromises. I prefer to bet on the future flexibility (thinking better multicore support). So this is my approach now. Almost everything you want scheduled or at least reused, i prefer to be shared.

I think this is a normal thing. It`s a known fact that C and C++ language programs are in the same relations. C is faster when compiled if your way of programing is linear(so is more unflexible to changes),compared with C++ way of programing object oriented (by reusing the same classes in more parts of your program)(i`m thinking of a nested family like a class already defined that you can invoke every time you need it. You modify a class once and you and you alter a lot of your code behavior in one step).

p.s. for the coders there: i know the C can be use as an oriented object language too (using structures that are in fact classes). anyway i`m not a coder but i`ve wanted to try some time ago and i found that kind of things interesting

Current Local Time

Tnx for the input. I agree, a slight lag is acceptable, but i'm talking minutes here. I need to figure out what functionality to drop, and what to maintain. Have a look of you're interested.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Current Local Time

So i`ve made a new project and i`ve put 1001 doors of yours. (5 long arrayed walls, every wall have 200 arrayed doors.) Then one more door in a separated wall. So if i minimize the rough Width from 1034 to 1000mm it takes 45sec. If I change the family type parameter "deur type" from "30 OCK deur stomp clak shared type 1" to "....type 2" takes another cca 45 seconds.

If i delete the 1000 arrayed doors and use just 1 the same changes takes cca 0.5 sec.

I think is a resonable thing for 1001 doors to take 45 secs/parameter when updating. Anyway i suppose the rest of the geometry can slow down more than that. Can you confirm? Because it will be nice this process to not be affected by the presence of the other elements.

(4 years old processor here Q6600 @ 3.5ghz)
    Last edited by gaby424; August 17th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.

Current Local Time

you're right, I got the same results. the lag was probably caused by a complex folding door leaf family. TNX!