Thread: Revit MEP & IFC Imports

Current Local Time
    07:30 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Revit MEP & IFC Imports

I am having an issue with the importing of IFC files that were created by a client using ArchiCad. I originally thought it was an issue with the way the IFC file was being created but have since figured out it was a Revit issue. The issue is with the ceiling grids. The ceiling comes in but there are no visible grid lines. I have tried creating a ceiling grid in Revit and exported it to an IFC file and then imported the IFC file that was created and got the same problem, so I know it is not the file created by ArchiCad. In an IFC file viewer the grid is visible but does not come into Revit. I cannot change the ceiling family in Revit either. Has anyone run inot this issue? Does anyone know the proper IFC settings so that the ceiling grid lines come in visible?

Thanks in advance.

Current Local Time
    05:30 AM

It sounds like a material issue. The ceiling grid lines in Revit are a material. I'm not sure how Archicad symbolizes the grid lines. Can you apply a material to the ceiling after the import while in Revit? It doesn't really matter what program while using import/export with any extension, there always seems to be a disconnect somewhere.

Current Local Time

Jrobker,

Thanks for the reply. I tried to change the material type with no luck. I did hear back from the guys at Autodesk. Here is what they said:

"After some testing, I was able to see the behavior you are seeing.
    I have logged it with our Development group to see if they can provide more information as to what is going on, and what (if any) the workaround may be. We cannot guarantee that they will be able to find a fix for this issue, nor can we give you a timeline as to when we will hear from them. Having said that, if I do not hear from them in a couple of days, I will check in. When I do get any new information, I will pass it along."

So it appears that it is an issue with the IFC import/export function in Revit. I will post any other information that they send me. For know I guess I will have to recreate the ceilings.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    05:30 AM

Replied at the other forum too, Revit does not export the grid to .nwc (Navisworks) format so it does not surprise me that grids aren't showing up in .ifc either.

Current Local Time

Just an update.

I have spoken with the architect who had sent the IFC file to me and ArchiCad has the same issue. The ceiling comes in but the grid does not. I think it may be because IFC only exports the 3D information of the model and the gris, from my understanding, is a 2D element of it so that it does not get exported.