Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What controls Window inset?

Current Local Time
    12:32 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

What controls Window inset? [solved]

So I created my first window, from the 'Metric Window.rtf' template. What I can't see is what controls the inset. I created my own 'frame inset' parameter, off the face of the exterior wall in the family file, but when inserted into another project the inset is much bigger. What am I missing..? Is the window inserted with reference to wall center line? Is that optional? In case where is that function? And what is good practice to control inset?

EDIT: Solved.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171108_012454.png 
Views:	507 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	32012  
    Last edited by dukof; November 8th, 2017 at 12:26 PM. Reason: solved

Current Local Time
    06:32 PM

What I do is create a ref. plane locked to the exterior face of the wall, then I create ref. planes for the window frame(about 1' inside the opening) I dimension from the ref plane on the wall to the ref. plane that is the exterior face of window frame, then give that the "inset Parameter" I build the entire window inset from the wall, and as I add geometry I test it to make sure it moves properly with the inset parameter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	32038

Current Local Time
    06:32 PM

Note if you want a window that can project from the wall face, you have to plan that into your family by having a Projection ref plane and parameter then do your inset from there, so ie if your projection is 0 and your inset is 0 your window is at the ext. face of wall, if your projection is 2" and your inset is 4" then the inset from ext. face of wall is only 2". Unfortunately revit doesn't allow negative numbers so you can't just use one parameter to move a window in our out.

"I am NOT a Revit tutor!"
    Current Local Time
    03:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrownaia View Post
    Note if you want a window that can project from the wall face, you have to plan that into your family by having a Projection ref plane and parameter then do your inset from there, so ie if your projection is 0 and your inset is 0 your window is at the ext. face of wall, if your projection is 2" and your inset is 4" then the inset from ext. face of wall is only 2". Unfortunately revit doesn't allow negative numbers so you can't just use one parameter to move a window in our out.
    while I've never used this for window offset purposes it does work well with just about any family type for having the ability to have negative values for offsets. It is still two parameters rather than one though

Current Local Time
    05:32 PM

If the window is moving farther inbound in the project than it is in the family editor, changes are its not properly constrained to the wall face (as Scott indicates how to do) in your family.

If you want to check that, in the family editor, edit the type of the wall, and make it thicker. If it doesnt move the way you want, it needs more constraints.

FWIW, the workaround of using two parameters (as both gents allude to above) to allow negative values for offsets, works like a treat. All of my Doors and windows are like that. Wait, maybe the windows are. Definitely the Doors.

Current Local Time
    11:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    while I've never used...
    O=
    OF=if(O>0,O,0)
    OB=if(O<0,abs(O),0)

Is possibly my favorite trio of parameter/formula (i think it first blogged by David Light)

So much so I've a trio (so 9 parameters total for three inputs) for OX, OY & OZ in my CWP parent rig family.

What's seldom mentioned, it does get tricky locking children/elements to the correct ref. Plane when the conditional statement is "active" and the 0 results in two sitting on top of each other - even when using named ref. Planes. So what i also do is expand the formula somewhat, to expand* the family (quite literally) also.

Editing Mode=y/n
    O=
    OF=if(and(not(Editing Mode),O>0,O,if(Editing Mode,Explode Distance,0))
    OB=if(and(Editing Mode,O<0,abs(O),if(Editing Mode,Explode Distance/2,0))

Where <Explode Distance> is a length parameter, itself also tied to a y/n "Explode" parameter.

I know, I complicate things.

We don't really do punched windows in basic walls, but our rft for windows have all these controls as standard.

7.    #7
    Current Local Time
    03:32 AM

Quote Originally Posted by sdbrownaia View Post
    What I do is create a ref. plane locked to the exterior face of the wall, then I create ref. planes for the window frame(about 1' inside the opening) I dimension from the ref plane on the wall to the ref. plane that is the exterior face of window frame, then give that the "inset Parameter" I build the entire window inset from the wall, and as I add geometry I test it to make sure it moves properly with the inset parameter. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	window.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	32038

I did this and now i am having a problem where every window inserts with an offset despite the fact that the offset is set to 0 in the family. Also in my windows legend the plan components all show an offset which doesn't seem to have any relationship to the parameter as it doesn’t change despite me changing the parameter value.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by seychellian; November 14th, 2020 at 04:26 AM.

8.    #8
    Current Local Time
    05:32 PM

Quote Originally Posted by seychellian View Post
    I did this and now i am having a problem where every window inserts with an offset despite the fact that the offset is set to 0 in the family. Also in my windows legend the plan components all show an offset which doesn't seem to have any relationship to the parameter as it does change despite me changing the parameter value.

Any ideas?
    Without seeing your family or a screenshot, all we can do is guess that you have a constraint wrong.

The method Scott described DOES work, and you can pick (just like any other revit family) whether or not those dimensions are Instance or Type controlled. If its not working, something in your family needs to be corrected.

9.    #9
    Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    Without seeing your family or a screenshot, all we can do is guess that you have a constraint wrong.

The method Scott described DOES work, and you can pick (just like any other revit family) whether or not those dimensions are Instance or Type controlled. If its not working, something in your family needs to be corrected.
    Hey, i have attached an example of the family which has the problem.

I am new at building families so i have no doubt there are some issues with the way that they're built. Feel fry to advise/criticize.

edit: The browser is saying that i cant upload any file larger that 1.95MB. Is that right? It sounds very small for Revit.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by seychellian; November 13th, 2020 at 06:05 PM.

10.    #10
    Current Local Time

On another note.... do architectural firms typically build every window and door family that they put into their projects? That seems very labor intensive and time consuming. Especially for small firms or sole practitioners. I am finding myself spending huge amounts of time building 40+ window fittings in this project most of which have different configurations and peculiarities which i have been unable to find in generic families. I'm still trying to get my head around how its done.