Thread: Railing "Edit Profile" similar to wall "Edit Profile"?

Current Local Time
    07:04 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Railing "Edit Profile" similar to wall "Edit Profile"?

I have an exterior deck with railing attached to the outside. I want to run a set of stairs along side and its railing, attached to the outside of the stringers, is to align vertically with the deck railing above. Where these two railings intersect, the stair railing should stop at the deck railing, resulting in a triangular portion of star railing. I was hoping to find a tool similar to "edit profile" for walls, that would let me modify the stair railing's shape in elevation (see attached image).

Is there a tool or some trick to making a portion of railing triangular? Or maybe this configuration of stairs adjacent to a deck is not practical and so nobody has done this? It seems possible, and I'm sure I've seen an actual similar condition where a railing fills in the triangular space between a stair and a floor above (where in Revit the stair could conflict with the floor above without being obvious, I guess).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2017-10-25 at 8.49.29 AM.png  

Current Local Time
    08:04 AM

Haven't tried this, but I'd guess you could Edit the Railing's Path (the magenta Sketch line) and split it at the bend.
    Then you can select the top half and change it's properties to "flat".
    You'll have to figure out yourself where to break it to get the flat part at the right height. I don't believe Revit can help with that.

Current Local Time

Thanks for the idea - I hadn't thought about trying that. Unfortunately, this moves the problem to the bottom, because the railing is still rectangular in the triangular space.

Current Local Time
    03:04 AM

Quote Originally Posted by lost again again View Post
    I have an exterior deck with railing attached to the outside. I want to run a set of stairs along side and its railing, attached to the outside of the stringers, is to align vertically with the deck railing above. Where these two railings intersect, the stair railing should stop at the deck railing, resulting in a triangular portion of star railing. I was hoping to find a tool similar to "edit profile" for walls, that would let me modify the stair railing's shape in elevation (see attached image).

Is there a tool or some trick to making a portion of railing triangular? Or maybe this configuration of stairs adjacent to a deck is not practical and so nobody has done this? It seems possible, and I'm sure I've seen an actual similar condition where a railing fills in the triangular space between a stair and a floor above (where in Revit the stair could conflict with the floor above without being obvious, I guess).
    Nothing to add to this to help you (yet) but I currently have a project where I need exactly the same thing.

I'm eagerly awaiting an answer to this, but will keep trying to work it out when I get back to my project.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Needham View Post
    Nothing to add to this to help you (yet) but I currently have a project where I need exactly the same thing.
    Thank you for the confirmation. I've also confirmed with my architect that the condition does indeed exist in the real world, and so the question is now doubly not moot.

For now, I'm editing the stair railing sketch to delete the portion that conflicts with the horizontal railing above and will see how far into the project I can hide this missing element. I hope this is resolved before someone actually falls through the hole between stair and deck above at the project site.