Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Revit PC and dual monitor advice please

Current Local Time
    01:43 PM

Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by willsud View Post
    FWIW I used to always buy iiyama monitors here in the UK in the distant past but for many years now have always bought Eizo monitors - same reason as the workstation people I use - I think they are the best - for me, based on my experiences - but I work on my own and so I can be as eccentric as I wish
    Thanks again. Can't say I've encountered Eizo monitors. Is there any reason why you feel they're better (for you and anyone else!) than others?

On the subject of two monitors, Is 27/28" the max size most would consider i.e. is two 32" monitors pushing it!?

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by iru69 View Post
    Glad those helped. I'm kind of transitioning out of keeping those up to date, but most of it is still conceptually relevant.

I only skimmed the thread, but agree with the general sentiments/advice being offered.

I don't know if they offer this particular Dell in the UK, but we just picked up a Dell XPS Tower Special Edition - up to i7-8086K (6-core 5GHz), 64GB RAM, 2TB SSD, GTX 1080 all in a super compact professional looking case. Only downsides are it's not easily upgradeable (though we never upgrade, we just buy new), and it comes with all the typical Dell crapware. Otherwise a very slick package. I've built my fair share of PC's, and for our needs, this was just easier and close enough in price to be totally worth it... and it "just works" out of the box.

Here in the US, Iliyama isn't widely available, so that's why it doesn't get mentioned as often (I know the brand has historically been considered top notch, but I don't know anything about the model you mentioned). Along with that Dell, we picked up a couple of those Dell U2718Q 4K 27" displays, and they're awesome (which replace the awesome but aging P2715Q 4K displays).

Best of luck!
    You can't transition out of it, Autodesk link to your guidance on their site!

Thanks for that, I'll have another look at the options from Dell, some of the quotes I've received are Dell workstations and seem reasonable for the price.

Worried that if I go for a cheaper monitor, I'll regret not getting the Dell 4k's, everyone that has them loves them!

Current Local Time

Is general consensus to ignore Auotdesk's stability advice on graphics cards i.e. just get a gaming card that will give you more performance for the same cost?
    I've had it in the past where Autodesk have just washed their hands of support because the hardware wasn't to their spec/approval, that's once in years so I'm probably worrying about nothing but downtime is more costly than the difference in cost for the graphics cards.

Current Local Time
    07:43 AM

There are bits and pieces in each of those 4 machine specs, that i would want. But i wouldnt personally want to spend money on any of the 4, when there are better options out there.

1. I would buy ANY machine with a Xeon. i7 all the way.
    2. RAM speed DOES seem to affect Revit performance pretty intensely. I got 3200MHZ in my machine. There is 4k, but its super expensive.
    3. If you can afford it, M.2 NVMe is the way id go, personally.
    4. I wouldnt waste a dime on Quadros. Id go GTX/RDX all the way.

I have NEVER (in over a decade) experienced Autodesk "washing their hands" of Support cases because machines dont meet "approved specs," and i havent had a machine that met "approved specs" since 2009. I have seen Autodesk reply to a SR saying "They arent able to reproduce the problem on their end, which MIGHT mean its hardware spec related," but thats NOT the same thing. It also DOESNT mean that the problem IS hardware spec related.

For what its worth, ive never had a single bit of instability or reliability problems, that could conclusively been said to be because i was on non-approved hardware. And when there HAVe been glitches or graphical issues (mine have never been persistent, or major) there has been ZERO evidence that a Quadro or Xeon would have solved it.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    There are bits and pieces in each of those 4 machine specs, that i would want. But i wouldnt personally want to spend money on any of the 4, when there are better options out there.

1. I would buy ANY machine with a Xeon. i7 all the way.
    2. RAM speed DOES seem to affect Revit performance pretty intensely. I got 3200MHZ in my machine. There is 4k, but its super expensive.
    3. If you can afford it, M.2 NVMe is the way id go, personally.
    4. I wouldnt waste a dime on Quadros. Id go GTX/RDX all the way.

I have NEVER (in over a decade) experienced Autodesk "washing their hands" of Support cases because machines dont meet "approved specs," and i havent had a machine that met "approved specs" since 2009. I have seen Autodesk reply to a SR saying "They arent able to reproduce the problem on their end, which MIGHT mean its hardware spec related," but thats NOT the same thing. It also DOESNT mean that the problem IS hardware spec related.

For what its worth, ive never had a single bit of instability or reliability problems, that could conclusively been said to be because i was on non-approved hardware. And when there HAVe been glitches or graphical issues (mine have never been persistent, or major) there has been ZERO evidence that a Quadro or Xeon would have solved it.
    Thanks. Latest i7 over the i9 or anything from AMD?

Raid for M.2 NVMe? What does anyone think to HP's turbo drives?

Current Local Time
    07:43 AM

For Revit? I7. Hence I didn't write i9.

I personally stick with Intel.

Wouldn't bother much with the raid setup. The software will be a bigger bottleneck than you'll get, value wise per dollar.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
    For Revit? I7. Hence I didn't write i9.

I personally stick with Intel.

Wouldn't bother much with the raid setup. The software will be a bigger bottleneck than you'll get, value wise per dollar.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
    Director
    Parallax Team, Inc.
    Thanks again.

Sorry, should have been explicit, why i7 over i9? Latest generation?

Current Local Time
    12:43 PM

Revit needs a lot of single core performance, so you pick 1 from the top of the list below.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

If you look at the price, the 9700k fits the best, the i9 is faster so if money is no problem, just buy the 9900k.
    Add 32Gb ram a 512Gb SSD and a RTX 2070 and you have a superb PC for the coming years.
    Last edited by Marcel Jansen; November 12th, 2018 at 09:52 AM.

Current Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by mjajansen View Post
    Revit needs a lot of single core performance, so you pick 1 from the top of the list below.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

If you look at the price, the 9700k fits the best, the i9 is faster so if money is no problem, just buy the 9900k.
    Add 32Gb ram a 512Gb SSD and a RTX 2070 and you have a superb PC for the coming years.
    Really appreciate the link thanks, I was going to Google single thread performance and you've saved me a job!

Current Local Time
    05:43 AM

I would add that for Revit, the 8086k would be a better buy than the 9900k.

The 9700k is only 100mhz maximum boost slower than the 9900k; so that said UNLESS you just need the highest specs; I have a hard time justifying the 9900k unless you need cores.

I had the chance to overclock both the 8086k and 9700k to 5ghz; just using a standard Cinebench benchmark they were literally identical in results. I have only done a few 9700k builds so far but I honestly wish Intel just released the 8086k with a soldered on IHS as the new 9700k.

AMD with the 2700x is a great value option; but the issue is single core performance with AMD. The refresh (which is the 2700x) did help that a lot but I just can not recommend AMD for Revit. Not to mention Intel has a much more forgiving memory controller (RAM controller). I see AMD being more of a consideration in the Threadripper high core count area.