Thread: Levels and Design Options

Current Local Time
    12:56 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!

Levels and Design Options

Hey!

first post; been a lurker for awhile. i had a question regarding design options and levels. i have three design options all of them have different levels on different worksets (ie Design option 1 goes with workset 1, design option 2 goes with workset 2, etc). i did this so that i can apply view templates and just activate the design option/workset and its a simple step. my levels are all different heights for each design option and the levels are placed in the workset, however when i flip back and forth between design options i have the change my workset as well. is there a better way to put levels in design options, maybe attaching the design option to a workset?

Revit 2018.3 if that helps

thanks!

(general: change levels with design options and not worksets)

Current Local Time
    01:56 PM

To start I would not use worksets for design options. Your asking for issues down stream.

If one does need levels to change between design options I might think about using links (level is in the link) where you can then move the whole link in tact between options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

Awesome! thanks; changed my design options into linked models and it is way easier to control

Current Local Time

another quick question; how do you control the floor plans for each view inside the sheet file (rvt file where you merge everything)? I have each design option 1, 2, 3 but in the sheet file doesn't have views associated to any levels yet

the levels for each design option are at different heights

Current Local Time

If you map the views between links utilizing visibility graphics, then when you bind them any elements in those view will also be bound and become part of the file.

Mr. Revit OpEd
    Current Local Time
    11:56 AM

What is the purpose? Why are different levels a design option? Are you trying to decide what the right floor to floor height height should be? Are there different house plan options, as in you can build your house with 9 ceilings or 10 ceilings or...?

Linked Files are a tedious trip down By Linked View management. Look into that concept. It involves creating views in each model assigned to the correct design option and then overriding every view the link is visible in the host model to show a specific view in the link. Its very nearly doing the same work multiple times...times every link.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Stafford View Post

Linked Files are a tedious trip down By Linked View management. Look into that concept. It involves creating views in each model assigned to the correct design option and then overriding every view the link is visible in the host model to show a specific view in the link. Its very nearly doing the same work multiple times...times every link.
    Yes it is a little tedious to setup linked files and mapping views between them, though not really that much. The gains though can be huge. Setting up typical view and mapping to multiple locations means you can make one change and be certain it is replicated exactly in all locations.

On example
    Consider projects that are very repetitive with options like a housing development. Every house is the same general footprint but with options. One is gable roof line one is shed, the. Add options of board and batt vs lap siding. Setting each of these up as a design option and the. Linking into a central site model and placing the Houses accordingly. Means a single set of CDs to manage but a uniques site plan for each and if need a full street elevation of each house with chosen options.
    Maybe a days work on the front end to setup links and views, but rewarded on the other end.

Obviously it is not a solution for every project, but when it works it can have huge rewards down stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Local Time

yah im up for setting it up; i think it would make my workflow faster. but maybe im not setting it up right. i guess i should give a little more detail. i have different design options because i am trying to use revit for concept phase of development. I have different linked models because the levels are at different heights in my linked models:

linked model 1:

lvl 1 = 10'
    lvl 2= 20'
    lvl 3= 30'
    lvl 4= 40'

linked model 2:

lvl 1 = 15'
    lvl 2= 25'
    lvl 3= 35'
    lvl 4= 45'

linked model 3:

lvl 1 = 5'
    lvl 2= 17'
    lvl 3= 25'
    lvl 4= 50'

Sheet model:

How do I get my views set up in my sheet model if they are all different levels with the same name? just linked in? I was just going to set up view templates that turn off/on the linked models in the views for each option in the sheets