Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy/monitor mechanical equipment to electrical model

Current Local Time
    07:37 AM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Copy/monitor mechanical equipment to electrical model

So I thought I'd just start a discussion on a topic I've been thinking about recently

Our current workflow is to link the MECH model to our ELEC model and place a motor symbol with an electrical connector over the generic mechanical equipment location. We then enter the instance type info, load, voltage, phase, location, etc., which has already been entered into the MECH equipment family. This seems very redundant to me.

Is it possible to add the electrical connector to the mechanical equipment family in the MECH model and, once that model is linked, copy/monitor the equipment into my ELEC model. Obviously hoping that I have the ability to circuit and schedule the equipment in my model.

Is this workflow possible? Is there a better workflow that I should consider? It really seems silly to have to enter the information twice when both disciplines are in-house. Any input on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

~Jacob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time
    04:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerta75 View Post
    Is it possible to add the electrical connector to the mechanical equipment family in the MECH model and, once that model is linked, copy/monitor the equipment into my ELEC model
    It is indeed. I use something similar for connections to plumbing fixtures in an Architectural model.

Put a small Electrical Equipment/Fixture family inside the Mechanical Equipment and make it Shared and NOT Workplane based.
    It doesnt really matter what this family is as you can replace it with something else during the batch copy monitor process, so keep it simple and invisible so it doesnt affect the mechanical model. Make Types for all the different connections you want to be able to copy.

In your electrical model go to Coordination Settings and set the batch copy and Type Mapping options. Here you can choose to replace the placeholder families in the Mechanical Equipment with whatever electrical equipment you need, with symbols connectors etc.

Just choose Copy The Fixtures and check Coordinatiion Review whenever you open your model and any changes to the Mechanical model will come through as new or moved objects in your model.

The only limitation with this method is that Copy Monitor doesnt copy Instance data, it just places the same (Or specified) Type.
    So any data you want to use will need to be set at Type level.

If you want to be able to set Instance data in the mechanical equipment and get that into your electrical model you will have to make a workflow using dynamo or an excel export/import process. (Run Copy Monitor to set positions. Get objects in both models that have the same coordinates. Copy parameter data into E families).

Current Local Time

Thanks much, Joseph. I will give this a try and see if I can follow along.

Current Local Time

Thanks again! Got the copy/monitor portion working flawlessly. I’m struggling to get a dyn script I found online to work correctly. Essentially it compares the coordinates of the linked MECH equipment and my equipment. It then assigns the “Type ID” and “Type Num” of the linked item to the MECH item in my ELEC model.
    The script is getting hung up on the part that takes the confirmed matches between the model, a list of bools, and maps them to the mechanical elements in my model. It just returns null.
    Is there a public script that you use for this process? I’d love to have something to compare the one I’m using to.

Current Local Time

If you can post the dyn I will have a look.

Current Local Time

Thank you for the offer! I think it's the List.Map node that is my issue. Let me know what you think. Here is the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3hf2uxpr2...dFile.dyn?dl=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dynamo Script.png  
    Last edited by Gerta75; February 13th, 2018 at 07:12 PM.

Current Local Time

Nice. This method is correct but I couldnt get List Map to work either so I tried something different.
    If you assume that there can only be 1 possible match with the same coordinate you can use 'First Index Of' instead of 'Does Intersect'.
    Basically for each coordinate out of the linked model it will search through the list of coordinates out of the project until it finds a match and then give the index of the match. This can be used to get the Mech Equipment that goes with that coordinate;

So this gets the index number of the matching coordinate in the list and then gets the Mech Equipment at that index. Which should be the same as in the link.

I didnt have a project set up with CM handy to test it so I used a randomised list of the same coords instead, but this should work with elements and coords from the link.
    Note that if you do have 2x Mech equipment with identical coordinates this will always pick whichever comes first in the list twice..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails matchcoords.JPG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by josephpeel; February 14th, 2018 at 02:01 PM.

Current Local Time

Joseph, thank you again! I will give this a run and let you know how it goes. I appreciate you taking the time to look at this for me.

Jake

Current Local Time

No problem, its something I want to use on projects too.

Current Local Time
    08:37 AM

List.Map always made my brain hurt.
    But once Dynamo introduced the "@Level", it pretty much eliminated the need for List.Map
    I haven't downloaded your .dyn, but couldn't you use @Level 2 in your FilterByBoolMask and pipe the All Elements list and the Disconnect mask directly into the FilterByBoolMask node, thereby eliminating the Map?