Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sections & Details: Live vs Drafting

Current Local Time
    10:01 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sections & Details: Live vs Drafting

Hello all. I was wondering how the RFO community creates Sections & Details for their drawings. Do you all tend to create and annotate live sections, or do you typically create drafting views with detail items and what is your reasoning behind it?

Thanks for any input!

Current Local Time
    08:01 PM

I hope that you'll hear a lot of varied opinions on this. It's been a debated topic not only in Revit but also in CAD Drafting and even Hand Drafting!

I tend to "model it how it's built" which lends to allowing most of my sections and details end up being live. This is tough for a lot of typical details like head/jamb/sill details at doors or even typical wall type sections. If I have a team member or project manager insisting that we use sticky back details (ie: drafted) for all of the typical details then I at least compromise that we do a live model view at each location at least once to verify that the condition holds true. We find that if we're not doing live sections and details at this location that being in the practice of verifying the condition using the model helps us see those places where we thought it was a typical condition but it ends up being... not so typical.

I think there's a place for "standard" details in the project and live sections can be tedious to maintain throughout the design phases. If you use live details and sections then I suggest you have standard details or even hand drawn from the project architect/engineer during coordination so that you don't spend too much time readdressing details and sections as the design changes.

For me, it's live whenever you can and standard when it makes sense. Who know, maybe one day all of our details and sections can just look like these:

Current Local Time
    09:01 PM

Live Section Views.

Drafting Views only get used for Standard Detailing items that do not show (and cannot conflict with) live dimensions. For instance, my standard Cabinet sections are drafting views, but the heights of the cabinets and drawers and doors and toe kicks all refer to a live schedule, so there is no conflict.

I actually have been hired to do Model Quality Reviews, for some of my clients. One of the FIRST things i look for is "Sections" that are "Drafting Views." If i find any, i start immediately comparing the model to the drafting views. The moment something is dimensionally out of whack, that model automatically gets a "Rejected/Failed" status.

If you are still using Drafting Views for actual Sections, i would be willing to bet a large amount of money there are quality issues with your models.

Current Local Time

Standard Details = Drafting View
    Project specific sections and details = Live

Quote Originally Posted by rkitect View Post
    I tend to "model it how it's built"...
    Music to my ears. It still amazes me how people can't seem to grasp this concept. And then act surprised when a coordination issue arises because the model doesn't reflect the details.

Current Local Time
    08:01 PM

If you use the "phase before trick" even standard details can be somewhat "live"... just not project live which can be a good thing when CD's tend to mean continue designing Regardless of method, there will need to be review and coordination of the detail.

Current Local Time
    07:01 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    The moment something is dimensionally out of whack, that model automatically gets a "Rejected/Failed" status.
    You're a tough grader!

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by GMcDowellJr View Post
    You're a tough grader!
    Okay. : shrug: it's not that hard to do a project where the wall sections are accurate, Live, and Not faked. I don't understand why anybody would accept anything less than that.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

Current Local Time

When I was drafting by hand (aka in AutoCAD), I would routinely pull apart flashing details in order to see the layers. How do you do this in a live section without hiding the model and placing detail items on top (which would, in my eyes, be about the same as working in a drafting view). Real question... no challenge.

For me, wall sections stand alone with almost no added 2D drafted work... they're just at a smaller scale. 3/4" is a hold over, in my view, from a time when it was a useful/necessary practice to help determine if the building envelope lined up and worked. Presumably, in the model it already does so the section can take on the role of descirbing larger geometry issues, and detail locations rather than being a detail in itself.

I'm all on board wall sections as live... I just haven't been able to get to the same place with details.

Current Local Time

I've been putting wall sections together for over a decade. If I need to show flashing and membrane layers and I want to exaggerate their distances above one another, I will do that off to the side with detail items. I haven't had anything to hide a piece of the model in a number of years.

People tell me "they have to" all the time. What they are really saying is somebody somewhere won't let go of some graphical tradition like exploded details.

I'll do wall sections at 3/4 of an inch that are entirely live, and I'll have section details at inch and a half that are all live. The inch-and-a-half will have some cut profile, and some detail components on top of it. There is no need to move parts of the model to exaggerate. If I then want to show pieces of flashing, and membranes with an overlapping diagram, I'll do that off to the side in a detail or a piece of a detail marked not to scale.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    I'll do wall sections at 3/4 of an inch that are entirely live
    With little to no detail work added? That's a trick.

Pulling the flashing off to the side or in a detail view is certainly worth further study. My sense is that for details like parapets, where it's critical to show how the waterproofing/roofing/etc. overlap, the detail is going to be almost entirely "off to the side" but that's no more work that what I'm doing now and, now that I think on it a bit more, is better since I don't have to hide the model!

I'd be interested in seeing some of your sections/details if you care to share... even better, a portion of the model. I don't think I do this part as well as others in Revit.