Thread: Design Options - first time

Current Local Time
    03:36 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Design Options - first time

I've been using Revit for many, many years. But, believe it or not, this will be the first time I've needed to use Design Options. I'm Structural, but I believe my questions are general enough to post here in the Arch and General subforum.

Outside Architect. So the Architectural model is linked to my Structural model.

We're looking at an exterior canopy. I've already modeled one canopy (hanging tube frame with rods back to the exterior wall.)
    Now I've learned that the Architect has used Design Options to model a larger canopy with supporting columns.

How do I match the Architect's D.O.? Is there an easy way to match, or copy/monitor? (I see he has some other D.O.s that may or may not be related to the canopy... I may, at some point need structure for those also.)
    How do I move the originally designed canopy to it's own D.O. so it won't show in the "Enlarged" D.O.?
    How do i go about annotating the separate D.O.s?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but this will get me started.

Current Local Time
    02:36 PM

Quote Originally Posted by LeanneZ View Post
    How do I match the Architect's D.O.? Is there an easy way to match, or copy/monitor? (I see he has some other D.O.s that may or may not be related to the canopy... I may, at some point need structure for those also.)
    When a design option set is created, a new tab will appear in the visibility graphic overrides dialog. Create new views, and then assign a specific design option to those views (both host model and linked model). Copy/Monitor will still work in design options, but only for elements that can be monitored (columns, openings, floors, etc.)

How do I move the originally designed canopy to it's own D.O. so it won't show in the "Enlarged" D.O.?
    After a design option set is created, multiple (secondary) design options can then be added to a single set. For example, a Design Option Set can be named "Exterior Canopy". The first option in that set would be "No Canopy", and the second option in that set would be "Canopy". After the options have been created, selected the affected elements from the main model, and in the Design Options tool under the Manage Tab, the elements can be added to an option.

How do i go about annotating the separate D.O.s?
    Annotations can be added to the new views that were created specifically to show the design options (see first response).

Additional Resources
    Last edited by Knitro87; May 5th, 2017 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Spelling

Current Local Time

Next Question regarding Design Options:

In the "Main Model" I have a wall with a footing along the edge of the patio (see attached.) The Design Option for an extended canopy required columns and column footings. The Main Model wall footing is at -5'-0" and the new column footings are also at -5'-0". How can I trim out the footings?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170510_DesignOptions_TrimFootings.JPG  

Current Local Time
    02:36 PM

This is where Design Options can become a little cumbersome. If any surrounding elements interfere with the geometry in the Design Option, it would behoove you to also add those elements to the Set. You can add the entire wall and wall footing to the Design Option set... OR, split the wall (and wall footing) into small segments where they intersect the column footing, and then add those to the set. Once in the set, you can delete/modify the elements as you see fit.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Knitro87 View Post
    This is where Design Options can become a little cumbersome. ...
    Thanks Tony. I want to <like> your post, but I don't really "like" the work that needs to be put into it. LOL!