Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Multi-category schedule

Forum Co-Founder Alfredo Medina's Avatar
    Current Local Time
    05:10 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Multi-category schedule

We have different kinds of schedules: common schedules by category, key schedules, take-off schedules, and multi-category schedules. I find the first 3 kinds very useful, but I have yet to find a good use for the last one. Can anybody share a good example of the usage of a multi-category schedule?
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; September 10th, 2011 at 03:04 PM.

Current Local Time
    10:10 AM

I seem to recall we've used Multi-Category schedules for "what's in a room" lists... and so, in the same way, you can use them to schedule multiple-category assemblies - and also catch categories that don't appear in the standard schedule list (generic models for instance)

Current Local Time
    04:10 AM

I use them for a ton of stuff. Generic Models and Architectural Columns dont schedule normally, and i'll also use them (as snowy alluded to) for complete lists of items that dont fall in one category or another (Millwork Schedules are Casework and Generic models for us, Restroom Equipment Schedules are SE and Generic Models and Plumbing Fixtures, etc...)

Current Local Time

Ah, interesting, so I can schedule assemblies and generic models with multi-category schedules. Good. But, why is the list of available fields so limited? For example: suppose I am interested in finding the volume of concrete for a foundation. So I create a schedule of foundations (footings), a schedule of columns (piers), and a schedule of framing (beams). Now I got 3 separate subtotals of volumes. I was thinking that a multi-category schedule would be a lot more useful if I could find the parameters that I need, such as in this case, "volume". There is "width", "height", and "length" but those parameters do not refer to structural elements. If I had "volume" there, I could schedule footings, piers, and beams in the same schedule, filter everything else, and get one nice total, instead of 3 subtotals that I cannot totalize. So that's why I say that this feature could be a lot more useful. Wishlist?

Current Local Time
    10:10 AM

I "think" what you're seeing there (in terms of accessible fields) is a little like the same behaviour you get when selecting more than one category in a filter; you only get parameters that appear in all selections. If it didn't "work" like this, you'd get "dead" fields in your schedule when one category doesn't have a parameter (ie. a concrete slab won't ever have an electrical load)
    Last edited by snowyweston; September 10th, 2011 at 04:48 PM.

Current Local Time

Nah.. Even if I copy/paste all my structural elements of the foundation to a brand new file, and try a multi-category schedule, the list of available fields is the same, even though "volume" is a common parameter to the only 3 model categories that exist in the project.

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    09:10 AM

Alf,
    The Multi-Category Schedule only shows OOTB parameters which by Default are present in Family Templates. Volumes does not fall into that category. But I agree, this is somewhat doubtful, since Length and Width are also not present in all categories.

However, following the RRoE (Revit Rules of Engagement) there should be a backdoor:

1. Create a Generic Model family. Can be completely empty, but a simple handling geometry would be nice. Leave the Category on Generic Model
    2. Create a Shared Parameter for Volume and import in the project.
    3. Since Multi Category Schedule is the ONLY schedule to put a GM in, AND you used a SP Volume should now be showing in the parameter list to put into the schedule.
    4. Add this parameter to the other families too.

Haven't tested this though, but Revit logic demands this to work...

Current Local Time

Yes, but I don't want to erase my structural elements and re-do them as generic models. What we have here is definitely an item for our wishlists. I wish that a multi-category schedule could allow me to schedule multiple categories with parameters that are common in the categories, such as "volume", which exists in "structural columns", "structural foundation", and "structural framing". Sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

"Mark Twain"
    Current Local Time
    09:10 AM

You're missing my point (which is quite brilliant if I may say so, mainly cause to my own surprise it actually works...):

RRoE 1: A Shared Parameter can be scheduled.
    RRoE 2: A Generic Model can only be scheduled through the Multi-Category Schedule.

1+ 2 = 3

RRoE 3: ANY Shared Parameter used in a Generic Model will be scheduled in a Multi Category Schedule. This rule also applies to a custom Volume parameter in a Generic Model.

Shared Parameters can exist in multiple families and categories. In a Multi Category Schedule they will be shown for all families that have them applied. That's what they're for. So if you apply the same Shared Parameter in both you Dummy Generic Model AND you're structural components they will be scheduable. So the brilliance in this all:

Create a dummy Generic Model. Apply ALL Shared Parameters you have and your Multi Category will be able to schedule it all.
    And in your case, Edit the family, apply the Shared Parameter for volume which you created for the GM and load back into the project...
    See attached...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails multi category schedule.png  
    Last edited by mdradvies; September 10th, 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Current Local Time

Yes, I like your logic and your new RRoE (Revit Rules of Engagement) <--- I like that, cool

BUT...

Your new shared parameter does not calculate the volume of the structural members, does it? No, you have to input the data, and of course it will have no connectivity with the model. On the other hand, my point is, if I already have the data, the volume of concrete columns, concrete beams, and concrete footings, how come multi-category schedules don't allow me to put these 3 categories in one single schedule and calculate totals for that common parameter, the volume? I have to do 3 separate schedules to get volumes per category, and there is no way to add the results of the three schedules. I guess the reason is that even though the 3 structural categories have a parameter named "volume", internally, they are 3 different parameters.