Thread: Running Conduit

Current Local Time
    02:22 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Running Conduit

Hello,

I am just getting more into running conduit and wanted to hear if someone found a slick way.
    I figure I would start doing it in 3D but don't know if this isn't the best way.
    Any advice helps.
    Thanks

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    06:22 AM

Simplistic answer, I start with risers at panels and floor penetrations for example. Then I tackle lateral runs to define where they are going to and from. Last I deal with the transitions between those. Those are the most awkward and least fun to deal with when things change. The risers (floor penetrations) are important for coordination early on. The lateral runs help identify obstacles and elevation changes caused by them.

Current Local Time

Awesome. I will try doing it in that order. Are you always running it in 3D views? Or are you doing your risers and penetrations in a section view then switching to a plan view to run it throughout the building?

Thank you for the reply

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

Short answer "Use ALL the Views"

I use a combination of view orientations, not too surprising though. For electrical rooms (Panels) I usually start with elevations (or section). I find the orthogonal views are a little easier to deal with. When fussy bends are necessary a 3D view cropped down to that area is very helpful. I think lateral runs are easy to sketch initially in plan views. Then I use a working section view (and move/rotate it) to evaluate their path for obstructions. I use a couple open windows side by side for conduit sweeps and fitting adjustments; 3D and plan view. Sometimes I add in a third section view if it is particularly fussy.

Current Local Time

Sounds perfect. Sounds like I have some experimenting to do. Thanks a ton again. This will help me greatly

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time

I'll mention one other thing, far less obvious but an option to consider. For heavy runs of conduit it is logical to sketch out one first and then use the parallel conduit tool to place the rest of the collection. I've done that plenty of times. It's a bit fussier if your conduits are not all the same size.

Recently I encountered routing changing frequently as we worked through coordination issues. After the third revision...I opted for an In-Place family assigned to Electrical Equipment category.

I was already using a Unistrut family that provided something to hang the conduit from (the appearance of hanging). I added an invisible Model Line to it so I could then snap to it as I sketched model lines from node to node. Then I use the Pick 3D option to layout the path of a sweep. A profile family that was equivalent to all the sizes of conduits was assigned to and followed that path. It was a bit faster to make adjustments in the next couple iterations by moving hanger family and connected model lines; a bit easier. I don't know that I'd leap at that option again but it worked out in this instance.

Keep in mind that a sweep's profile won't necessarily follow the path correctly around bends, especially at elevation changes. They tend to rotate around the path a bit during the transition. In my case it was an approximation for coordination purposes. Since conduit doesn't provide any real electrical properties to any other elements yet, it didn't compromise any other design elements.